Register For Tom's Hardware's G-Sync Vs FreeSync Event - July 18

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was accepted.... maybe we can uncover something else, telling about the setups. I would love to know the questions they are going to ask us after testing each station but that may skew results. I don't know how much free play we will have on the test systems but I plan re-tracing my steps the best that I can in each test station. I wonder if they will allow us to take notes? =)

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Gah, I'm planning on moving to Cali in a few months. Would love it if I could participate in something like this, I really hope you guys have more future events would be very interested in parcipating!

Reaver192

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
Someone should make a terrorists threat on the event so Toms will be so desperate they will accept people from Chicago and I can go

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

...I think that would have an opposite effect and cause it to be cancelled if the FBI states its a legit threat.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
G-Sync has already won this battle hands down... Plain and simple, G-Sync is superior to FreeSync in every single espect except one - cost. To me, cost should be part of the overall score and the winner between G-Sync and FreeSync based solely upon performance, feature sets, and compatibility.

I agree with most of that, but compatibility is in AMD's favor, not Nvidia's. Nvidia *could* support Freesync if they so chose. Hell, even intel could support freesync. Any monitor manufacturer can add freesync support without having to pay a dime or modify their monitors beyond supporting the necessary displayport version and a bit of firmwarre.

compatibility is way in AMD's favor.

On specification numbers and paper performance, sure. This is the Pepsi challenge to see how well those advantages translate into detectable differences, despite any performance gap on paper. It sounds as if controls are being put into place to make this as fair of a test as possible.

That's not true. In some situations, G-Sync has more input lag than Freesync.

Costs should most definitely be part of the score. Costs are always a factor, otherwise you get unrealistic extremely fast. Engineering is all about doing the best you can with the resources you have at your disposal, and one of those resources is money. Trying to state otherwise is you just wanting to bias the outcome in favor of your favorite sports team.

Nobody wants to give any spoilers away before the article hits. Aside from the weather....(it rained that day) the event was pretty cool. I had never seen a "PC burka" before Saturday. The Newegg showroom was loaded out with gear. Zalman had a triple monitor(23"?) setup for GTA V. There was another triple monitor setup for WarThunder also. There was also an OR setup. AMD had a generous amount of product for raffle.

I forgot to ask at the event if there would be a follow up article or if this article was going to get an Update.

I don't know the answer to that.

The Zalman triple monitor setup appeared to be powered by SLI(x2) Gigabyte cards and the Warthunder setup was a triple SLI config if I'm not mistaken( someone correct me if I'm wrong). These weren't used in the testing. They were to keep us occupied/entertained while people were testing. The Zalman triple monitor setup was using Zalman branded monitors around 23". I don't think those were "sync'd" monitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.