EaglePerception

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013
Hi guys, so I am having a bit of an interesting problem. First and foremost I want to make it clear that I followed the guide found here to get my router to even establish an internet connection (https://kb.netgear.com/1086/No-Internet-with-new-router-MAC-spoofing).

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router

My expected speeds are 1000mbps down and 50 mbps up. I can achieve those speeds when hardwired into the modem with the router disconnected. However, if I am hardwired into the modem and the router is also wired into the modem then the speeds are 5mbps down from the modem with an incredible amount of stutter that eventually prevents the speedtest from finishing. This leads me to believe the problem is Isolated to the router. If I plug directly into the router I get speeds of 240 mbps down and 46 mbps up. I was only getting 240 mbps downstream when plugged into the router but after rolling back the firmware to an old version that nearly doubled to around 440 mbps which is still a fall cry from the wall speeds.

Other Troubleshooting Performed,

Power Cycling (Modem and Router)
Factory Reset on Router
Used several cables for connection from modem to router including cables supplied from Netgear.
Changed MTU size from 1500 to 1468
QOS is disabled
Traffic Meter is disabled

Any advice is appreciated!
Thank you in advance!

Solution
MAC spoofing on a router is done because the other end of the connection has a lock on a specific MAC address. You shouldn't have to do that. You should be able to call support, say you have a new router and you need your connection reset to accept the new router. Have the router disconnected and factory reset when you call. Then you should be able to connect to port 1 (top) on the modem and DHCP should work.

kanewolf

Titan
Why are you MAC spoofing? If the router did not connect, then call Xfinity support, tell them you have a new router and to reset your connection.
Disconnect the router and do a factory reset before reconnecting to the top ethernet port on the modem. That router tests at 900Mb routing performance so it should be capable.

EaglePerception

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013
Why are you MAC spoofing? If the router did not connect, then call Xfinity support, tell them you have a new router and to reset your connection.
Disconnect the router and do a factory reset before reconnecting to the top ethernet port on the modem. That router tests at 900Mb routing performance so it should be capable.

I was MAC spoofing because no matter what I did the internet would not connect via the router. I just replaced the modem to handle the new gigabit speed that I upgraded to yesterday. My old one capped out at 640 Mbps and wanted to ensure the new one wouldn't be bottlenecking the network. And to my knowledge xfinity only connected the modem when I called them yesterday. They said that the router should automatically connect to it and establish a connection. Granted that's their word and if you think calling would help I of course can explore that after I get home from work.

kanewolf

Titan
MAC spoofing on a router is done because the other end of the connection has a lock on a specific MAC address. You shouldn't have to do that. You should be able to call support, say you have a new router and you need your connection reset to accept the new router. Have the router disconnected and factory reset when you call. Then you should be able to connect to port 1 (top) on the modem and DHCP should work.

Solution

EaglePerception

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013

I will try that when I get home and I will update you with the results. Thank you kanewolf!

EaglePerception

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013
After following your procedure as directed everything is now working! Speedtests show router speeds at 900ish mbps when hardwired in. WI-FI is drastically slower however on all wireless devices showing an average of 350ish mbps which I guess is to be expected.

I have one last follow up question. I started a few downloads through various clients like Steam, Battle.net, Origin, epic games, etc... and I noticed that speeds topped out at about 60 MBps when wired through the router. However, when wired in to the modem without the router connected I would see those speeds crest 100 MBps. Is there a way to have the router supporting the rest of my network and simply plug my pc directly into the modem?

Thank you again!

kanewolf

Titan
I have one last follow up question. I started a few downloads through various clients like Steam, Battle.net, Origin, epic games, etc... and I noticed that speeds topped out at about 60 MBps when wired through the router. However, when wired in to the modem without the router connected I would see those speeds crest 100 MBps. Is there a way to have the router supporting the rest of my network and simply plug my pc directly into the modem?
Downloads can be limited by the source end of the file. That may be why your speeds drop. If your speedtest results are good, then that is all you can do.
You can't connect your PC to the modem AND have a router. Your ISP only provides one IP address AND your PC would be a target for hacking without your local router protecting it.