Recommended CD-R/HD configuration

G

In building my last 'puter, I've come across several different opinions of how to connect CD-RWs (and also CD/DVD-ROMs) and Hard Drives.
Some suggest having the CD-RW as Master and the CD/DVD-ROM device as Slave. Also, some suggest having the HD as Master and the CD-RW as Slave in the SAME channel.
What are YOUR recommendations on this issue? (use the A7V board as an example, if you wish, with its ATA/100 controller). By far, the usergroup is the one I visit the most, so your opinion is greatly trusted. (BTW: and whatever recommendation is made, is the one I WILL be using on my next machine!)

G

From what I know, I'd recommend leaving the HD alone on its channel. When the CD is requested, it kind of stops the bus for its request, so it slows down the access time on the HD.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have the Asus A7V.
I don't have an ATA100 HD so I have the ATA100 disabled in the bios and the promise controlled disabled in Device manager so as to free up IRQs.
I have my HD on the ATA66 primary as master.
The DVD is on the secondary as master and the CDRW is on the secondary as slave.
Since I put this baby together I have yet to make a coaster.

G

I have a P-III 700(coppermine) running on a 440BX MoBo and I am also running the hard drive as master on the primary channel and DVD-ROM and CD-RW drives as master and slave on the secondary channel. This configuration has proved to be very stable and I also have never created a coaster in my 7 months of owning the drive, not even at 8X recording!

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You should separate your HDD from your CD-ROM ide channel.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://zidane222.cjb.net" target="_new">http://zidane222.cjb.net</A></b>

G

I was using my CD-RW (Plextor 8/4/32A) and my CD (Kenwood TrueX 72x) in the same channel until one time using Nero one pop up window appeared suggesting me use different channels for my CD and CD-RW. I puted my HD as master of the primary channel, the CD as slave of the primary channel and the CD-RW as master of the secundary channel. It worked better.
Using Nero for benchmarking I accidentally discovered that the Kenwood works a lot better (a lot it's about 2 to 3 times faster) as master... So I connected it as master of the secundary channel and the CD-RW as slave of the HD and I think it's the better configuration so far.
Good luck,

G

Yeah, never put a HD and CD or CDRW on the same channel. If the hard drive is ATA33, ATA66, or ATA100, it will step down to a lower transfer rate to maintain compatability if a CD or CDRW is added as a slave on the same channel. Most CD or CDRW drives will interface at PIO mode 4 or ATA33 if it's a newer model. Your hard drive will match this if put on the same IDE channel.

I would move the hard drive to the ATA100 bus, as the drive may not actually run faster, but disk cache speeds will improve as the cache will be able to mode data at the ATA100 rate. Put the CD as a master and the CDRW as a slave on your ATA66 channel.

Sure, you can get slightly faster burns with the CD and CDRW on seperate channels, but you sacrafice +30% of your hard drive performance in the process.