Ziraelll2077

Prominent
Apr 18, 2022
hey friends! I got an RTX 2060 at the beginning of this year and ever since I've had a few questions regarding temperatures, is 32/35c normal for idles and 50 to 60c normal temps during 40 to 55% load in gaming sessions? when under 70% load up to 100% it reaches 81c which that I'm not too concerned about, all that worries me is the other temps listed, are they normal? case airflow is decently good and right now where i live it's 20c but it can reach the high 30s in summer, will it be fine? thanks :)

SOLVED, EDIT: Turns out my high temperatures ingame were due to me setting my power management mode to Adaptive/Maximum Performance. If you're having the same issues as me simply set it to Optimal Power, that option will make sure the game/application you're using only uses the NEEDED amount of clock speeds and memory clocks to maintain a stable temperature and stable gpu utilization. if you monitor your GPU usage, you'll see that it's being used more than usual on optimal p. but it's normal, if you do something like disable VSync and compare both Adaptive/max perf to optimal power, you'll see you're still getting the same framerates, it just tones down the clock speeds and memory clocks when not all is needed. hope I helped someone out there.

Last edited:
Solution
Actually, it's normal for some GPUs to heat while gaming. Some have a triple-fan cooling solution, whereas others sport a single fan. Some cards also have this FAN STOP 0 decibel feature, which means the fans won't spin unless under heavy load, or the temp crosses a set threshold value, 55-60C.

Every GPU model and SKU is different.

On what screen resolution/refresh rate are you gaming btw ? 1080p ? Have you also tried applying a custom fan profile curve via MSI Afterburner tool, or any other GPU app ? This is not always necessary, but sometimes it might be a good idea if your card is heating during stress/gaming.
Actually, it's normal for some GPUs to heat while gaming. Some have a triple-fan cooling solution, whereas others sport a single fan. Some cards also have this FAN STOP 0 decibel feature, which means the fans won't spin unless under heavy load, or the temp crosses a set threshold value, 55-60C.

On what screen resolution/refresh rate are you gaming btw ? 1080p ? Have you also tried applying a custom fan profile curve via MSI Afterburner tool, or any other GPU app ? This is not always necessary, but sometimes it might be a good idea if your card is heating during stress/gaming.

Solution

Ziraelll2077

Prominent
Apr 18, 2022

yeah my fans are actually always spinning even on idle, I think I read that it's a EVGA thing or whatever, I've also tried making custom Fan Curves but I think I only made matters worse so I reseted it back to default and edited it a little bit and it seemed to help, I'm rocking two 1080p monitors running at 60hz as well.

my fans are actually always spinning even on idle, I think I read that it's a EVGA thing or whatever

Yes, your EVGA GPU model with a single fan does not have the Fan stop feature unlike other models. It's not a very big deal though, as fans will only spin at a very low RPM during idle desktop mode/web browsing etc.

You can always check the fan speed via any GPU tool and adjust the fan speed if the temps are a bit high. But, it appears that you have figured out the cause of the high temp value, which was due to Windows power management mode.

Btw, on a side note, speaking of power saving features, when opening the advanced settings for your power options, you will also see the Link State Power Management option under the PCI Express category. It is a part of PCI Express Specification and works with Active State Power Management (ASPM) in Microsoft Windows. Best suited for laptops and mobile devices.

You can also use it on a desktop though. Even if the setting is OFF the PC will consume few extra watts at idle mode. It allows Windows to lower PCIe lane speeds or even put lanes in standby to save some power.

There are 3 main options under the PCI Express Link State Power Management section. The main difference between them is the power savings and the latency, which is the time to re-wake from the Sleep state. Here are the 3 options :
  • Off: If you select this option, there will be no power saving and the current will run whenever the state your computer is in. (Depending on your PC is plugged in or not.) But you can recover from the Sleep state quickly.
  • Moderate power savings: If you select this option, it will garner less power savings, but the time to recover from the Sleep state is much shorter.
  • Maximum Power Savings: If you select this option, it will garner more power savings, but the time to recover from the Sleep state is much longer.