[SOLVED] Replacing a rog x99 in custom PC ?

Jun 1, 2021
Hi everyone,

I inherited a work pc from our old designer, now it is used for coding. However, the rog x99 board has died. So I need to replace it with something.

Price range: It's for work, so I don't think it matters, but just anything that does the same as the x99, but it less focused on rendering images and just focused on not dying while running Intellij or Firefox.

I have attached a picture of the case and placement. What should I get?

View: https://imgur.com/z8rVJx1

Solution
Ok, so let's say I go with the Ryzen idea. Is this the one?
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X - 3.8 GHz - 8 cores - 16 threads - 32 MB cache - Socket AM4 - PIB/WOF

And then for the B550 board, could this be the one?
MSI B550-A PRO - Motherboard - ATX - Socket AM4 - AMD B550 - USB-C Gen2, USB-C Gen1, USB 3.2 Gen 1, USB 3.2 Gen 2 - Gigabit LAN - onboard graphics (CPU needed) - HD Audio (8-channels)

Yes both of those choices should be fine. Honestly even a Ryzen 5 5600x will be a nice step up from the i7 6800k. All Ryzen CPU's like fast memory so a solid DDR4 3600mhz c16 memory kit is the best choice between budget and performance.

Don't skimp on the CPU cooling whatever you decide to buy...I'd recommend grabbing a high end air...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Are you sure that the board is the culprit and not some other component on the build? Like a PSU or perhaps bad storage or perhaps the CMPOS battery needs replacing? Perhaps a corrupt BIOS that is easily solved by replacing the BIOS chip or reflashing the BIOS?

You might want to add some more meat to the potatoes, please list the specs to your buidl like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Reactions: acomfortpc
Jun 1, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Are you sure that the board is the culprit and not some other component on the build? Like a PSU or perhaps bad storage or perhaps the CMPOS battery needs replacing? Perhaps a corrupt BIOS that is easily solved by replacing the BIOS chip or reflashing the BIOS?
I am far from sure. But I got the following codes when I tried booting the pc. I read that 00 means that the board is toasted.

https://streamable.com/pdpdln

And thank you for the welcome and the fast reply!

Jun 1, 2021
Ok, I'll try to get some of these things for you. I am not an expert.

CPU: Intel Core I7-68000K 6x <3.6GHz LGA2011
Motherboard: MB2011-V3 Asus STRIX x99
Ram: Kingston DDR4 2400MHz Module (There are 4 of these)
SSD/HDD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO
GPU: NVIDIA ASUS GTX1060 6GB ROG STRIX
PSU: Corsair TX-550M
Chassis: Case Vision X2 Silent

Last edited:
X99 is renowned to kill cpus, i myself lost a cpu (6900K), i thought it was the motherboard, RMAed it bought a asus x99 rampage v 10th edition still 00 code, replaced the cpu with a 6950X and everything worked again. After this i saw on forums many more complaining about the broadwell cpus to die.

It may be worth trying to just grab a used i7 6800K just so you don't have to go through an entire system rebuild.

If you decide to update the entire system then I'd rebuild around a Ryzen 5800x and a high end B550 board as my first choice.

If your coding tools are optimized for Intel so you want to stay with them then grab the i7 11700 and a solid high end B560 board like the MSI B560 Tomahawk. A word to the wise if you go Intel...stay away from the cheap B560 boards as many of them are compromised and perform very poorly.

Jun 1, 2021
It may be worth trying to just grab a used i7 6800K just so you don't have to go through an entire system rebuild.

If you decide to update the entire system then I'd rebuild around a Ryzen 5800x and a high end B550 board as my first choice.

If your coding tools are optimized for Intel so you want to stay with them then grab the i7 11700 and a solid high end B560 board like the MSI B560 Tomahawk. A word to the wise if you go Intel...stay away from the cheap B560 boards as many of them are compromised and perform very poorly.
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X - 3.8 GHz - 8 cores - 16 threads - 32 MB cache - Socket AM4 - PIB/WOF

MSI B550-A PRO - Motherboard - ATX - Socket AM4 - AMD B550 - USB-C Gen2, USB-C Gen1, USB 3.2 Gen 1, USB 3.2 Gen 2 - Gigabit LAN - onboard graphics (CPU needed) - HD Audio (8-channels)

Jun 1, 2021
X99 is renowned to kill cpus, i myself lost a cpu (6900K), i thought it was the motherboard, RMAed it bought a asus x99 rampage v 10th edition still 00 code, replaced the cpu with a 6950X and everything worked again. After this i saw on forums many more complaining about the broadwell cpus to die.
It's a shame that it can do that. If I remember correctly, it was the most expensive pc the company had bought.

