isaking

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
Hello everyone!

I final have a full room, to be dominated by my pc and other gaming stuff and I have this 'insane' idea, what I don't know how to do properly.

I want to extend the RGB lights (controllable) from my pc to the whole room. It's ~30 meter in total, cut into 12 sections, 2 rectangles at the ceiling (8 sections) and 2-2 lines in 2 corners (preferably I may add more sections later around the tv an consoles if it's possible without re-wire everything). Hide as much as I can in plasterboard, what is already half built up.
The twist: Everything controlled by my pc in sync with the Asus Aura. I have a B350-F Gaming mobo, Gladius II mouse and an Aura Terminal for my setup. All synchronized and I want add 'the room' to that. I know the Aura won't handle it, so I have to write the effects by hand, as similar I can with the Aura (and more crazy ones too). Also would be nice if I have the standard plastic remote controller for the standard effects like a secondary, back up control.
I already asked my friends and colleagues but no one could help me in the whole process. The best tip was, maybe I can do the control with Arduino or a Raspberry Pi.

How can I start that project in first? I feel it's not a few hours thing, especially I don't know much in this field.

Thank you in advance for your help!

But as I've googled there is a product from Rajintek which cannot be controlled simultaneously from PC and remote. You have to hit the switch.
https://www.raijintek.com/en/products_detail.php?ProductID=95

The second issue, power draw? Im too dumb to calculate the power draw right now.
That would be 15W~ per meter?(Depending from LED type and etc.)

As your friends suggested, best would be an standalone PSU and arudino.

I have another idea, what if you hook up the 12V on another PSU and control the LED strip via PC? This might be a risky move as I really dont know what will happen, if I had RGB controlled on my motherboard I would do it for you.

isaking

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
This Rajintek looks nice if it's really can be controlled directly from the Asus mobo (the switch for the remote is totally fine). I just got the Aura Terminal today and I already have sync issue with it...
For the power it sould be something like that: (?)
https://www.dhresource.com/0x0s/f2-...2017-dc-12v-power-supply-adapter-lighting.jpg

So the best would be if I go deep with Arduino and find some help for the proper calculation to set up everything fine and don't burn down the house?