Report: AMD Cutting Up to 30 Percent of Global Workforce

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
They have to do what they have to do to keep surviving as a company and if scaling back on the workforce is what they have to do to survive then they have no other option but to do that for the time being until the economy picks back up again. Either that or go under and no one wants to see that because if that happens Intel will stop reducing the price of their processors and it will be like the pre AMD competition years all over again.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
[citation][nom]amdfangirl[/nom]How will AMD compete with Intel if they lose more engineers? Sell their engineers to Intel?[/citation]

AMD already takes in revenue that is less than what Intel spends on R&D alone. The two companies are on completely different tiers of scale.

[citation][nom]nieur[/nom]they need to invest in their own fab[/citation]

They had their own fab, they spun off Global Foundaries to pay for buying ATI.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
I had a feeling that the new CPUs for October were going to suck more then they claimed when Execs started resigning.

This should be that indication... they don't expect to sell alot of anything because they are still way behind ivy bridge even with the refresh...

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Yup hoping AMD recovers from this with fists swinging they need to give Intel some competition, even if it's not on their high end and they just compete mainly with their low and mid range CPU's I be happy (though not as happy if they keep toe to toe with them on everything). I do not want Intel to have a complete monopoly I rather like some competition to drive them to be better.

markem

Honorable
May 1, 2012
AMD BOARD MEMBERS IS KILLING AMD SLOWLY BY SUCKING IT DRY AS LONG AS POSSIBLE.. oops sorry for CAPS

Rory Read & Board Members will not be touched as usual... that just shows AMD will die a slow death by sacking engineers instead.. clever move by Rory and board

markem

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Share holders need to wake up asap and sack Rory Read and the whole mess of Board Members.. the Board of AMD has failed miserably many times and are still going strong.. what a joke

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Not an AMD fan, but this is not the first time this has happened.
It's really not AMD's fault, it's a global economic cooldown.
As bad as it sounds, I'm actually glad they are doing this instead of being stubborn until it's too late and they have to file for bankruptcy.

They'll be back... again.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
And guess who has 2 thumbs and got whacked on that stock suicide fall...this guy...down 2 grand in 10 minutes thanks to their brilliant idea of making a negative PR forecast.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
If u guys seriously want to support AMD, buy the GPU department. Stop punishing urself by buying their crappy CPU. GPU is the only area where they do pretty good. If I want my money to be in AMD's pocket it will be on GPU, not CPU

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]If u guys seriously want to support AMD, buy the GPU department. Stop punishing urself by buying their crappy CPU. GPU is the only area where they do pretty good. If I want my money to be in AMD's pocket it will be on GPU, not CPU[/citation]Their CPUs are fine. Never had a problem with one (I buy both brands). They don't perform as well, but you don't pay as much for them. It's a pretty simple concept. Just because your $125 i3 doesn't perform as well as a $300 i7, doesn't mean it sucks. Same goes for AMD's processors.

If AMD goes under, Intel will slowly raise prices and gouge customers while posting record profits all while cutting back in R&D, delaying new releases and cutting corners on quality. That's not to say Intel is some evil company, all companies do this sort of thing when they gain dominance.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
The quicker AMD dies, the better. I got some stocks in Intel, and I like to watch them grow.

Screw the customers!

/sarcasm

[citation][nom]sarinaide[/nom]I believe this to be non-essential workforce in PR, RMA and Support and the like. Retrenchments due to operational requirements, this happens on a regular basis.[/citation]

They could be also laying off essential employees, including engineers working on developing new chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.