Question Red CPU Light on new build ?

PerryPeri

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
This is going to be a bit long but I’ll do my best to condense things.

Context: I was given a new GPU, CPU, RAM, MOBO and cooler for christmas and I’m having immense problems with my new build.

Full specs:

• RTX 3070
  • MSI MPG Z590 GAMING PLUS
  • i5 11600KF
  • 2x16GB Kingston Fury RAM
  • Arctic Liquid Freezer 240 II
  • Corsair CX650M
  • Antecs DF700 Flux
I actually had a problem with my old build where I would get a red cpu light whenever I had to take it apart. The only thing that ever fixed it was using single channel RAM in the last two slots. I suspected either the motherboard was bad or the part of the CPU responsible for interacting with the ram was just dead or something, but now i’m having literally the same problem on brand new hardware.

I’ve tried:

• Removing CMOS battery for 5 minutes
  • Using old CPU cooler (interestingly this didn’t work either)
  • One stick of ram at a time
  • Reseating CPU with good pressure on cooler
  • Cleaning up thermal paste around the socket
  • Inspecting socket for broken pins ( View: https://imgur.com/a/T497gMq
    - apologies for bad quality, imgur screwed it a bit)
  • CPU has no pins but no visible paste or damage on the back
  • Tried different PSU (550) and didn’t work either
  • Flashing bios which also didn’t work
  • Old graphics card since this CPU has no dedicated graphics
  • Jumping CMOS pins
I have legitimately tried everything I can possibly think of and I’m perplexed as to how I’m dealing with the same issue with new hardware. It’s absolutely soul sucking tbh.

My PSU only has one 8 pin connector for the cpu section in the top left corner despite there being two CPU_PWR pins. I’ve been told that this doesn’t matter unless I plan to heavily overclock and that the board should still boot with just one connector.

I tried flashing the bios but that didn’t work. Once I pressed the button, the fans and the rgb power on and the flash bios button kept flashing for 5 or so minutes and then stopped. Once it stopped, the fans and the rgb come back on but it’s still not posting. It makes me believe it worked but that it wasn’t the problem.

I’m sort of at a loss right now. I feel like I’ve somehow damaged something and destroyed thousands of dollars in gifts because it’s not booting up like it should. I’ve swapped out hardware plenty of times but I’m pretty stumped. This is all new stuff picked up a few days ago.

Is it a possible short inside the case? Is there anything obvious that I might be missing? I have no other CPU that fits inside a 1200 socket so I can’t even test it. I also don’t have another motherboard that has that chipset.

If anyone has ANY advice at all, please don’t hesitate. I sincerely would appreciate it and thank you in advance. Happy to provide pics of anything else.

Last edited:

PerryPeri

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
The one i describe is called: CPU_PWR1 the other one is called : CPU_PWR2 which imo means that the one i described is the first one to use. I don't ask that for nothing.

Well I’ve tried connecting that pin in both pwr1 and 2 individually and it’s still the same result unfortunately.

Not really sure what else I can try.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
So recap, both old and new motherboard stop at red cpu light?

You connect the pc directly to the wall? Powercable i mean. No extensions.

There is always the odd possibility that you get doa parts when the oldd build was already faulty. The new parts are brandnew?

PerryPeri

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
So recap, both old and new motherboard stop at red cpu light?

You connect the pc directly to the wall? Powercable i mean. No extensions.

There is always the odd possibility that you get doa parts when the oldd build was already faulty. The new parts are brandnew?

Correct. The same issue with the CPU light showing red is happening with the old components as well as the brand new ones.

I’ve tried connecting the build directly to the wall with the current PSU I use and an old one that also works and still the same issue.

Man, that seems like some pretty grim luck if that’s the truth.

The last thing I’m probably going to try is move the components to an old case I have. At this point I’m just trying to rule out every piece of equipment/component because I’m fully stumped. If that doesn’t work, I’ll take it in for repairs because they can at least test if one of the new parts was already dead and hopefully just swap the parts.

PerryPeri

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Might be a good idea, make sure all connectors are where they should be, from power connectors down to rgb. Get the motherboard manual next to you if you are in doubt.

Also check stand offs.

Moved the new components to an old case and still the same issue. I am legitimately dumbfounded. One of these parts has to be dead and it has to be a coincidence that both the old and new components are dealing with the same issue and not a pattern.

Is there anything else at all I could try? I desperately need this PC for work but it looks like I don’t have much choice other than giving it to an IT professional

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Is there anything else at all I could try? I desperately need this PC for work but it looks like I don’t have much choice other than giving it to an IT professional
If oyu have one nearby would it be good to bring it to a store where they can check. Two different systems with same exact problem is a riddle to me as well. Can tell you over and over to swap parts, but that doesn't really help anymore.

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
I'm not sure, but does your motherboard have a series of lights that follow one another on startup. Like Red then Yellow then Green the white. Mine does. I had a memory problem and the yellow light stayed on. This indicates a memory failure. But my first light is the CPU and it's red. During startup mine turns on the red and goes to yellow. The Red led is the processor test light. Since my processor is good it goes red a split second the move up to yellow to test the memory. If your motherboard is like mine you might have a processor problem. But don't rule out the power supply, I think the 3.3 volt section runs the processor. If that's down the processor wont run. Do you have a volt meter. You can easily find the 3.3 volt line on the sata power cables sometimes.

PerryPeri

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
If oyu have one nearby would it be good to bring it to a store where they can check. Two different systems with same exact problem is a riddle to me as well. Can tell you over and over to swap parts, but that doesn't really help anymore.

Update: Board was doa. Gave CPU to a friend with a similar board, worked just fine. Feels like pretty bad luck to have the same issue on two different boards which end up being unrelated. Safe to say I’m not buying a lottery ticket anytime soon

PerryPeri

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
I'm not sure, but does your motherboard have a series of lights that follow one another on startup. Like Red then Yellow then Green the white. Mine does. I had a memory problem and the yellow light stayed on. This indicates a memory failure. But my first light is the CPU and it's red. During startup mine turns on the red and goes to yellow. The Red led is the processor test light. Since my processor is good it goes red a split second the move up to yellow to test the memory. If your motherboard is like mine you might have a processor problem. But don't rule out the power supply, I think the 3.3 volt section runs the processor. If that's down the processor wont run. Do you have a volt meter. You can easily find the 3.3 volt line on the sata power cables sometimes.

Unfortunately the board was already toast when I received it. I’m in the process of getting a new one now and I’m hoping that’s the end of it. Thanks for your comment!

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
Ok. let us know how it goes. I just went thru a bunch of unnecessary stuff with memory not reading. I scrubbed the memory stick contacts with a pencil eraser and all four of them work now. The only difficult part was removing the residue after scrubbing. I have an air compressor and simply blew the eraser remnant off the sticks. I guess an anti static brush would have worked too. Just saying because you have a memory problem too. I wrote a thread on it under memory. It's worth reading, good info.