Refurbished Windows 7 Home Premium

kaiwahine18

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
I have a refurbished windows 7 home premium that I would like to put on my pc that has windows xp. Is this possible? How do I go about doing this? Thanks in advance!!

Solution
Are you talking about a Windows 7 Home disk or computer? If the OS was a Retail version, you can move the license to another computer as long as the other one is wiped. If it's an OEM version that came with the computer, you can't.

As to how to do it, use the Windows 7 disk and run the setup on the other system, you can chose to either wipe it all and just have Windows 7 or do a dual boot with Windows 7 and XP on the same system. You can't upgrade XP to 7, but you don't need to format the drive again so you'd be able to keep your files.
Are you talking about a Windows 7 Home disk or computer? If the OS was a Retail version, you can move the license to another computer as long as the other one is wiped. If it's an OEM version that came with the computer, you can't.

As to how to do it, use the Windows 7 disk and run the setup on the other system, you can chose to either wipe it all and just have Windows 7 or do a dual boot with Windows 7 and XP on the same system. You can't upgrade XP to 7, but you don't need to format the drive again so you'd be able to keep your files.

Solution

kaiwahine18

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
It's an OEM version that I bought online. It's a disk. My computer is not even reading it. I'm still confused......as to if I can run it on my computer....how do I do that? Thanks!!

If it's not reading it at all, not even when you are in Windows, return it. Although it may be that you only have a CD player and not a DVD player in your computer.

A lot of times those OEM disks that are sold through ebay and craigslist are not legal to use, or come with fake keys that don't work or work only for a few days after you activate them.

You also should check for drivers for your computer for Windows 7, not all system that have XP can run Windows 7 without issues. You may have hardware that won't work with 7 properly.