Question RTC/UDP Shenanigans- DESPERATELY looking for a genius; WiFi hates voice calls

Oct 9, 2024
DISCLAIMER: I'm copy pasting this from my post on Reddit, which was completely ignored :( I'm on my hands and knees, this is driving me and my family bonkers o_O , I haven't found any posts online that have had fixes to this problem. I've been going around in circles and ending back up at the same posts on Google, some from YEARS ago
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this has been bothering me and my household members ever since getting a new ISP about a week or so ago. (Spectrum) We've gone through 2 routers, the one Spectrum gave us, and currently are using an R32 D-Link Eagle Pro Ai WiFi 6 AX3200 router. In a nutshell...

We can't make voice calls on Discord, Instagram, or Skype (yes... I installed Skype to test this...) through WiFi on our tablets / phones. We have to use a hotspot with data for them to go through, and it seems to be more of an issue with android devices, as an iPad was able to connect through Discord vc normally... Discord will go into a constant loop of RTC connecting / No Route, Skype won't even ring, and with Instagram, my mic isn't heard by the other person, However, Discord calls work flawlessly on PC via Ethernet.

I've tried everything it seems; port forwarding with Discord ports 50000-65535, disabling the firewall on the router, disabling IPV6, enabling QoS so my tablet's connection is a high priority, restarting the router several times, trying to tunnel through our old router, uninstalling and reinstalling the discord app, even contacting Spectrum and having a technician try and fix it, which led to us getting our current D-link router- All on top of not having a VPN connection interfereing with connection. What am I doing wrong?

I did a WebRTC troubleshooting test with WiFi and data and got different results in the Connectivity sections:

WiFi-

Reflexive connectivity INFO ] Gathered candidate of Type: srflx Protocol: udp Address: (censored)
[WARN ] Could not connect using reflexive candidates, likely due to the network environment/configuration.

Hotspot data-

Reflexive connectivity INFO ] Gathered candidate of Type: srflx Protocol: udp Address: (censored)

[ OK ] Data successfully transmitted between peers.

...Could this be the problem? I'm not entirely sure 100% WHAT is causing this, but it seems to be narrowed down to these results

I'm not super well educated on ports and packets and stuff, so I can only do so much... I've tried all I could and I'm desperate at this point. I have limited data so I can't rely on using a hotspot and I can't be on my PC constantly whenever there's a Discord call :( What should I do?

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Full make and model information for all modems, routers, or modem/routers if combined.

On your main computer run "ipconfi/all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. You should be able to copy and paste the full results in a post here.

Also provide some additional information about your ISP and network devices and connections.

Use a line diagram similar to this example:

Connection path being the following generic line diagram where ----> represents an Ethernet cable:

ISP === (coax, DSL, fiber) ===> Modem ---->[WAN Port] Router [LAN Port] ----> [LAN Port] Office Wifi Access Point ~~~~> Wireless network devices

With other Router LAN ports -----> Wired network devices.

Feel free to edit and correct the example: copy, paste, correct/edit.

Overall more information is needed.

My thought is that the change to a new ISP was not correctly implemented - likely some configuration erros of omission or commission. E.g., two routers being enabled. There should only be one router enabled.

Oct 9, 2024
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Full make and model information for all modems, routers, or modem/routers if combined.

On your main computer run "ipconfi/all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. You should be able to copy and paste the full results in a post here.

Also provide some additional information about your ISP and network devices and connections.

Use a line diagram similar to this example:

Connection path being the following generic line diagram where ----> represents an Ethernet cable:

ISP === (coax, DSL, fiber) ===> Modem ---->[WAN Port] Router [LAN Port] ----> [LAN Port] Office Wifi Access Point ~~~~> Wireless network devices

With other Router LAN ports -----> Wired network devices.

Feel free to edit and correct the example: copy, paste, correct/edit.

Overall more information is needed.

My thought is that the change to a new ISP was not correctly implemented - likely some configuration erros of omission or commission. E.g., two routers being enabled. There should only be one router enabled.
OS information as in my PC? I use Windows 11, unless you're asking about the tablets. (The issue again is through wireless connection on mobile and not PC) I use a Samsung s9 FE , my mom uses a Samsung as well, but the version is different I think; she still has the same issue though

I ran the command... I'm very new to this, I don't know how to format the diagram entirely, I'm sorry :(

Here's a link to the router we have on Amazon !

The Modem I don't know the full specs of, other than it being a Spectrum Modem... It's mounted to the wall kind of so I can't flip it over and see any model numbers or anything 😓

But here's the command prompt results copypasted, I censored all the IPs and stuff to be safe- plus it's in the forum rules

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : search.XXXX.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : (CENSORED)
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : CENSORED (Preferred)
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : CENSORED (Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : CENSORED (Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : CENSORED (Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : CENSORED
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, October 8, 2024 9:25:28 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 16, 2024 7:45:46 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : CENSORED
CENSORED
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : CENSORED
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : CENSORED
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : CENSORED
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : CENSORED
CENSORED
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
Connection-specific DNS Suffix Search List :

search.XXXX.net

As for our ISP (Spectrum) and our speeds, we can get up to 500mbps download and have around 20-something upload. We used to have Centurylink (now known as Brightspeed) since 2016 until earlier this month when we switched to Spectrum, also we're only using 1 modem and 1 router

Please let me know if I made a mistake... I really want this fixed, but I need to be walked through it, like I said I am in a territory I'm not 100% familiar with :ouimaitre: I appreciate your reply!

