Question Removing the M.2 and using sata

Aug 5, 2024
I'm about to purchase 12E3004YUS (M70Q Tiny Gen 4, I5 Win 11, 16GB, 512GB SSD)
I have cloned a SSD drive from another PC that has win 7 Pro on it.
I want to remove the M2 in the Lenovo and put the available 1 GB clone drive in the bay.
Will this work?
Can I boot off the clone drive if I remove the M.2?
I know this sounds crazy but this is in an industrial environment and I need to keep the win 7 in tact.
I will upgrade to win 10 after I get all up and running. - There is no internet to this PC, so it all has to be done off site and then put into production.

Thanks for any input that you may have.
Jim

That thing is so tiny.
Does it even have space inside for a sata drive?

Note - windows 7 does not have native support for NVME.
Several hotfixes and NVME driver has to be installed, to boot windows 7 from NVME drive.

Why do you need to mess with windows 7, if you're just going to upgrade to windows 10 later.
Start with windows 10.

Aug 5, 2024
SkyNetRising,
Thanks for your input.
Yes, that unit has space for 1 2.5 drive.
I will not be booting off of the M.2. I need to remove and use the 2.5 SSD to boot.
Don't know if I will ever use the M.2
My main concern will I be able to boot off of my clone drive
Again thanks for your input.

I need to remove and use the 2.5 SSD to boot.
Why? For what purpose windows 7 ?
My main concern will I be able to boot off of my clone drive
Expect problems.

Boot mode settings have to match between old and new system.
Sata controller mode has to match between old and new system.
Make sure safe boot is disabled and fast boot disabled.
Driver incompatibilities will cause problems - possible bsods/crashes bad performance.
Also windows activation will be lost.

I know this sounds crazy but this is in an industrial environment and I need to keep the win 7 in tact.
I will upgrade to win 10 after I get all up and running. - There is no internet to this PC, so it all has to be done off site and then put into production.
Boy your getting into the black magic of all PC's to try what your thinking.

After the 7th gen Intel CPU's are not windows 7 compatible. Or simpler 8th gen CPU moving forward requires Window 10/11.

Not saying if you did put that ssd with windows 7 It might boot but now your without drivers.

Also the elephant in the room is that mini PC is yes a regular PC but under the hood is not friendly when it comes to changing things around from factory settings and OS changes.

I have a little older model of that PC that was in a parts haul. I thought it was a modem thrown in as an extra.

The one I have will only boot into guest account in windows 10 off original ssd.

I pulled the original ssd put in a new ssd and played with the PC for a while and no tip or trick could I install Windows 7,10, or 11. It just would not boot.

I was moving at the time so it now sits in a box but my thinking is it must need the OS to be a official Lenovo recovery to have the correct magic to get back up and running.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2024
Boy your getting into the black magic of all PC's to try what your thinking.

After the 7th gen Intel CPU's are not windows 7 compatible. Or simpler 8th gen CPU moving forward requires Window 10/11.

Not saying if you did put that ssd with windows 7 It might boot but now you without drivers.

Also the elephant in the room is that mini PC is yes a regular PC but under the hood is not friendly when it comes to changing things around from factory settings and OS changes.

I have a little older model of that PC that was in a parts haul. I thought it was a modem thrown in as an extra.

The one I have will only boot into guest account in windows 10 off original ssd.

I pulled the original ssd put in a new ssd and played with the PC for a while and no tip or trick could I install Windows 7,10, or 11. It just would not boot.

I was moving at the time so it now sits in a box but my thinking is it must need the OS to be a official Lenovo recovery to have the correct magic to get back up and running.

Aug 5, 2024
Stonecarver,

Black magic? Could be :)
I was wondering if I maybe could upgrade the win7pro to win10 first and then maybe clone.
And then maybe try to boot in the new PC.... BTW I chose a bit larger PC
ThinkCentre M70s Gen 3 - Intel Core i5-12400 (Gen 12)

Does that sound like a possibility?

Thanks for your input!

jim

Aug 5, 2024
Stonecarver,

Black magic? Could be :)
I was wondering if I maybe could upgrade the win7pro to win10 first and then maybe clone.
And then maybe try to boot in the new PC.... BTW I chose a bit larger PC
ThinkCentre M70s Gen 3 - Intel Core i5-12400 (Gen 12)

Does that sound like a possibility?

Thanks for your input!

jim
The older PC with Win 7 Pro is using a 4th Gen I5 4500

Well here is the issue with that idea. The Windows 7 than upgrade to window 10 was still installed originally on a different set of hardware,

It might boot but most likely will not.

To help us maybe help you why the Windows 7-10 than clone and moving that clone to the new computer.

Is all these steps to keep it registered in your final step or is there something were missing as to why the path you have lined up getting it working.

Aug 5, 2024
Well here is the issue with that idea. The Windows 7 than upgrade to window 10 was still installed originally on a different set of hardware,

It might boot but most likely will not.

To help us maybe help you why the Windows 7-10 than clone and moving that clone to the new computer.

Is all these steps to keep it registered in your final step or is there something were missing as to why the path you have lined up getting it working.
Stonecarver,
I think I'm losing you... Don't understand what you are saying?
I wrote: I was wondering if I maybe could upgrade the win7pro to win10 first and then maybe clone .

In other words... the older PC with Win7 - bring it up to win10 and then install the clone drive on the new PC.
I would remove the M.2 and install the 2.5 SSD/
don't want win11 anyway.
Does that make sense?
Sorry for the confusion :(
Jim

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Stonecarver,
I think I'm losing you... Don't understand what you are saying?
I wrote: I was wondering if I maybe could upgrade the win7pro to win10 first and then maybe clone .

In other words... the older PC with Win7 - bring it up to win10 and then install the clone drive on the new PC.
I would remove the M.2 and install the 2.5 SSD/
don't want win11 anyway.
Does that make sense?
Sorry for the confusion :(
Jim
They don't offer the free upgrade anymore and still not going to work.

Aug 5, 2024
You still haven't answered - why is there windows 7 involved at all?
What prevents you to install windows 10 on the new pc?
SkyNetRising,

Please be patient with me ...
The older Win7 PC has software running in a production environment and it would take a whole lot of time to reinstall it on a new PC. It is a 24/7 system.
This software is used to:

Batch/Continuous Feeder Controls and OEM Feeder Integration​

Mixer Control Systems​

So you see my problem.... would my chances be better if I build a system with a motherboard say Asus?
It seems that that will help with the OEM boot issue.
What do you think?
Jim