Question Remove disk safe during bitlocker decryption?

Aug 16, 2024
TLDR; I would like to know if by suspending the decrytpion process during it is in progress, can I now remove the disk safely from my computer while the decryption is still unfinished, without putting my data at risk?

[Moderator edit to break up solid paragraph/wall of text.}

Hello everybody,

So i have this really annoying problem (to put it mildly). I checked the internet and forums but couldn't quite find the answer I was looking for.

The other day I wanted to update some firmware and it recommended me to disable all bitlocker encrytpioons on the system.

Now i had 1 disk with bitlocker and just to be safe i wanted to disable it.

Now I was aware that it was foing to take some time, but I didn't think it would take almost a WEEK.

As it turns out, ones started there is no way back, so I figure okay I'll sit this one out. I let it run and it was already quite a bit iffy disk that has given me some problems with only barely 2 years of age on it but now during the decryption it froze and disappeared from my drives list.

Needless to say, that definitely got me sweating. So in good hope I reboted the system. Froze on reboot, had to retry a couole times. Then it finally booted again, and to my relief it restarted the decryption process again.

Next morning I woke up, checked on it and yes it was stuck again and disappeard from my drives list. Did the reboot thing a couple times again, and on start up itfroze basically right away (the decryption process). Tried a few more times with the same result.

So this next time I thought, there is this supsend button, what if I manage to click the fast enough. It worked and now it basically paused the decrytpion process. Now it says on the bottom of the window something like "suspened the decrytpion before removing the drive. Else the files on the drive can be damaged."

So to get to the point, I would like to make absolutely sure that my understanding is correct here, that by temporarily suspending the decrytpion process I am now able to remove the disk safely from my computer while the decryption is still unfinished, without putting my data at risk?

Is this correct? I the bitlocker manager it says this for the the drive "undoing bitlocker-encryption is suspended"

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 16, 2024
Re: "The other day I wanted to update some firmware"

What firmware and why?
For my motherboard, I am trying fix a problem with it only recognizing half of my RAM. So before jumping to conclusions of a faulty motherboard (which is entirely possible because I bought it secondhand), I first want to try everything I can and then run a mem86 test. But updating this intel ME stuff and bios are step one.

For my motherboard, I am trying fix a problem with it only recognizing half of my RAM. So before jumping to conclusions of a faulty motherboard (which is entirely possible because I bought it secondhand), I first want to try everything I can and then run a mem86 test. But updating this intel ME stuff and bios are step one.
When updating BIOS on a system with locked by Bitlocker you need to back up TPM key which is used for it as that would also clear TPM key.
https://www.partitionwizard.com/news/backup-tpm-key.html

Aug 16, 2024
When updating BIOS on a system with locked by Bitlocker you need to back up TPM key which is used for it as that would also clear TPM key.
https://www.partitionwizard.com/news/backup-tpm-key.html
Does that also go for if it is on a peripheral disk? It's not my C disk but 1 of my other disks. Anyhow, it's kindof to late for any of that now anyways, since it is already halfway through the decrytping process. All I need to know for now is whether or not I can detach that disk during the process so I can reatach it when my new disk arrives, back this uo on to the new one and then I'll just wipe this one and/or throw this one away since it is basically just defect or on the very edge of it.

Last edited:
Does that also go for if it is on a peripheral disk? It's not my C disk but 1 of my other disks. Anyhow, it's kindof to latel for any of that now anyways. All I need to know for now is whether or not I can detach that disk during the process so I can reatach it when my new disk arrives, back this uo on to the new one and then I'll just wipe this one and/or throw this one away since it is basically just defect or on the very edge of it.
Yes, Bitlocker uses TPM key for any disk it locks, same key used when locking has to be used to use unlock that disk. When you update BIOS key would be lost and you would lose access to locked drive. That's why you should back TPM key up and then restore it after BIOS update. After you do that you should be able to access that locked disk with same password used to lock it. It doesn't matter if locked disk is connected or not nut to avoid any confusion better to be disconnected.
After all is finished and you get access to locked disk you can copy/backup or move files without having to unlock it completely, in other words do everything like with disk that wasn't locked. Actually, even if you are not using any encryption it's a good idea to have TPM key backed up on some neutral media. There are reports/rumors that some future update (maybe W12) may use Bitlocker to lock disk by default and without TPM key it would be inaccessible.

The other day I wanted to update some firmware and it recommended me to disable all bitlocker encrytpioons on the system.
Now i had 1 disk with bitlocker and just to be safe i wanted to disable it.
Now I was aware that it was foing to take some time, but I didn't think it would take almost a WEEK.
Your storage device is obviously faulty. Diagnose it properly,
And move away all your important data from it.

What model drive is it?
Is it internal? or external (USB connected) ?

And do not update motherboard firmware, if you have drives with bitlocker enabled.
Unless you know, how to back up and restore TPM keys.
I would like to make absolutely sure that my understanding is correct here, that by temporarily suspending the decrytpion process I am now able to remove the disk safely from my computer while the decryption is still unfinished, without putting my data at risk?
Is this correct? I the bitlocker manager it says this for the the drive "undoing bitlocker-encryption is suspended"
Removing disk is not the problem. Problem is firmware update.
You'll loose TPM keys and all your bitlocked data, if you update motherboard firmware.