[SOLVED] Right click shortcuts doesn't work in any app

manistar

Prominent
Oct 12, 2019
Hi,
I have this problem in my new and old one laptop. On the beginning, I would like to say, that I've did a clean install of Windows 10 on my new laptop. In old one is problem gone, after reinstall Win.

So, when I do a right click on any app (system - like windows file explorer; or apps like Mozzila Firefox), the "shortcuts" or "recent files" doesn't work and is displayed error on the pictures. I've tried clearing cache and stuff like that, run checkdisk (and DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth, etc.) and nothing worked.

Have somebody same problem as me, and have a solution?

Thanks!

YYY5nN.png

B2ylne.png

- on Documents, Downloads it's the same

BpLdbu.png

Solution
You may try endless re-load of drivers, but this is a very annoying task.
It is much easier to have that Windows USB install stick, and start over.

It is not unheard of, that a couple of tries is the way to go with windows install.

Just to be absolutely sure (you may already know it very well, sorry for this)

1. download windows install image to a correctly formatted USB stick
  2. Insert the install USB stick in the install PC
  3. Start the PC and immediately invoke bios to boot the PC from the USB stick.
  4. remember to save the USB boot setting, then restart the PC.
  5. let the windows install do its magic.
  6. when the install has finished - remove the USB stick
  7. restart the PC and immediately invoke bios to boot from your...

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
After a windows re-install you MUST also re-install all your apps and shortcuts, as these refers to the registration file in the old windows, that is now gone.

You will notice, that ONLY the very specific windows tools in the start menu will work, as these are automatically re-installed.

Sorry - I know this is time consuming - but this is your problem.

manistar

Prominent
Oct 12, 2019
After a windows re-install you MUST also re-install all your apps and shortcuts, as these refers to the registration file in the old windows, that is now gone.

You will notice, that ONLY the very specific windows tools in the start menu will work, as these are automatically re-installed.

Sorry - I know this is time consuming - but this is your problem.

I wrote, that I've had reinstall OS on my old laptop and problem is gone - so doesn't need solution. But my problem is on new laptop, where I've made clean install OS - so I deleted hardrives, so there is no apps to reinstall ... You can only have on mind update all apps, but that I've did :)

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
You still have some kind of a windows registration problem, as the error message clearly reads that the selected item is unavailable.

This indicates :
  1. the path to the program does not exist
  2. the program has a new path
  3. the program is not installed
  4. the program is not registered in the windows registration file.
  5. you are still using the old registration file (before re-install)
  6. you are using the wrong registration file from another user

manistar

Prominent
Oct 12, 2019
You still have some kind of a windows registration problem, as the error message clearly reads that the selected item is unavailable.

This indicates :
  1. the path to the program does not exist
  2. the program has a new path
  3. the program is not installed
  4. the program is not registered in the windows registration file.
  5. you are still using the old registration file (before re-install)
  6. you are using the wrong registration file from another user
But I can run programs from these icons, so problems with path etc., are not my problem. So all indicate, what have you wrote are not relevant for me.

I properly installed the programs and they are working. I don't think, that I've all programs on my computer installed wrong ....

EDIT: I don't know if you understand me, but this is happening on "clean Windows"

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
I dont understand what you mean by clean windows.

If you right click on the app icons, and get the indicated error, you most certainly have a problem in your windows system.

You may ignore it and be happy, since the programs works when starting by the icons.
I would certainly look deeper into the possible problems I've already pointed out, as any error indicates a problem with the Windows install.

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
The only thing I can think of then, is that something went wrong during the clean install of windows on your new laptop.

My suggestion is you do a new clean install, using the common download on a usb stick method.
I can not see other possibilities from your informations.

manistar

Prominent
Oct 12, 2019
The only thing I can think of then, is that something went wrong during the clean install of windows on your new laptop.

My suggestion is you do a new clean install, using the common download on a usb stick method.
I can not see other possibilities from your informations.

Yeah, I think so too, but I wanted to ask if is there are some possibilities, than this ...

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
You may try endless re-load of drivers, but this is a very annoying task.
It is much easier to have that Windows USB install stick, and start over.

It is not unheard of, that a couple of tries is the way to go with windows install.

Just to be absolutely sure (you may already know it very well, sorry for this)

1. download windows install image to a correctly formatted USB stick
  2. Insert the install USB stick in the install PC
  3. Start the PC and immediately invoke bios to boot the PC from the USB stick.
  4. remember to save the USB boot setting, then restart the PC.
  5. let the windows install do its magic.
  6. when the install has finished - remove the USB stick
  7. restart the PC and immediately invoke bios to boot from your freshly installed drive.
  8. again remember to save the new bios setting and restart the PC

Now the PC should work, if you keep your tongue right in the middle of your mouth, the sun is shining and you look towards California, USA.

Solution