[SOLVED] Recommended fans configuration in a Corsair 5000D Airflow case ?

Dec 5, 2021
Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow
CPU: 12900k
cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Display Liquid CPU Cooler

Corsair 5000D Airflow case comes with 2 fans and I will add CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Display Liquid CPU Cooler (which has three fans). Do I need any extra fans in the case?

If so, would it be a good choice to put 2 Corsair CO-9050044-WW ML Series ML140 140 mm fans or should I get 120mm fans?
The case can fit 10x 120mm or 4x 140mm cooling fans. I think 140mm fans would be quieter than 120mm

Solution
You have a hot processor and a hot graphics card.
You are going to have to decide which is more important.
Catch 22.
If you mount the aio in front, taking in air, the cpu will be cooled best, but the graphics card and motherboard vrm heat sinks will get hot air to work with.
OTOH, if you mount the radiator on top, it will get warmed gpu and motherboard air to work with, making the cpu cooling less effective.
On balance, I suggest a top mount.
Fill out the front intakes, either 3 120mm fans or two 140mm fans.
I would opt for 140mm fans which can move more air quietly.
Noctua has some good ones, up to 3000RPM barn burners.
I might think about 1500 rpm would be right.

In testing my 12900K outside the case, I temporarily used a noctua...
Dec 5, 2021
Noctua S12a is a good and very quiet fan, but they also make several 140mm fans that presumably would move more air at the same RPM.

I'd buy one and experiment. Trial and error, depending on your sensitivity to noise.
The 140mm fan is NF-A14. Do you know if I can fit this in Corsair 5000D? Or do I need to remove any of the fans that comes with the case?

https://noctua.at/en/products/fan?size=2650

See above for a complete list of Noctua 140 mm fans.

I know nothing at all about your case.

Normally, fan mounts are standardized......a random 120 mm fan should mount in a random 120 mm fan mount point in a random case.

I have no knowledge of any fans that may come with your case, but I would NOT be wedded to them.

Noctua A and S series are typically best when blowing through a simple grill.

The P and F series are typically best when blowing against something that offers more resistance....such as a heatsink or anything highly restrictive.

I'm using an F on my Noctua cooler, an A as an exhaust. I'm using an F as an intake through a simple grill rather than an A or S only because I had a spare F on hand. All of them PWM and all of them running at 800 rpm or lower via BIOS controls.

No issues at all.

Last edited:
You have a hot processor and a hot graphics card.
You are going to have to decide which is more important.
Catch 22.
If you mount the aio in front, taking in air, the cpu will be cooled best, but the graphics card and motherboard vrm heat sinks will get hot air to work with.
OTOH, if you mount the radiator on top, it will get warmed gpu and motherboard air to work with, making the cpu cooling less effective.
On balance, I suggest a top mount.
Fill out the front intakes, either 3 120mm fans or two 140mm fans.
I would opt for 140mm fans which can move more air quietly.
Noctua has some good ones, up to 3000RPM barn burners.
I might think about 1500 rpm would be right.

In testing my 12900K outside the case, I temporarily used a noctua NH-U12s.
It worked well enough. I tried CPU-Z stress test and monitored with hwmonitor.
In time about 3 cores reached 100c. and I presumed throttling.
The very good thing is that the cpu did not crash, but kept on running.
As I am writing this, I started another CPU-Z stress test.
Most cores max are at 98c, with a few at 100c. and presumably throttling.
I think if I add a second fan to the NH-D15s cooler, I may even avoid the 100c. instances.
Most of the time, you are not going to run all threads at 100c. so I am not overly worried.
The key is that a few hot cores does not seem to phase this cpu.

Solution