resistor replacement???

G

Hello!
I'm i BIG trouble... I think!
I've just recieved my new AOpen AK72 MB with an Athlon 700 MHz today, and when I try to boot it up, it won't POST! ...then I look upon the MB, and saw that the person who had the MB before me has had some problems with one of
the mounting-screws, and has scratched the board around the screw-hole, and unfortuantly he has hit 4- 5 of those really small rectangled "resistors"? that sits all around the board! ...can I do anything about this? I'm almost
sure that the reason why I cannot boot up or get any POST from my MB is the fact that these rectangulared thingies are missing (they are scretched off at their soldings) Now I want to try to replace or mount replacements of these resistors. But I don't know what specifications they should have! I know the numbers of them, but at AOpens website I cannot find any guide that tells you about the overall layout of the Motherboard and it's components.. I need to finde out what the specific information is on "resistor" number: L20, C177, R131, C151 on the AOpen AK72 Motherboard... and I cannot find the informations anywhere...not on the web, neither in the manual ... can anyone help me...? I'm desparate!!

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
if it is new, then why dont you take it back?
if it is used...then good luck!
unfortunately, i dont know anything about that board...some one will i am sure...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

G

Thanks for the reply David...! Yes...It's used...and I really want to get it back to life! So I very much appreciate any kind of reply with advice or solutions to my problem with looking up the right specifications for the exact resistors on the motherboard..so I can go out and by new ones, and sold the back on!

WiseGuy1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
If they where just pulled out of their solder joints you may be able to reheat them(if it didn't damage the resistor). If they have to be replaced, their usually easy to match because their colored coded. The first two stripes represent and 2 digit number and the third is a multiplier. However, considering their square they probably aren't resistors at all. I forget the name of those little deals that are about the size of a flee. Those may be resistors as well. Anyway, I'd say it ain't lookin good for the home team.

“Man who stand on toilet must be high on pot”-Confucius :smile:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i dont think that he has the resistors...and i am pretty sure that those are resistors....
and they would be really hard to resolder...
they are very small, and unless you have a soldering station like the one they use to manufature motherboards, then i would say good luck trying to resolder them...
i have been looking into this, and i dont think that it is very fixable..and may be more money and time than it is worth ...
i would say to get the ecs k7s5a, i think it will work for you and is only like $60.00
you will not only have to find out what resistors the board is missing, where they go, and then you would have to get the same exact ones, solder them on the right way, very carefully, and make sure that none of the solder, which is going to be a very miniscule ammount, doenst connect two of them together...
i am not saying this stuff to scare you away from this...i just want to let you know what this is going to entail, and the ammount of practice you are going to need soldering...so if you do have skills in this department, then go ahead...but considering that you called them "thingies", then i doubt that you have much experience with sodlering stuff like this...
and i would suggest that you save the processor, and get yourself a new board...
besides, what if that isnt the problem, and who's to say that turning it on with the missing resistors didnt fry some other component...
i sure hope that somehow things work out...and maybe someone else can give you the details as to what resistors to get, and how you should go about putting them on (i.e. placement, direction of flow, etc.)
good luck, and i hope that you figure this out soon!

-DAvid

G

The soldering isn't a problem! My electro-friend is the man for the job! The problem is just to find out resistance those little resistors should have! On the board they are all numbered, so I cannot believe that one is unable to find out the specific resistance for each number. but where??? this is the problem. Aopen's website is NOT so informative when it comes to the little resistors and their individually resistence. anyone know where I could find that??

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
you could try e-mailing aopen to see if they will let you know, maybe give you a diagram...but i dont know...
when i contacted epox to find out how to get different voltage settings on my mvp3c-2, they gave me a diagram in my e-mail on how to set the dip switches to get different voltage settings...
so maybe at aopen they have a diagram of the board layout...
and i am glad that you have someone who can help you resolder those things because i personally would be scared sh*tless to attempt something like this...
if you know someone who has this board, then maybe you could take theirs to a local electronics shop and let the guy behind the counter get you the parts you need...
once i had a pair of computer speakers...some advents...and my little brother was going to use them on his computer...and he plugged the sub's adapter into the satelite speakers...and fryed them..
i took them to the local electronics shop, and the guy got me the capacitor that was melted....
i put it in, and the speakers worked...but not like they used to...
so i tossed the satelites, and kept the sub which still works...
but just to let you know, that replacing these things might not get it to full working condition, but if you do..then congrats....
and other than contacting aopen for a diagram, i would say to find someone who has it who is willing to let you look at theirs and get a list of what you need, or if they are willing to let you take it in to a shop and get the parts..
also, comparing it to another board might let you figure out if there are even missing parts..
the traces on the motherboard might have just been severed by the scratch..
i think it would be pretty hard to scratch off some tiny resistors...not impossible, but hard..and i think that if your friend who can resolder looks at the board, he might be able to see if the traces are damaged...and maybe he can retrace them...like with a small ammount of solder, or a trace pen or something...he might know better...

-DAvid

SkuZzZz

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2001
***I need to finde out what the specific information is ***on "resistor" number: L20, C177, R131, C151

I don`t think they are all just resistors, R usuallt refers to a resistor, c is generally a capacitor and L is usually in inductor ( I know L is a wierd letter if you can find out the values and *if* they are the cause of your machine not passing post replacing them will fix the problem, however some boards have resistors/capacitors missing by design when there can be raid or onboard network card or whatever and due to it costing too much the manufacturer not actually putting that bit on the board although if there is a lot of scratching round the area check it hasn`t broken a track on the pcb and look for deep cuts as it may have split a track on one of the other "layers"....