Am I the only one who remembers this dude?

_I_don't_ think_ so

"He deserves more than a passing acknowledgment"

I never knew him...like I never knew Dunnigan, Hardy, Isby....

These people spoke to me

I was 12 at the time, and then 15 and then 20

I don't know much....but I remember from an issue of "Moves"

He said....."all the best" or "best regards"

I am 44 years old. I respect Redmond Simonson

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

i remember him well. one of the giants of the hobby during it's
early expansive years. his work was always imaginative, in some
cases ground breaking, sometimes precedent setting. his passing
makes me sad.

Bartow W. Riggs wrote:
> Am I the only one who remembers this dude?
>
> _I_don't_ think_ so

this is the third thread on him, what do you want for a response?
those of us who were around gaming in the early days when spi first
started all chimed in. i'll wager that jim dunnigan, rich berg and mark
herman aren't that well known to todays gamers brought up on computers
either.

ray o'hara wrote:

> this is the third thread on him, what do you want for a response?
> those of us who were around gaming in the early days when spi first
> started all chimed in.

I was around, recognized the name immediatly (got a few games he worked
on), but somehow I felt all that needed to be said was already said.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Won't apologize for a eulogy....

Bart

<eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> ray o'hara wrote:
>
>> this is the third thread on him, what do you want for a response?
>> those of us who were around gaming in the early days when spi first
>> started all chimed in.
>
> I was around, recognized the name immediatly (got a few games he worked
> on), but somehow I felt all that needed to be said was already said.
>
> Greetz,
>
> Eddy Sterckx

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

nor should you. first thread i saw, so i responded.
nobody has a gun to anybodys head....if you guys don't have
anything constructive to say, then don't say anything. sheesh.

Bartow W. Riggs wrote:
> Won't apologize for a eulogy....
>
> Bart

nobodys asking you to appologize and what eulogy did you provide?
you basically said everyone was ignoring his passing. i said there were
threads on that already and that those of us who were around in the old
days of spi remembered him there. you're acting like you are somehow
superior to everybody because people who never heard of him weren't
pulling out their hairs or slashing their wrists.

I will agree to the extent it wasn't much of a eulogy.

I simply felt bad that Redmond died and I was suprised more didn't remember
him If in your paranoid, syncopated, "I am the police of the internet
newsgroups" opinion somehow interpreted that as me somehow being superior
or whatever...that is your f-ing problem.

It is sad that what was meant as a show of respect for a dead man who was a
big part of teaching me and thousands of others about history, geography,
geopolitics and even science fiction degrades into you mentioning slashing
wrists and pulling out hair...

"Bartow W. Riggs" <briggs@surewest.net> writes:
> I simply felt bad that Redmond died and I was suprised more
> didn't remember him

I suspect that many of us remember him, but don't really have
anything of any substance to say. I played lots of SPI games
in the 70s and early 80s (and still have dozens of them), but
I never really much got into the personalities, not even those
that were on display in the Outgoing Mail type columns in S&T
and Moves.

Is this piece by Greg Costikyan (who I'll always think of as
the 19-year-old he was when his name first appeared in the
game design progress reports) more the kind of thing you were
hoping to see?

http://www.costik.com/weblog/2005_03_01_blogchive.html#111070130229508681

--
Jeff

jp

"Jeff Urs" <stalky@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> "Bartow W. Riggs" <briggs@surewest.net> writes:
> > I simply felt bad that Redmond died and I was suprised more
> > didn't remember him
>
> I suspect that many of us remember him, but don't really have
> anything of any substance to say. I played lots of SPI games
> in the 70s and early 80s (and still have dozens of them), but
> I never really much got into the personalities, not even those
> that were on display in the Outgoing Mail type columns in S&T
> and Moves.
>
> Is this piece by Greg Costikyan (who I'll always think of as
> the 19-year-old he was when his name first appeared in the
> game design progress reports) more the kind of thing you were
> hoping to see?
>
> http://www.costik.com/weblog/2005_03_01_blogchive.html#111070130229508681
>
> --
> Jeff

Exactly. I remember him, but what am I supposed to say ? He already had
my respect, didn't need to make a post for that.

Besides, one of my net pet peeves (in terms of what's the point) is the
"Silent post for Person X" threads (I know this wasn't one of those).

Thank you.

Giftzwerg wrote:

> Has it occurred to anyone but myself that A Flame War is the perfect,

> quintessential sendoff that USENET can provide?
>
> Our version of the ol' Viking Funeral?

First LOL, then it dawns on me that you're right.

Solemn promise that we'll give you the biggest flamewar war-historical
has ever seen if you happen to kick the bucket early.

[any preferences as to subject ?]

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

In article <MB0_d.1301$uC2.3106@eagle.america.net>, jp@hotmail.com
says...

> Exactly. I remember him, but what am I supposed to say ? He already had
> my respect, didn't need to make a post for that.

Has it occurred to anyone but myself that A Flame War is the perfect,
quintessential sendoff that USENET can provide?

Our version of the ol' Viking Funeral?

--
Giftzwerg
***
"The Bush-bashers, as always, have impeccable timing. Nothing
highlights the bankrupt obstructionism of the anti-war movement
more than the inspiring photos of the renaissance of freedom
taking place in Lebanon. Contrast the faces of hope and defiance
against terrorism pictured at the massive rallies in Beirut's
Martyrs Square this week with the faces of Bush hatred and
capitulation to terrorism that you'll see this weekend.
Any question about who's winning?"
- Michelle Malkin

jp

"Giftzwerg" <giftzwerg999@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <MB0_d.1301$uC2.3106@eagle.america.net>, jp@hotmail.com
> says...
>
> > Exactly. I remember him, but what am I supposed to say ? He already
had
> > my respect, didn't need to make a post for that.
>
> Has it occurred to anyone but myself that A Flame War is the perfect,
> quintessential sendoff that USENET can provide?
>
> Our version of the ol' Viking Funeral?
>
> --
> Giftzwerg
> ***
> "The Bush-bashers, as always, have impeccable timing. Nothing
> highlights the bankrupt obstructionism of the anti-war movement
> more than the inspiring photos of the renaissance of freedom
> taking place in Lebanon. Contrast the faces of hope and defiance
> against terrorism pictured at the massive rallies in Beirut's
> Martyrs Square this week with the faces of Bush hatred and
> capitulation to terrorism that you'll see this weekend.
> Any question about who's winning?"
> - Michelle Malkin

lol

> "That rat-bastard is finally gone!" would probably warm the hearts of
> many.

Fishing for compliments eh? ;)

Mario