Question Recently built PC having 'floaty' mouse problems and wallpaper magically going black ?

TyroneTiggles

Prominent
Jan 24, 2022
First time poster here so ill keep it nice and simple!

So whats the issue I am having? Well, I'll list them out below as each doesn't seem to be tied to one another but may be?
  1. When unplugging a USB device from my computer case's front USB hub, the PC's wallpaper goes black instantly across both monitors.
  2. All of a sudden my mouse has been noticeably 'floaty'. I am not too sure how else to describe it other than the movements are 100% off for some reason.
I should note these issues both began a week ago and did not occur prior. I could not name a single thing I changed during that time to my setup on the hardware/software end of things other than maybe a graphics driver update like 2 weeks ago? I ended up going through the event viewer seeking some pointers to my issues and nothing notable popped up there other than a bunch of DCOM errors with the NZXT Cam software - I brushed that off and assumed that wasnt the problem as that has been happening for months prior to this happening.

At this stage, im convinced its a hardware issue (either the GPU or Motherboard as other articles have pointed to these two components resulting in similar problems)

Any help or guidance in diagnosing my issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

TyroneTiggles

Prominent
Jan 24, 2022
Tried to enter safe mode and check if the drivers may have played a part in the problem and the same issues were present in safe mode aswell :(

Also, the mouse feeling 'floaty' is clearly visible in BIOS too which is odd...

List full specs of your system.
When unplugging a USB device from my computer case's front USB hub, the PC's wallpaper goes black instantly across both monitors.
Does the same thing happen, if you connect/disconnect USB device to rear ports on your pc?
If not, then there's some issue with front USB ports - improperly connected, damaged, shorted out.
All of a sudden my mouse has been noticeably 'floaty'. I am not too sure how else to describe it other than the movements are 100% off for some reason.
Don't quite understand, what "floaty"mouse means here.
Check optical sensor of your mouse. Probably some dust/hairs in there. Clean it. Try a different mouse.

TyroneTiggles

Prominent
Jan 24, 2022
List full specs of your system.

Does the same thing happen, if you connect/disconnect USB device to rear ports on your pc?
If not, then there's some issue with front USB ports - improperly connected, damaged, shorted out.

Check optical sensor of your mouse. Probably some dust/hairs in there. Clean it. Try a different mouse.

Full specs:
CPU: i9-10900k
GPU: EVGA 3080 XC3 ULTRA GAMING
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Prime Z590-A
MEMORY: G.SKILL ripjaws V Series 4x8Gb DDR4 3600
COOLER: NZXT Kraken X73
PSU: CORSAIR HX1200
STORAGE:
1x SAMSUNG 970 EVO 2TB
1x SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus 500Gb
1x SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA 2TB

The wallpaper turning black hasnt occurred since last night. Originally this occurred only when using the front USB ports. 90% of the time it would happen on startup and if not on startup ~10 minutes later.

Its hard to explain but thats exactly what it is, the movement feels detached from the actual movements im making with the mouse. I've tried multiple mice & cleaned them thoroughly as well. Wired & wireless mice had the same issue. Its like i've built up muscle memory of how the mouse moved before and the 'floaty' feeling is extremely noticeable now and throwing me off in every game/application im using..

ALSO - tried using the iGPU and the issue with black wallpaper showing up & mouse feeling detached was still there :sad:

Last edited:

TyroneTiggles

Prominent
Jan 24, 2022
Wanted to give an update on the problem I am having. I was looking into anything that I might have changed to my setup prior to the mouse issues happening and one came to my mind.. I bought this cheap USB switch to plug into both my desktop/work laptop and make transitioning between the two seamless. After looking into the specific model I purchased, it seems they are missing some certification and spoke about something in regards to the way electricity traveled across the device and two either the desktop/laptop. At this point im like 99% sure this has something to do with it and im not too sure how to gauge whether or not some of my components were affected by this device. Link to the USB switch I purchased below:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6GD9JO?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

If anyone has any ideas on how I could check on individual components for electrical issues, please throw them my way. Thanks!

TyroneTiggles

Prominent
Jan 24, 2022
Posted this well over a year ago and wanted to report that I am still running into the same issues to this day after having replaced all the components of the or with the exception being a few peripherals. I have now gone through 5-6 different mice (both wired and wireless and differing brands: logitech, razer, etc) with no success on that front.

I am convinced the issue is at the hardware level at this point and/or electrically related as the issue has now shown up on my laptop as well and I believe the only components that were ever used on there were my microphone and mouse. Although this was the case, I have tried unplugging all of those devices and using a brand new mouse with none of the peripherals attached and the problem persists. Hence why I am convinced that my original computer damaged the peripherals somehow and those problems were transmitted to the newly built desktop I am currently on, to which then transmitted to my laptop which I used 'faulty' peripherals on too.

Open to any new ideas that have popped up also here are the news specs if that may help:
CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K 3.2 GHz 16-Core Processor
MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMING WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5200 CL40 Memory
STORAGE:
- Western Digital Black SN850 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
- Western Digital Black SN850 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
- Crucial BX500 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA GAMING LE iCX3 GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB Video Card
PSU: Corsair HX1200 Platinum 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

x7007

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2015
did you find anything new? I guess it's not fixed yet. because those issues are not going to be changed by themself EMI RFI and long cables, that's my though now, need to investigate more with ferrites and LEDS lamps.