It's a shame that it can do that. If I remember correctly, it was the most expensive pc the company had bought.
Yea but it is expensive because it has 40 pcie lanes, you can run 2 full 16x videocards or 4 at 8x videocards, it is a lot of bandwidth. Also had the highest core count back then. You can see my former build based on the 6950x in my signature (former build link https://pcpartpicker.com/b/cWmqqs)

Yes both of those choices should be fine. Honestly even a Ryzen 5 5600x will be a nice step up from the i7 6800k. All Ryzen CPU's like fast memory so a solid DDR4 3600mhz c16 memory kit is the best choice between budget and performance.

Don't skimp on the CPU cooling whatever you decide to buy...I'd recommend grabbing a high end air cooler from Noctua or BeQuiet regardless of the CPU you pick up.

Last edited:
Solution
Jun 1, 2021

Don't skimp on the CPU cooling whatever you decide to buy...I'd recommend grabbing a high end air cooler from Noctua or BeQuiet regardless of the CPU you pick up.
If I get the Ryzen 5, should I still get the same Motherboard as I posted above from MSI?

Can I use the same CPU-cooler as was in the machine now? It is called Thermalright. Or alternatively, this one? be quiet! Pure Rock 2

And is the new ram preferred or necessary?

The motherboard you picked will work just fine with the 5600x.

The CPU cooler will need to be replaced unless you were given adapters to fit other CPU sockets...in this case the new MSI board will be socket AM4.

The Pure Rock 2 is an excellent cooler for use with the 5600x. If you buy the 5800x you'll want to go with something a bit larger like the Dark Rock 4. You should measure the available room you have for CPU cooler height and check the manufacturer specs to make sure the cooler will clear the side panel of your PC before buying a new one. That old cooler on your system looks pretty beefy but it's still better to measure before buying.

Using your existing Kingston 2400mhz ram will have a negative impact on a Ryzen CPU...they really need fast ram to run at their best. This is tied to the internal working of the CPU and specifically the Infinity Fabric which is the chip to chip bus inside the CPU. Using 2400mhz ram the IF speed will only be 1200mhz but with 3600mhz ram the IF bus will run at 1800mhz which is about the max IF speed for most Ryzen CPUs. The difference between 2400mhz and 3600mhz can be as much as a 15% performance delta depending on what you're doing with the PC.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021
The motherboard you picked will work just fine with the 5600x.

The CPU cooler will need to be replaced unless you were given adapters to fit other CPU sockets...in this case the new MSI board will be socket AM4.

The Pure Rock 2 is an excellent cooler for use with the 5600x. If you buy the 5800x you'll want to go with something a bit larger like the Dark Rock 4.

Using your existing Kingston 2400mhz ram will have a negative impact on a Ryzen CPU...they really need fast ram to run at their best. This is tied to the internal working of the CPU and specifically the Infinity Fabric which is the chip to chip bus inside the CPU. Using 2400mhz ram the IF speed will only be 1200mhz but with 3600mhz ram the IF bus will run at 1800mhz which is about the max IF speed for most Ryzen CPUs. The difference between 2400mhz and 3600mhz can be as much as a 15% performance delta depending on what your doing with the PC.
This is so interesting. I never knew parts had such a complex way of working together.

I got the parts now. You are amazing.

Will the current ram have any detrimental impact on the Ryzen CPU?

Will the current ram have any detrimental impact on the Ryzen CPU?

Other than slowing it down, using the 2400mhz memory should have no impact on a Ryzen processor. It's always a good idea to look at the motherboard webpage and see if the ram you want to use is on their list as an approved kit. Even if it is not on the list it may work fine...or it may not. Just something to be aware of.

Jun 1, 2021
Other than slowing it down, using the 2400mhz memory should have no impact on a Ryzen processor. It's always a good idea to look at the motherboard webpage and see if the ram you want to use is on their list as an approved kit. Even if it is not on the list it may work fine...or it may not. Just something to be aware of.
Noted, I'll upgrade the ram at some point then too. You have been a great help, thank you!