Jul 27, 2024
I have an Acer lapttop with 2.5" 1TB SSD with SATA interface. It used to work fine, but earlier this week I got an error message saying "No bootable device" on it. I have looked into some youtube videos and tried changing some bios settings (boot mode from UEFI to Legacy and vice vera), but it did not work. Tried several options from youtube videos and nothing worked. Then I thought of recovering data the SSD and tried several tools like Windows disk management utility, Minitools data recovery, easeus data recovery, wondershare data recovery etc. All these tools were showing only 20MB unallocated space rather than actual size of 1TB. In most of the youtube videos I have seen, when they say that windows disk management is reporting incorrect size of HDD or SDD, it is mostly showing the size of partition that shows in windows and the remaining space as unallocated partition. In my case, all I see is only a 20MB unallocated space.

I have tried TestDisk and QPhotorec and I got a warning saying that "Do not proceed if your storage size is incorrectly shown". In my case, since it is showing only 20MB rather than 1TB, I did not want to proceed with Testdisk or Qphotorec.

Can someone help me on how to recover the data from this 1TB SSD, preferably free option?

Thanks in advance.

js2

Jul 16, 2024
Could be a dodgy controller on the drive. Check if it has firmware updates.

As for recovery. If it can be read via USB then you can stick it on a working computer and use a Linux distro like Backtrack on it.