[SOLVED] Router remote access settings?

Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
Dear all

I was looking through my Router settings, and this one confused me:
https://prnt.sc/11a3iqc

Does it mean remote acccess to my network, or only remote access to the router?

The setting below, does it mean, that now everyone can get access to my network or router, from the internet?
Or is it first when the settting with HTTP 8080 is enabled?

The settings on the screenshot, are those default settings?

What else can I check in router settings, to make sure that remote access is not enabled?

Thanks in advance for replying

Best regards

Mostly to the router but if you can configure the router remotely you can open other holes. You would still need to know the userid/password for the admin.

You are either going to have to read the manual or play around with the settings. What other option are there than "any computer" can you set it to none.

Not sure about using HTTP no matter what port. Someone can intercept the http data stream and maybe use it to get access. HTTPS would be better but I suspect they don't because of the warning a browser will put out about invalid certificates. Certificates are the security that makes HTTPS work and it is a pain to get actual certificates and you get warnings if you use self signed ones.

Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
The login and password to the router is required, so be able to Remote access?

Have not had any luck with the manual

Is Remote access WAN-access?
How can I find out, if WAN-access is enabled?

Ralston18

Titan
Per your screenshot :

Remote Management of the router is ON.

And Remote Access Control is configured to let any computer on the internet to access your network. Click the downward pointing "arrow". What other choices/options are available?

Make, model, and version for your router?

As was earlier stated by @bill001g you will need to read the applicable router User Guide/Manual regarding the default and current configuration settings.

Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
Per your screenshot :

Remote Management of the router is ON.

And Remote Access Control is configured to let any computer on the internet to access your network. Click the downward pointing "arrow". What other choices/options are available?
Then how do I turn Remote Access OFF?

What is required, for somone to access the network through remote access?

Choices available:
Any computer
Range of IP's
Single computer

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model router?

If you have the necessary admin rights all you need to do is slide the Remote Management button to "OFF". I do not know what the default value is but I would expect it to be configured as "OFF". Just to avoid some immediate vulnerability.

= = = =

Also I need to make sure that I am not confusing two things: 1) Remote Access/Management to control router settings, and 2) Allowing remote access to a network computer or other network device via the router.

What is required for someone to access the network through remote access:

1) whoever manages the router and/or network enables the necessary features.

2) sets up the necessary access methods (login, password).

3) grants those who truly need access to have actual access.

4) provides the necessary login and password information to those remote users who need access.

On my router I must access the applicable administrative windows by providing the correct router login name and password. Then I can enable or disable remote management as need.

One danger is that if someone factory resets a router then some of those protections are lost. The router, for example will return to its' default IP address (192.168.1.1 is common but there are close variations). The router will also default to a login name such as "admin" and a password such as "admin', "password", or just be blank.

Those default values are widely available and easily found online. That is why router login names and passwords should be changed immediately when the router is first installed. Otherwise someone could take control of the router.

Much the same for any given computer to which you wish to grant access rights. Perhaps some select folder for either remote access or internal network access. That folder must be shared and set with the necessary permissions for those who need to access folder data. Permissions can be set at a number of levels via Group Policies.

Takes forethought, planning, plus the necessary administrative rights to set it all up.

Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
Make and model router?

If you have the necessary admin rights all you need to do is slide the Remote Management button to "OFF". I do not know what the default value is but I would expect it to be configured as "OFF". Just to avoid some immediate vulnerability.

= = = =

Also I need to make sure that I am not confusing two things: 1) Remote Access/Management to control router settings, and 2) Allowing remote access to a network computer or other network device via the router.

What is required for someone to access the network through remote access:

1) whoever manages the router and/or network enables the necessary features.

2) sets up the necessary access methods (login, password).

3) grants those who truly need access to have actual access.

4) provides the necessary login and password information to those remote users who need access.

On my router I must access the applicable administrative windows by providing the correct router login name and password. Then I can enable or disable remote management as need.

