Question RTX 2070 super getting low fps in Control

Newguy69

Honorable
Jun 26, 2017
Running Control at medium settings with all RTX options enabled and I'm only getting 35~40 fps in 1440p. I just updated all my drivers and windows with no results. Anyone know what the issue could be?
Specs:
• Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350 gaming 3
• Ryzen 2700x
• EVGA RTX 2070 Super KO
• EVGA supernova 650w G2
• Corsair 2x8 GB Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4
(my ram is actually running at 3200MHz as well)

Ak47Egy

Honorable
Jun 4, 2016
So first of all Control is not really the best optimized game outhere, so poor FPS has been an issue for a lot of people, but I've noticed that the latest Nvidia driver has been acting up on some GPUs, try to install an older driver and see what happens next

I play Control also at 1440p with an RTX 2080 Super, and unless I use DLSS (resolution upscaling) I only get around 50-60 FPS with the settings maxed out.

With DLSS i get around 70-80 FPS with the similar settings (I lowered a few settings).

So I think your results are as expected for your GPU and this particular game.

Raytracing kills the performance in this game.

Try using DLSS, the game still looks decent at 1440p, in my opinion, eventhough I obviously would prefer rendering the game at native 1440p resolution - but I like the extra FPS of using upscaling.

Here's a settings guide for Control I have found useful (for a quick look at the settings)

EDIT: Page 8 in the link above, shows the expected average FPS for a 2070 Super at different resolutions, and it shows roughly the same as your own result.

I found this Control Performance Guide useful as well (it is more in-depth)

Last edited:

Newguy69

Honorable
Jun 26, 2017
I play Control also at 1440p with an RTX 2080 Super, and unless I use DLSS (resolution upscaling) I only get around 50-60 FPS with the settings maxed out.

With DLSS i get around 70-80 FPS with the similar settings (I lowered a few settings).

So I think your results are as expected for your GPU and this particular game.

Raytracing kills the performance in this game.

Try using DLSS, the game still looks decent at 1440p, in my opinion, eventhough I obviously would prefer rendering the game at native 1440p resolution - but I like the extra FPS of using upscaling.

Here's a settings guide for Control I have found useful (for a quick look at the settings)

EDIT: Page 8 in the link above, shows the expected average FPS for a 2070 Super at different resolutions, and it shows roughly the same as your own result.

I found this Control Performance Guide useful as well (it is more in-depth)

Thank you for the detailed reply! I've been looking everywhere on how to turn on DLSS but the option is greyed out saying that an RTX card is required to use it. Any idea on how to fix that?

No, I haven't run into that problem, it sounds very strange since you obviously have a DLSS compatible GPU.

Do you remember to launch the game in DX12 mode? (When I launch DX11 mode, I get the same notification as you mention of RTX card required)

If you are in fact in DX12 mode, the problem lies elsewhere.

I did a quick google search on the problem, and the two threads I found both mentioned that Windows has to be up-to-date, likely due to DX12 issues.

Is your Windfows fully updated, and are you on the latest Nvidia driver?

Those are the only two things I can think of

EDIT:

Here are the links to the two threads I found

Thread 1

Thread 2

Last edited:

Newguy69

Honorable
Jun 26, 2017
No, I haven't run into that problem, it sounds very strange since you obviously have a DLSS compatible GPU.

Do you remember to launch the game in DX12 mode? (When I launch DX11 mode, I get the same notification as you mention of RTX card required)

If you are in fact in DX12 mode, the problem lies elsewhere.

I did a quick google search on the problem, and the two threads I found both mentioned that Windows has to be up-to-date, likely due to DX12 issues.

Is your Windfows fully updated, and are you on the latest Nvidia driver?

Those are the only two things I can think of

EDIT:

Here are the links to the two threads I found

Thread 1

Thread 2

Thanks for the quick reply. I've read those threads already unfortunately and already tried updating windows as well as running in DX12. I really don't know what the issue could be..