[SOLVED] Recommended Side-Mounted Fans?

JunkSniperJoe

Prominent
Feb 15, 2021
I've decided to do a build with the Corsair 5000D Airflow. This is the first case I've worked with that has both front and side mounted fans. While I'd just like to slap some Noctua's in there and call it a day, I'm concerned the side intake will mess up the airflow of the front intake. e.g. Side fans push too much of the air coming in from the front to the side, restricting overall airflow. The best solution I can think of is to get low(er) airflow fans for the sides and high(er) airflow for the front.

If it matters, I'm also placing a 360 aio at the top in pull config and a 120 exhaust in the back.

Solution
I'd say the side mounted fans are unnecessary. You don't NEED to fill every fan mount that a case offers.

The side mounted fans aren't going to reduce the effectiveness of your front mounted fans though.

-base-5000d-airflow-Gallery-5000D-AF-WHITE-29.png_1200Wx1200H
I'm tending to agree with the above.

I'm running two Corsair 750Ds and they look pretty similar to that pic...and I'm running without side fans.....2 intakes in front....3 exhausts out the top....and everything stays very cool. I think if I could add fans it would be a waste.

JunkSniperJoe

Prominent
Feb 15, 2021
I'm tending to agree with the above.

I'm running two Corsair 750Ds and they look pretty similar to that pic...and I'm running without side fans.....2 intakes in front....3 exhausts out the top....and everything stays very cool. I think if I could add fans it would be a waste.

I mostly wanted the side fans to help cool down the chipset on my x570 board, an Asus Tuf Pro Wifi. The chipset fan is going to be blocked by the GPU. I thought that maybe I could get around potential cooling issues by moving more air into the case.

JunkSniperJoe

Prominent
Feb 15, 2021
But the 3 front intake fans blow directly across the mobo...

How exactly is the chipset fan blocked by the GPU? Are you mounting the GPU vertically or horizontally?

I'm aware, but I wanted to see if the chipset would run cooler with side fans.

GPU will be horizontal, but the fan will be covered by the GPU. Take a look:

13-119-353-V01.jpg

A rear exhaust fan will direct at least some airflow over the motherboard past the vrm cooling fins.
Actually, I think the better arrangement is to have the radiator mounted in front as intake.
The cpu will not cool quite as well, but the gpu and motherboard will do better.
You have the means to try both ways .

What is the processor that needs such aggressive cooling?
Will you be seeking high overclocks?

Would perhaps a good air cooler do the job for less?

JunkSniperJoe

Prominent
Feb 15, 2021
A rear exhaust fan will direct at least some airflow over the motherboard past the vrm cooling fins.
Actually, I think the better arrangement is to have the radiator mounted in front as intake.
The cpu will not cool quite as well, but the gpu and motherboard will do better.
You have the means to try both ways .

What is the processor that needs such aggressive cooling?
Will you be seeking high overclocks?

Would perhaps a good air cooler do the job for less?

It's only a 5600x, so it doesn't really run hot. I could have used an air cooler, but I wanted to try out an aio since I've never used one before.
I may do some minor overclocking in the future.

JunkSniperJoe

Prominent
Feb 15, 2021