Remote access Win98 and WinME

Would the remote access package be appropriate for me to connect a
Windows ME machine over the internet with Windows 98?

The good news is my dad, at age 87 loves his computer, yahoo access,
trading stocks, the whole bit. The bad news is that he can't even
configure a toaster, let alone a PC and he's in Connecticut and I'm in
San Francisco. On my next visit I would love to be able to install a
program that he can start with the press of a key or a single icon, that
will allow me to access his PC when he asks for help. I have found that
I cannot walk him through configuration issues over the phone. He runs
Windows ME and I run Windows 98 SE.

I am looking for a solution that will be trouble free at his end.
Unlike the "work at home" scenario, I won't be able to physically adjust
at his end in person as often as I would like.

I downloaded what I think is the client software (for 98/ME), but I
think I'd need a different software for my end which would be the
"server" side.

Appreciate any help!

Bob

Bob Shoring wrote:
> Would the remote access package be appropriate for me to connect a
> Windows ME machine over the internet with Windows 98?
>
> The good news is my dad, at age 87 loves his computer, yahoo access,
> trading stocks, the whole bit. The bad news is that he can't even
> configure a toaster, let alone a PC and he's in Connecticut and I'm in
> San Francisco. On my next visit I would love to be able to install a
> program that he can start with the press of a key or a single icon,
> that will allow me to access his PC when he asks for help. I have
> found that I cannot walk him through configuration issues over the
> phone. He runs Windows ME and I run Windows 98 SE.
>
> I am looking for a solution that will be trouble free at his end.
> Unlike the "work at home" scenario, I won't be able to physically
> adjust at his end in person as often as I would like.
>
> I downloaded what I think is the client software (for 98/ME), but I
> think I'd need a different software for my end which would be the
> "server" side.

Remote Desktop is not available for Windows 9X/ME.

You would need to setup something like UltraVNC and if his IP changes, maybe
get an account on DynDNS.org.

--
<- Shenan ->

I've used UltraVNC on WinMe and Windows 2000 machines in similar
circumstances.

Frankly, moving your dad to XP would be a Really Good thing to do--but I
understand the difficulties involved--you can make it look a lot like Win98,
but there'd be changes he'd have to learn about.

Security is an issue--in this situation, I prefer having the person needing
help load the VNC server process only when needed. There have been
automated brute-force scans for VNC servers in the recent past.

"Bob Shoring" <bobshoring@california.com> wrote in message
> Would the remote access package be appropriate for me to connect a Windows
> ME machine over the internet with Windows 98?
>
> The good news is my dad, at age 87 loves his computer, yahoo access,
> trading stocks, the whole bit. The bad news is that he can't even
> configure a toaster, let alone a PC and he's in Connecticut and I'm in San
> Francisco. On my next visit I would love to be able to install a program
> that he can start with the press of a key or a single icon, that will
> allow me to access his PC when he asks for help. I have found that I
> cannot walk him through configuration issues over the phone. He runs
> Windows ME and I run Windows 98 SE.
>
> I am looking for a solution that will be trouble free at his end. Unlike
> the "work at home" scenario, I won't be able to physically adjust at his
> end in person as often as I would like.
>
> I downloaded what I think is the client software (for 98/ME), but I think
> I'd need a different software for my end which would be the "server" side.
>
> Appreciate any help!
>
> Bob

Bob,

I have used gotomypc.com for work and have had no problems. If you are both
over broadbrand connections, it's pretty quick and easy. And your dad can
load the stuff he needs on his side with you talking to him on the phone.
Once he has everything you can log in and take over his computer and even
chat with him while you are working on something. Nice if you want to show
him how to do something.

John

"Bob Shoring" wrote:

> Thank you Bill, and everyone for your suggestions. Does anyone have
> experience with any of the alternatives like Norton PC anywhere or
> GotoMyPC.com? I need to find the most foolproof approach. If I get
> home (3000 miles away) and my system won't talk to his, then I'm out of
> luck as I can't just go back to his the next day and tweak it a bit.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob
> bobshoring@california.com
>
> Bill Sanderson wrote:
>
> >I've used UltraVNC on WinMe and Windows 2000 machines in similar
> >circumstances.
> >
> >Frankly, moving your dad to XP would be a Really Good thing to do--but I
> >understand the difficulties involved--you can make it look a lot like Win98,
> >but there'd be changes he'd have to learn about.
> >
> >Security is an issue--in this situation, I prefer having the person needing
> >help load the VNC server process only when needed. There have been
> >automated brute-force scans for VNC servers in the recent past.
> >

> >"Bob Shoring" <bobshoring@california.com> wrote in message
> >

> >>Would the remote access package be appropriate for me to connect a Windows
> >>ME machine over the internet with Windows 98?
> >>
> >>The good news is my dad, at age 87 loves his computer, yahoo access,
> >>trading stocks, the whole bit. The bad news is that he can't even
> >>configure a toaster, let alone a PC and he's in Connecticut and I'm in San
> >>Francisco. On my next visit I would love to be able to install a program
> >>that he can start with the press of a key or a single icon, that will
> >>allow me to access his PC when he asks for help. I have found that I
> >>cannot walk him through configuration issues over the phone. He runs
> >>Windows ME and I run Windows 98 SE.
> >>
> >>I am looking for a solution that will be trouble free at his end. Unlike
> >>the "work at home" scenario, I won't be able to physically adjust at his
> >>end in person as often as I would like.
> >>
> >>I downloaded what I think is the client software (for 98/ME), but I think
> >>I'd need a different software for my end which would be the "server" side.
> >>
> >>Appreciate any help!
> >>
> >>Bob

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

Bob,

I use WebEx Access Anywhere. It works well. It has a free trial
promotion till 2005. Give it a try at
http://www.webex.com/go?accessone.

Jason