Rediculously slow boot-up

Gimperific

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2004
Hey,

Not usre which forum to post this in, anyways.I just finished building a system with these specs for a friend.

AMD 64 2800+
EPOX Nforce 3 mobo
512 MB of Kingston valueram
Radeon 9800
80 GB Western Digital HD (IDE)

However for some reason, boot up is incredibly slow. When I turn on the computer it checks the RAm and the CPU (And displays them correctly) Then I have to wait a good twenty five seconds or more for It to check the IDE devices (CDRW and the HD, which it also displays correctly). During this time, if I hit the del key to enter bios nothing happens. After its detected the IDE devices, if I don't do anything it will just sit there for another 20 seconds(during this time i can enter bios) and then proceed to booting up. I haven't bought windows XP yet, I'm installing windows 64-bit now to test it. Is this normal? I've never seen boot ups this long with the two other computers I built, they booted up normally the second I built them. Any ideas on what the problem could be? All help appreciated, thanks.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
The first part is confusing, it shouldn't take that long, even if your ide detection is set to auto.

Try going into bios and detecting your drives and setting the empty spots to none. That may save a couple secs.

For the second half, that sounds like it may be trying to install an sata and/or raid bios and you don't have any drives attached that way. In BIOS again, set it to disabled.

Hope that helps.

Mike.

Gimperific

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2004
"Try going into bios and detecting your drives and setting the empty spots to none. That may save a couple secs."

done

"For the second half, that sounds like it may be trying to install an sata and/or raid bios and you don't have any drives attached that way. In BIOS again, set it to disabled."

also done.

The message it freezes at during the second part is "verifying dmi pool date" or something like that

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Gimperific on 10/26/04 12:37 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Double-check the jumper settings. One thing to note with Western Digital drives is that there are two settings for Master: Master single drive and Master with slave present. If the jumper is set to the opposite setting than it's supposed to be, it won't boot. Pain in the ass, yes... but it sounds like that's the problem right now.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>