Jun 26, 2019
Hey so earlier in the summer I moved across the country and had my PC shipped via a trucking company. Long story short, the truck ended up catching fire and destroying my PC. Luckily I had my doubts about the computer’s safety and removed the HDD and SSD prior to shipment so that my data would be safe in case of disaster.

So now, about a month later, I am days away from booting a new build but I’ve got a terrible feeling that the drives from my last PC will not integrate smoothly into the new system. In another situation I would transfer all of the data on the drives to an external hard drive, wipe the drives clean and boot Windows 10 on the fresh SSD before copying the original data back over. But since my rig is now a pile of ash I can’t back the drives up to an external without some PC interface, right?

An answer to either of these questions would be hugely beneficial:
1) is there a way to boot my new rig from the old drives without sacrificing any data?
2) if not, is there a way to copy the data from the old drives to an external drive without using the original computer?

My current plan is to buy a small, fresh SSD just to configure windows and then work from there towards integrating the old drives, but I’m not 100% confident even this is valid.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!!

USAFRet

Titan
Whole new PC...buy a new SSD to go with it.
Install a fresh OS on that drive.

Then, connect your old drives and locate your personal docs. All your applications would have to be reinstalled.
Steam games can usually be worked around without a reinstall.

My current plan is to buy a small, fresh SSD just to configure windows and then work from there towards integrating the old drives, but I’m not 100% confident even this is valid.
If building a new rig (mainboard under 3 years old) with an M.2 /NVME slot, Intel's 660P 1 TB drive is only $110 or so....; at those prices, there is no reason to be dorking with smallish 250 GB or less SSDs...