[SOLVED] Router turns restarts automatically

noyaus

Honorable
Jul 15, 2016
Hi
I have a N300 WiFi Gigabit Router. For some reason my router restarts every now and then automatically. I have no idea why this is happening. I checked the cables and wires and ensure they are plugged in correctly (which they were) but still the router keep restarting every now and then.

Solution
If the router is actually restarting/rebooting it is almost always some form of hardware issue. You could check you have the latest firmware. Many times it is the power block on router that have external power supplies.

This tends to be very hard to find out because any log is generally lost if you lose power or the router reboots completely.

This is a very different issue though from the internet dropping so you need to be sure that the router is actually restarting and you are not just losing the internet. In most cases you can see log messages if the internet is going down but the router stays up.
If the router is actually restarting/rebooting it is almost always some form of hardware issue. You could check you have the latest firmware. Many times it is the power block on router that have external power supplies.

This tends to be very hard to find out because any log is generally lost if you lose power or the router reboots completely.

This is a very different issue though from the internet dropping so you need to be sure that the router is actually restarting and you are not just losing the internet. In most cases you can see log messages if the internet is going down but the router stays up.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution

noyaus

Honorable
Jul 15, 2016

Thanks for that. I believe it is a hardware issue as the whole router is restarting. I've called my ISP and they told me to reset my router and observe. So far it's been working fine.