Question Reliable MOBO for 7800XD3?

Sep 26, 2023
I build a new work / gaming PC every 5 to 6 years.
I'm self-employed and work from home. I also game all on the same PC.
I can afford whatever, but I don't want to spend more if I'm not going to notice the difference.

Tom's Hardware says the 7800XD3 is the bang/buck CPU, but I can't find a MOBO for it with glowing end user reviews (Newegg, Amazon, etc).
I want the pc to be fast AND reliable. I want to waste as little of my life as possible figuring [language redacted] is wrong with my PC.

I don't believe I've ever built an AMD machine. I'm ready to just go with an i7-14700K and be done with it.
How does everyone love their 7800XD3 but hate their MOBO?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
I want the pc to be fast AND reliable. I want to waste as little of my life as possible figuring [language redacted] is wrong with my PC.
To be frank, I've had to troubleshoot my B650I Edge WiFi board since Windows 11(Microsoft) decided an update was necessary and I was met with a black screen for a couple of boots, had to clear the CMOS. It's not the board sometimes it's the OS/drivers.

What sort of a budget have you set aside for your motherboard purchase? What form factor are you looking at? Where are you located? Do you have a preferred site for purchase?

turtletarget111

Honorable
Dec 24, 2018
I've never had any problems with my Ryzen motherboards. My AM4 system has been in use for nearly eight years with no hiccups. Some of it is obviously based on how much you are willing to spend in exchange for higher end parts and better manufacturing quality. Typically, even low end modern motherboards are adequate, and spending tons of cash on higher end boards is a bygone era. Pick one you like that has all the features you're looking for, such as WiFi 6E and Bluetooth, 2.5G networking, lots of expansion slots, etc. Spending more than 250 dollars is past the point of diminishing returns for the vast majority of users, so I would stick with something realistic. The Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite might be a good starting point in terms of a flexible board without breaking the bank.

Last edited: