savvth01

Commendable
Aug 26, 2018
Hello everyone i have rtx 2070 as my graphics card and i have a question,whenever i am playing a high demanding game i am reaching 70-72 C on my card , when i am idle/watching streams its 46C but since i am a temperature junky i always want to know that these temperatures are not too high and that they are decent.... also i would want to know what might lead to these temperatures if they are high.. like is it the cable management? which i dont know if ive done a good job because thats my first build ive done alone... or is it the airflow in general of my computer?

i have 2 front fans 1 upper fan and 1 in the back,the 2 in front are pushing air in and the 1 in the top and the back are pushing it out... i would love to see any comments about this thanks anyways!

Edit : i wouldnt care that much but my friend has the EXACT same pc as me and he has 58C when we do the same stuff on it... for example playing COD Warzone in that case.. and this got me wondering..

Solution
For a gpu, anything under @ 80°C is normal.
Airflow most affects idle or very low load temps. After a certain point, there's a change in the thermal dynamics and the load wattage output by the processor becomes far less responsive to ambient temps and more responsive to heatsink efficiency. With a gpu pushing loads hard enough to get 70ish°C +, not going to make a hill of beans difference if the case ambient is 22°C or 32°C.

So while playing with fan curves for middling-low loads can get good audible results or good thermal results, you won't change that 70ish°C much at all without greatly increasing the heatsink efficiency. Better fans, better model with more/larger heatpipes etc.

The smaller, single fan mITX type gpus suffer the...
Go to Nvidia Contol Panel-3D settings-Global settings-Power Management-set to "Adaptive".

Your card is running full, in adaptive it ramps up when gaming and trundles quietly the rest of the time.
My RTX 2080 Idle 28-30c, gaming in Ultra settings (COD-MW etc)60-63c. Ambient temp is 22-24c.

Cheers

savvth01

Commendable
Aug 26, 2018
Msi Afterburner/EVGA Precision X: You can set you own fan curve with those apps. It's also advised to do so, because the default fan curves tend to be bad.

Ok what should i set it to? whats the most decent one to have them at? because i have no clue? thanks!

Go to Nvidia Contol Panel-3D settings-Global settings-Power Management-set to "Adaptive".

Your card is running full, in adaptive it ramps up when gaming and trundles quietly the rest of the time.
My RTX 2080 Idle 28-30c, gaming in Ultra settings (COD-MW etc)60-63c. Ambient temp is 22-24c.

Cheers

ok ive done that im gonna check how it runs now thanks for replying.... im also gonna do that fan curve adjustments on the msi afterburner

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok what should i set it to? whats the most decent one to have them at? because i have no clue? thanks!
Find one that YOU are comfortable with. There's no universal answer for this one.
Maybe one that starts the fans at 30% up until 60C, after which it shoots up to 70%, and slowly rises from there? Too loud at 70%? Then make adjustments.

This is what mine looks like - it's a pretty aggressive one, as I'm not easily bothered by fan noise:
View: https://imgur.com/T4inA5d

savvth01

Commendable
Aug 26, 2018
View: https://imgur.com/a/0VcjCUy
mine looks something like that,i think it makes sense i just bumped it up when it reaches 60 degrees which always happens when i play a high demanding game so that will help i think.. ill run a couple of games and edit this to let you know EDIT : i played 3-4 games and still about 68-72C constantly no change even with fan curves,i guess its the airflow of my case then.. i dont really know
Find one that YOU are comfortable with. There's no universal answer for this one.
Maybe one that starts the fans at 30% up until 60C, after which it shoots up to 70%, and slowly rises from there? Too loud at 70%? Then make adjustments.

This is what mine looks like - it's a pretty aggressive one, as I'm not easily bothered by fan noise:
View: https://imgur.com/T4inA5d

Last edited:
30-35 is great idle, better than 45 for sure, I do have great cooling but even 68-72 is pretty ok. I apperciate you want max performance with minimum heat (don't we all) but if you stay south of 80c there is no issue for the card itself, nothing will burn.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For a gpu, anything under @ 80°C is normal.
Airflow most affects idle or very low load temps. After a certain point, there's a change in the thermal dynamics and the load wattage output by the processor becomes far less responsive to ambient temps and more responsive to heatsink efficiency. With a gpu pushing loads hard enough to get 70ish°C +, not going to make a hill of beans difference if the case ambient is 22°C or 32°C.

So while playing with fan curves for middling-low loads can get good audible results or good thermal results, you won't change that 70ish°C much at all without greatly increasing the heatsink efficiency. Better fans, better model with more/larger heatpipes etc.

The smaller, single fan mITX type gpus suffer the worst in this area as the heatsink has far less overall surface area than its larger triple fan brothers. Similar performance, worse high load temps due to lowering efficiency with raising load outputs.

Solution

savvth01

Commendable
Aug 26, 2018
What is your case?

A simple test of how much your case restricts airflow: remove the front and side panels. Run those same tests.
What's the difference in temperatures?

Ive got the corsair carbide spec-05,i think it might be the cable management but i think ive done a good job.. i dont know ill just leave it as it is for now

The Corsair carbide spec-05 is a nice looking case but not much room for fresh air from the 2 narrow front vents, that is sure going to restrict airflow. The Corsair cheaper cases don't have the best airflow and the addition of another fan may help somewhat.