Report: Sony's PS4 Orbis Dev Kit Runs on Modified AMD A10

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
16GB of RAM is only like 70 dollars for us consumers. For a company like Sony to get mass quantity's and probably modified to be more price minded, it isn't that much.

yzfr1guy

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
R U Kidding me M.M.? Ram is dirt cheap.

I welcome the PS4 as I loves me some Playstation gameplay, to h3ll with Microshaft RexBox! :p

alexmx

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
[citation][nom]megamanx00[/nom]16GB of RAM? That's gonna drive up the price.[/citation]

That statement is not entirely false, don't you guys remember when the iphone 5 BOM came out? the memory jump from 16 to 32 GB was around 10-12 USD and yet they charge you over 100 USD when buying it?

The same model goes for almost any industry. Other than creating an artificial gap between devices, there isn't a real reason of why should 16/32 additional GB of storage be hundreds of dollars more expensive.

mckirkus

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
I just bought 8GB of RAM for $34 and an A10 AMD CPU for $120. Guessing they're using a variant of the A10 5700 which runs at 65 watts (instead of the 5800 @100w). Build a cheap custom motherboard and PSU and you have a console for $200 in parts plus storage.

The 256GB SSD sounds less probable. If they can buy in bulk for $100 each and their goal is to make it a lot cheaper than PS3 then 128GB is a good bet. If they sell it at cost you're looking at a $250 to $300 PS4.

kriskory

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
256gb SSD and they are moving toward a more affordable console at launch? a 500gb regular HD would be more affordable, one would think.

Its interesting that it runs on a A10 apu though, would that make it to the final ps4 though? I dont see how the A10 could drive games at 1080p native resolution which is what the ps4 should be doing?

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]yzfr1guy[/nom]R U Kidding me M.M.? Ram is dirt cheap. I welcome the PS4 as I loves me some Playstation gameplay, to h3ll with Microshaft RexBox![/citation]
How old are you? I thought gaming fanboy-ism stopped once you were old enough/employed to buy all the consoles you want to play games on.

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]kriskory[/nom]Its interesting that it runs on a A10 apu though, would that make it to the final ps4 though? I dont see how the A10 could drive games at 1080p native resolution which is what the ps4 should be doing?[/citation]
Well, considering that the PS3 and 360 can play (some) games at 1080p and they have crap for hardware (by today's standards), I think they'll be OK.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]segio526[/nom]Well, considering that the PS3 and 360 can play (some) games at 1080p and they have crap for hardware (by today's standards), I think they'll be OK.[/citation]

Play at 1080p? hahaha.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
well when you have a fixed processor for a system devs can program to utilize that hardware much more effiecently problem with pc's is the vast amount of hardware out there and everything has to be coded to allow for older hardware to run it.. thats the big advantage consoles have over pc titles .. currently we just beast mode / over power the games we want to run in order to get respectible frame rates and resolutions.

having an A10 or even a modified version would be much more of an advantage over the current gen consoles how ever Im willing to go out on a limb and say if they choose to include 4k video and such then they are more then likely going to have some form of a hybrid crossfire setup .. mind you this is still development hardware so this could change yet again but with about a year to go im betting they are under pressure to get the right price / performance and hardware combination .. what they should really do for consoles is allow for upgrading of the GPU / CPU like they do with pc's

mckirkus

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
No way this will support 1080p at 60fps for modern games if this report is true. The A10 GPU can do 50fps at 720p for most modern games. I imagine they'll continue to cap console games at 30fps or scale back the detail to make it hit 60. It'll upscale 720p content to 1080p.

720p at 60fps is probably sufficient for people playing on a TV and I hope they go with 720p@60 instead of 1080p@30.

G

@mckirkus

because we all known the ps4 will be running full blown win8......

sarcasm

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
[citation][nom]optimsedOS[/nom]@mckirkus because we all known the ps4 will be running full blown win8......[/citation]

Well these are all still rumors and there's no mention of what type of GPU will be in there. Although I know the AMD Trinity has a built-in GPU, but that means they will also be able to do "crossfire" or some type of multi-gpu scaling.

And I think they will be aiming for 1080p@30fps instead of 720p@60fps. For some reason developers don't think that consumers can see 60fps.

G

Meh, who cares?

By the time these so called "Next-Generation" consoles come out, PC users will already be four generations in technology ahead.

Pfft... consoles.

