Question Resetting a acer travelmate c300 bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

leo.kerr300

Prominent
Jan 8, 2019
I'm not sure if this is the right sub group to put this is in but it seems to the most applicable.
So i managed to get 2 old laptops. A travelmate 3200 and a c300. The 3200 doesn't work so i went with the c300. It boots up fine to windows 7 but i want to use linux on it. I got the debian net installer iso, burned it to a cd, and tried to boot the cd directly. I then learned theres a bios password on it and the previous owner(PO) forgot the password. I then remembered that you can start the debian installer off windows so i did that. Debian got installed then it refuses to show a gui. It will show systemd doing its thing for a bit then go to sleep. Tried waking it, showed a bit more stuff, then back to sleep. Afterwards, it just showed a black screen. Recovery mode doesn't do anything different(I'll send a recording of it once i find my phone). I tried booting off a usb with freedos to run cmospwd while the hard drive was taken out. I wanted to use the /k part but it said to not do that on laptops and i don't want to ruin this one. Making the bios have a checksum error with debug doesn't do anything either. Now i know acer can reset the password but apparently theres a fee for it thats ridiculously expensive($100 USD). I also tried those bios password generators multiple times(i get 16343 when i guessed wrong passwords) but none of those have helped. I had a go with the cmos battery being taken out for about 30 minutes but that did nothing. I have no clue what to do now with regards to either getting the password or reseting the bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.