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Actually you CENSORED out the important bits of data that are used to help find and identify network problems.

What you do not want to reveal are entries that can reveal your identity and network name.

Public IP address for example (you can find that by googling "What is my IP") should not be revealed.

Physical device MACs are not much of a risk - MACs are reused. The MAC is made up of two parts that can be used to determine and identify hardware.

I use this website to help identify and verify hardware components:

https://www.ipchecktool.com/tool/macfinder

= = = = =

Here for example is my "ipconfig /all"

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Install the latest PowerShell for new features and improvements! https://aka.ms/PSWindows

PS C:\Users\XXXX> ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : XXXX
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.XX.comcast.net

Ethernet adapter XXXX:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.XX.comcast.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 8C-EC-4B-7E-7E-D4
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.201(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 9, 2024 5:45:34 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, October 17, 2024 5:45:33 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 74-40-BB-D5-2D-BE

l redacted "XXXX" my user name, host name, my network name, and my state abbreviation.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-public-ip-address-2625974

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-private-ip-address-2625970

You can easily find other similar links discussing the topics.

If, as an example, "ipconfig /all" shows that IPv6 is enabled then one possible recommendation would be to disable IPv6 - doing so can prove helpful. Or "ipconfig /all" may reveal that two network adapters are enabled -only one network adapter should be enabled for most home networks.

Or "ipconfig /all" can reveal that the computer/devices is communicating with Router X when Router Y is the router to be used. (Actually could be modem, router, or modem/router confusion....)

Changing DNS Servers can help. (I use Google at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 - there are other choices.)

Duplicate IP addresses are common.

Etc., etc.....

Oct 9, 2024
Ohhh thank you for the comparison... it helps a lot genuinely, though mine isn't exactly the same, I'm still not entirely sure what to censor (IPV6 address mainly) ..Is it okay to private message you what I have just in case? I scanned with Power shell this time too instead of command prompt

I haven't messed with any DNS Settings... will it interfere with my regular connection?

KingLoki

Upstanding
Jul 10, 2024
Is your wi-fi connection running on 2.4 or 5ghz frequency?
Try changing to the other frequency in the modem to test.

Have you got wi-fi calling enabled on the android device ??

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2024
Is your wi-fi connection running on 2.4 or 5ghz frequency?
I used a wifi analyzer app just now, it says 2462 mhz channel 11

oh... How do I change it?
also yeah, I didn't do anything to my tablet settings, neither did my mom.. like I said before both of our android devices act up :( it's so weird!

KingLoki

Upstanding
Jul 10, 2024
Can you go into your android wifi settings and post a screenshot of the 2.4ghz network settings....upload image on imgur.com

2.4Ghz on channel 11 is pretty standard.

KingLoki

Upstanding
Jul 10, 2024
Its in the wireless setting of your modem. Frequency, 2.4 or 5ghz.
2.4ghz should be fine for what you are doing. The recommended channels are 1, 6 or 11 preferably.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
So according to your description the situation look like the following table? And the webrtc error messages only occurs on Android devices? However, Android using ISP wireless data (hotspot) work even though there are errors when you troubleshoot webrtc?

Not familiar with webrtc, just want to gather correct info.

And what modem/modem gateway you get from Spectrum? Is it in router or bridge mode?

DiscordSkypeInstagram
PC with ethernetOKOKOK
PC with home wifi???
Android with home wifiXXX
Android using ISP wireless data (hotspot)OKOKOK
iOS using home wifi or ISP wireless data (hotspot)OKOKOK

Oct 9, 2024
Based on this -- https://www.dlink.com/en/products/r32-eagle-pro-ai-ax3200-smart-router and what is shown at the top of your WIFI configuration screen, you SHOULD have 5Ghz. But, your router might think it is "smarter" than you since it is marketed as "AI" ... There is no user's manual on the DLink site (never a good sign).
There's an option to turn off the AI... But, on that note, what router is recommended?? My step dad is considering getting yet another router if this isn't fixed soon, he wants one with the "perfect settings options" ...I wanna try and get to the bottom of this as best as I can though (With help though of course)

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2024
So according to your description the situation look like the following table? And the webrtc error messages only occurs on Android devices? However, Android using ISP wireless data (hotspot) work even though there are errors when you troubleshoot webrtc?

Not familiar with webrtc, just want to gather correct info.

And what modem/modem gateway you get from Spectrum? Is it in router or bridge mode?

DiscordSkypeInstagram
PC with ethernetOKOKOK
PC with home wifi???
Android with home wifiXXX
Android using ISP wireless data (hotspot)OKOKOK
iOS using home wifi or ISP wireless data (hotspot)OKOKOK
Yes, I also did a webrct test with the hotspot, and it didn't give the error...

Also it's in router mode

TRENDING THREADS