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
[citation][nom]goodguy713[/nom]well when you have a fixed processor for a system devs can program to utilize that hardware much more effiecently problem with pc's is the vast amount of hardware out there and everything has to be coded to allow for older hardware to run it.. thats the big advantage consoles have over pc titles .. currently we just beast mode / over power the games we want to run in order to get respectible frame rates and resolutions. having an A10 or even a modified version would be much more of an advantage over the current gen consoles how ever Im willing to go out on a limb and say if they choose to include 4k video and such then they are more then likely going to have some form of a hybrid crossfire setup .. mind you this is still development hardware so this could change yet again but with about a year to go im betting they are under pressure to get the right price / performance and hardware combination .. what they should really do for consoles is allow for upgrading of the GPU / CPU like they do with pc's[/citation]

The upgrading could work well if they designed the console to run all the games at low, and then offered like a "Medium" upgrade and a "High" upgrade and stuff. I don't think letting you put in any discrete GPU would work so well due to incompatibility and drivers.

emike09

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
[citation][nom]alexmx[/nom]That statement is not entirely false, don't you guys remember when the iphone 5 BOM came out? the memory jump from 16 to 32 GB was around 10-12 USD and yet they charge you over 100 USD when buying it?The same model goes for almost any industry. Other than creating an artificial gap between devices, there isn't a real reason of why should 16/32 additional GB of storage be hundreds of dollars more expensive.[/citation]
You're kidding right??? We're talking RAM, not storage. The iPhone 5 has 1GB of RAM and 16/32/64GB of Storage. You're confusing Ram (memory) with storage.

G

all they need is three trinity cores which equates to x12 cpu + x3 gpu crossfire. This is enough for 1080p gaming with ease

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]kriskory[/nom]256gb SSD and they are moving toward a more affordable console at launch? a 500gb regular HD would be more affordable, one would think.Its interesting that it runs on a A10 apu though, would that make it to the final ps4 though? I dont see how the A10 could drive games at 1080p native resolution which is what the ps4 should be doing?[/citation]

at launch, hell no they aren't thinking of price. sure, they may not want to spend that 900$ again, but they are looking at the 360, downloadable games, and the future. sure it may be about 180$ now for a 256gb drive (just bought one, 180$) but think of the probable markup, how much is the base cost? sony gets deals on that crap.

so you also have to take into account that it wont be out for probably another year. in 1 year, the price of an ssd, depending on nm process used, may fall to 50 cents a gb.

now think about it.

you install parts of a game that would take time to load off a disc to the ssd, and with 16gb of ram, you load most of the resot of the game at startup, depending on saves, it will load the most likely level you will start on first. most games, you could effectively store the whole damn things on ram itself.

i could imagine load times being next to non existent on the setup described above, and that will put them in a better position against the next 360.

[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]Play at 1080p? hahaha.[/citation]

believe it or not, there are a few games that play at 60fps at 1080p, and by few i mean 1 i know of, super stardust hd i believe, and possibly wipeout.

at least know facts before you mock people.

[citation][nom]mckirkus[/nom]No way this will support 1080p at 60fps for modern games if this report is true. The A10 GPU can do 50fps at 720p for most modern games. I imagine they'll continue to cap console games at 30fps or scale back the detail to make it hit 60. It'll upscale 720p content to 1080p.720p at 60fps is probably sufficient for people playing on a TV and I hope they go with 720p@60 instead of 1080p@30.[/citation]
take into account coding for specific hardware, we dont know what an apu can do in that situation because correct me if im wrong, all consoles till now have had separate gpu and cpu.

"Integrated Radeon HD 7660D GPU runs at 800 MHz and has 384 Radeon cores" that is a non modified version, im assuming a modified version has a better gpu component.

the article says nothing about no separate gpu, and unless that apu has a higher end gpu added to it, there is no way they will put it out at the same power a a10 because there wont be a massive "must have" for most people. remember they dont have a casual game market really, they have "hardcore" and that means graphics in their eyes.

[citation][nom]sarcasm[/nom]Well these are all still rumors and there's no mention of what type of GPU will be in there. Although I know the AMD Trinity has a built-in GPU, but that means they will also be able to do "crossfire" or some type of multi-gpu scaling. And I think they will be aiming for 1080p@30fps instead of 720p@60fps. For some reason developers don't think that consumers can see 60fps.[/citation]

no its not that, its that its around the 30fps range where the frame rate is good enough to play games and not constantly notice frame rate issues.

if a game plays well at 60fps, they would pack in more "graphics" to make the game look better but play at 30fps.

and with few exceptions, im ok with 30fps.

no way is the final build going to have 8-16GB of ram. Dev kits run the console as a VMware, so it needs enough ram to run the host OS, the dev kit software, plus an emulator of the console. However Ram is dirt cheap, so I would not be surprised to see 4GB of ram in the final build. But highly unlikely to see 8+GB.

It is not an issue of cost (ram is in fact dirt cheap), it is an issue of utility. High end PC games, which run much higher end textures, higher resolutions, and higher frame rates than consoles are expected to ever hit only use ~3-4GB of Ram for playing games. The OS and background programs take an extra 2-3GB of ram, which is why high end gamers are seeing 5-8GB of ram usage, but that is all overhead that consoles do not need to deal with. And the motto for consoles is that if it is not needed, then it is not added. 4GB of ram will do the trick, so no matter how cheap ram could get, they would never put in more than that (unless there was a reason to).

Either way, 4GB of ram is 8x more than the 512MB of ram in the PS3. that is a ton of space to work with for a single-purpose machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.