One danger is that if someone factory resets a router then some of those protections are lost. The router, for example will return to its' default IP address (192.168.1.1 is common but there are close variations). The router will also default to a login name such as "admin" and a password such as "admin', "password", or just be blank.

Those default values are widely available and easily found online. That is why router login names and passwords should be changed immediately when the router is first installed. Otherwise someone could take control of the router.

Much the same for any given computer to which you wish to grant access rights. Perhaps some select folder for either remote access or internal network access. That folder must be shared and set with the necessary permissions for those who need to access folder data. Permissions can be set at a number of levels via Group Policies.

Takes forethought, planning, plus the necessary administrative rights to set it all up.
Make a model router? What does that mean?

Admin rights? Do you mean if I am logged into my Router?

I have looked all the settings through several times. The only mentioning of Remote Access in the Router settings it the one presented in the screenshot. There is no button that say ON / OFF.

"Also I need to make sure that I am not confusing two things: 1) Remote Access/Management to control router settings, and 2) Allowing remote access to a network computer or other network device via the router."
I don't know, which of the two, that Remote access on my router is about. (The setting presented on the screenshot)
But according to other answers and more research, I am quite sure, that is it Remote acccess to the Router settings and not the network.

"1) whoever manages the router and/or network enables the necessary features."
"2) sets up the necessary access methods (login, password)."
What features are required for someone to be able to Remote access?
Login password are those the same required to access the Router?

"One danger is that if someone factory resets a router then some of those protections are lost. The router, for example will return to its' default IP address (192.168.1.1 is common but there are close variations). The router will also default to a login name such as "admin" and a password such as "admin', "password", or just be blank."
But that would require someone to find the Router IP online somehow?

"Much the same for any given computer to which you wish to grant access rights. Perhaps some select folder for either remote access or internal network access. That folder must be shared and set with the necessary permissions for those who need to access folder data. Permissions can be set at a number of levels via Group Policies."
When Network Discovery is turned off, is it then impossible for a hacker, who has access to my network, to see and locate my PC system?

Thanks for your help!

Ralston18

Titan
#1 - Addressed by @Nigel Spike. (Thank you.)

Use the router make and model information to find, download, and read the applicable User Guide/Manual.

#2 - Yes. You are/must be logged into the router with admin rights. The ON/OFF button is likely slid to the desired setting via the mouse. Click/hold/slide.

#3 - Not exactly a matter of features. Most home/residential routers are identical in function for the most part. What varies can be terminology, how the screens are arranged, the choices that may or may not be offered. Not at all common for some generic or base model router to be manufactured and just uses different firmware and software depending on what company's name is used to sell the router. Some routers can be wiped and the end user can install open source router software.

#4 - "But that would require someone to find the Router IP online somehow? ". Routers for home use use three designated ranges for private IP addresses and those IP address ranges are well published and end users can change the default range/values if and as required/desired. What you do not want to publish or post is your Public IP address. That being assigned to your router via your ISP.

FYI (recommended reading):

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-...vate IP address is,a home or business network.

#5 - Not impossible and probably not even difficult. Once a hacker is "on" or otherwise "into" your network there are other ways to find and access PCs.

Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
#2 - Yes. You are/must be logged into the router with admin rights. The ON/OFF button is likely slid to the desired setting via the mouse. Click/hold/slide.
Still, i can't find any ON / OFF button. Only to activate HTTP 8080 or select one of the choices:
Choices available:
Any computer
Range of IP's
Single computer

#4 - "But that would require someone to find the Router IP online somehow? ". Routers for home use use three designated ranges for private IP addresses and those IP address ranges are well published and end users can change the default range/values if and as required/desired. What you do not want to publish or post is your Public IP address. That being assigned to your router via your ISP.
But to someone to factory reset the router over the internet, they would need to know the IP, remote access turned ON and know the login credentials of the Router?