RTX 2080 Ti Owners Complain of Defects, Nvidia Responds

folkema

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
From the article "Many of these claims haven't been verified either, and if trolls can spread enough disinformation to impact elections they can almost certainly inspire doubt in Nvidia's flagship product."

That is the key. I read the posts on nvidias forum and over at reddit. Each case has no proof of problem and is just a report. This could be legit but with the state of information currently some healthy skepticism is necessary. We are also talking about a half dozen reports here even if legit.

and if trolls can spread enough disinformation to impact elections

This is almost begging some to jump topic and argue over whether the claim is valid, or just a part of the blame game.

they can almost certainly inspire doubt in Nvidia's flagship product.

NVidia started the doubt train in the way they handled the announcement... it isn't hard to imagine that others will give it a good push to give it some momentum. It also isn't hard to imagine that NVidia, wanting to make sure they had a good lead on AMD, and fearing AMD just might pull a Ryzen out of their hat in the GPU market, may have rushed it to market, bugs and all. We just don't have enough info... and I'm sure NVidia won't tell

gahelm1

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
My 2080TI FE died after no more than 24 hours of use. Lots of visual artifacts, games crashing, PC crashing, and finally wont even boot with the card installed. Removed it and put in old GTX1080 and all is well again. I'm hoping to get working replacement from Nvidia.

Ouch! Good luck dude!

alextheblue

Distinguished

Yeah it's probably not widespread - I think they've learned their lesson from Bumpgate. But it would be a lot more reassuring if they published an approximate figure like "less than 1%" or something of that nature. Otherwise who knows for certain. I hope they (and board partners) are giving priority to customers with defective cards. Some people don't keep their old card around for long, it gets used in another machine or sold off.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

The FE seems so insanely overbuilt, it seems ironic if there are quality problems.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9FtXZGQzfM"][/video]

He estimates the cooler, alone, contains 70 screws.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

I know you can have silicon problems even with an overbuilt cooler. That's why it's merely ironic and not outright contradictory.

Incipient

Reputable
Mar 9, 2017
I would put a lot of the blame at the insanely large wafer required, and nvidia/fabs really shaving down the tolerance for what passes QA checks to get yields as high as possible (and hoping people don't have issues).

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Is this based on any evidence/data, or merely a hunch?

hannibal

Distinguished
The bigger cpu/gpu the more defective chips you get. It has been the norms as long as we have had prosessors. That is why new proses starts with small products.
But all in all all chips should be tested and binned so it should not have effect to the end users. Those rtx chips Are allready cut down version because of those defective part that has been disabled to get better yealds.

Who would even consider to buy a gpu that they don't even know would be that much better than the previous gen cards?
In the end the rtx cards are just barely better than the Pascal cards while costing a lot more with all the hype about RTX.
I asked the same question for awhile now: How many games actually support ray tracing? How many fps do they expect these overpriced cards will give you when ray tracing is turned on?
Nvidia has become even greedier than Apple

Yes this logic is impeccable. If I buy it now, I get to be an early adaptor for a tech that doesn't exist outside of demos! Imagine all the bragging rights that brings! :pt1cable:

Oct 31, 2018

This

Sure Toms. Fanboys have nothing better to do than fabricate false claims of failure rates. Really now. Must be why this site's traffic is thriving these days. Maybe the Russians will get blamed next.

My 2080TI FE died after no more than 24 hours of use. Lots of visual artifacts, games crashing, PC crashing, and finally wont even boot with the card installed. Removed it and put in old GTX1080 and all is well again. I'm hoping to get working replacement from Nvidia.
Same here. It lasted less than 24 hours and went toast.