Biobob

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
To limit my childs time online I have the key code set up on my Westell 7500. I logged him in, making sure I unchecked the Auto connect box. Now he can get on anytime he wants. I have reset the modem, even deleted his device and reset the device list under the My Network tab on the Westell site. His device goes away off the list, but he is still able to get back on without the code having to be re-entered. I don't want to leave the wireless turned off in the Wireless Settings, because then no one else can get on. How do I get it to require the code without having to go into his computer and remove the network everytime? He has not seen me enter the code, I even changed it. This appears to be a recent problem that has cropped up in the last few weeks.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
You must enter the Westell configuration and go to Wireless settings, turn ON the security setting and set a password. Once the password is set save settings and your child will be disconnected, to re-connect he/she will need a password.

Many routers have Access Restriction settings that will allow you to controll when and/or where your child can connect. If such settings are available you can select days and times of the day when selected users may connect. You may also add selected URLs or Keywords that will be blocked.
Unfortunately the Westell 7500 does not have such features, so you will need to deal with this otherwise. Setting up Wireless security is definately a start though.

Biobob

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

I have tried that. I even changed the password. It longs him off, but then he can get right back on without having to enter the password. Driving my crazy trying to figure out. I am wondering if possible problem with the Westell 7500.

Biobob

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

Not the sites, but the fact that the secure log on seems to be non existent. We could take away computer, then school work can't be done. Or turn off wireless, then no one gets on.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Is there any chance your child has the admin password for the router configuration page, or maybe he is in the mac filtering list? Another possibility is the WPS (push button logon) which doesn't require a password.

I think it is highly unlikely that your son hacks the wifi security nomatter how simple it may be.

Check the above scenarios and a)Change admin password. b)Change wifi password again c)Disable mac filtering, or block his mac. d)Disable WPS security.
If none of these options work for you then I think it is safe to say that your router needs to be replaced...