Question Replacing the GPU makes my system not boot into Windows. How do I make it work normal?

Dec 27, 2022
MoBo: intel dh77eb (old, I know)

CPU: i5-3570k

PSU: 650W

Old GPU: Gigabyte GTX 950 XTREME

New GPU: Asus ROG GTX 1070 Oc

As the title suggests, when I replace my 950 with the 1070, my system does weird things: booting with the 1070 makes my system post, but it doesn't get past the Intel logo screen and doesn't advance the Windows logo spinny screen. It doesn't even let me go into the BIOS after I press F2. After reinstalling the 950, it works just fine. After disabling the UEFI boot option (with the 950 installed) in the BIOS and replacing the GPU with the 1070, it booted just fine but I noticed it was exceptionally laggy. After around 30 seconds of playing around on my desktop, the screen freezes for around 2 seconds, goes black, and reboots the system. After said reboot, I load into Windows and quickly open Geforce Experience and notice that my GPU is recognized as a GTX 1070. Then it froze and rebooted. And after this reboot it once again is stuck on the Intel logo screen, not being able to get to the Windows logo spinning screen.

Could anyone suggest a fix for this issue? Thanks!

Wattage the bigger the better. Have a look here. If possible you want to stay in tier A or B. But the way graphics are these days if you can get a higher wattage quality unit that can be carried to a new build in a year or so, that would be a good idea so you don’t end up replacing it again too soon.

In your current situation I don’t know if the psu is the cause but the 1070 should consume a lot more power than a 950.

Yeah, I'll look into a better-rated/better in-general PSU. But then why does it work just fine with the 950? (I'm not that super knowledgeable in PCs, that's why I'm asking).
What wattage would you suggest? Somewhere around 500W?

Pretty sure the 950 draws less power than the new card, that's usually when a cheap power supply will take a dump. A good quality 650w Tier A or B unit should do you. You could go big with an eye on the future though, the power supply in my rig has a 10 year warranty. Were you to go that route with something like an 850w, it'd possibly solve the issue now and be able to go with you when you build a new rig.

I'd start at 650w though.

TRENDING THREADS