blood_monster2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2013
Hey guys! So i bought MSI RTX 2080 Ti Lightning Z from my cousin for 200 USD he wanted to quit gaming and gave me an awesome discount for that card but he wants to keep his CPU and other components.

my current PC since 2012 have the following Specs:
Motherboard: P8Z77-V Pro
CPU: i7-3770
GPU: Zotac GTX 780 ti amp extreme
Ram: Kingston HyperX Fury (8GB x 4) 32GB DDR3 1866 mhz
SSD: Kingston SSDNOW v200 (operating system)
HDD: WD 1TB 7,200 RPM
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W A
Mointor:ASUS VG248QE 24" Full HD 1920x1080 144Hz

is that processor too weak for that card will i have major bottleneck? am really excited to try ray tracing like on battlefield 5.

should i cancel my purchase for battlefield 5 and save for new PC i have already add the card but i dont have any games the needs high demand

getting max cap on Apex Legends 144fps and on dota 2 average 170 fps and 240 fps on battlefield 3

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Lower resolutions have greater impact to CPU since CPU can not "feed" the GPU fast enough. Since you are gaming at 1080p, your bottleneck will be greater and I suspect it will be around 15-20%.

If you switch to 1440p or even better 4k, your bottleneck will minimise and especially in 4k almost not worthy mentioning.

You should upgrade to a better (higher resolution) monitor and you should be good. Even if you want to upgrade your system, I consider 2080ti a major overkill for 1080p so the monitor is certainly the first choice of upgrade.
Lower resolutions have greater impact to CPU since CPU can not "feed" the GPU fast enough. Since you are gaming at 1080p, your bottleneck will be greater and I suspect it will be around 15-20%.

If you switch to 1440p or even better 4k, your bottleneck will minimise and especially in 4k almost not worthy mentioning.

You should upgrade to a better (higher resolution) monitor and you should be good. Even if you want to upgrade your system, I consider 2080ti a major overkill for 1080p so the monitor is certainly the first choice of upgrade.

Solution
Research 1440p vs 4K. 1440p 144Hz is better for fast moving gaming where as 4K is better for high detail but where reaction times are less important. 4K would be better from a bottleneck point of view but might be too far from a gaming experience perspective.

Sep 29, 2019
(Updated Post):Well,I don't think you should upgrade your monitor but instead upgrade your CPU.
(at the same time I agree upgrading the monitors too but please take a look at this post).
Your CPU i7-3770

ARK INTEL
Performance

• # of Cores - 4
  • # of Threads - 8
  • Processor Base Frequency - 3.40 GHz
  • Max Turbo Frequency - 3.90 GHz
  • Cache - 8 MB SmartCache
  • Bus Speed - 5 GT/s DMI
  • TDP - 77 W

(4 cores can handle RTX 2080 TI? Especially that the the 4 cores Turbo boost are barley 4Ghz)
I thought of this because when I was looking at stats on how much FPS would you get in AAA titles using the Build you have.DDR3 32gb Ram is overkill but future proof so no problems in performance with that much amount of ram but, its ridiculous to me if you want to upgrade your ram consider changing to DDR4 (you don't have to but your ram speeds are multiplied with higher DDR numbers currently DDR6 is max and don't buy it DDR3 and DDR4 is enough, DDR5 and DDR6 ram is usually for more consistent performance and the ability to make the GPU reach its max running power without any problems).You don't have to change your PSU since its More then enough.Kingston SSD doesn't matter to performance but it makes you transfer data faster then normal depending on Your wifi upload speed.A TB Hardrive is good but more then enough but still its a nice addition.

The bottlenecks are near 20% and I recommend to upgrade to a intel i7-6700k or i7-8700k or i7-9700k the over clock versions 6th gen of i7 can work too.(only if your motherboard can support it.)i7-4790k etc.

if you cant buy those I recommend you to get a AMD CPU only if your motherboard can support it.
Ryzen 7 3700x is a Ideal cpu for it or the expensive Ryzen 9 3900x or you can wait for the better one Ryzen 9 3950x,Ryzen 7 2700x etc.

If you experience bottlenecking you should change your CPU running power if it bottlenecks the GPU if the GPU bottlenecks the CPU consider overclocking the CPU to higher speeds then normal.Like I said, A 900 watt PSU is good and more then enough.You cant overclock the CPU where it requires more power then The PSU can.Intensive GPU,RAM,CPU Overclocking probably needs more then 1000 watt power supplys but im not encouraging you to upgrade your PSU though its enough for now and for the future.

Newer Motherboards may also increase the performance depending if its used for a long time or if it damages it can help transfer power faster and bring data faster.

Higher Resolutions can help keep the games running smooth but the PC may get louder(such as fans at 100 percent max usage) because the GPU needs to work harder to handle the more detail and fans increase in RPM to keep the heat out and keep minimum airflow.(VERY HIGH POWER on a component of an motherboard can damage it and likely damage its lifetime fixing cpus and gpus are hard especially when opening it up and checking the board to see if there any burns).Right now if you don't want to listen to this post and listen to the others about the ones saying use higher resolutions on your computer to smoothen the performance I agree with them but im including the upgrade on the cpu so you can get more performance out of the GPU.

Monitors are expensive especially you want that 1ms 4k 244hz LG or ASUS Monitor lol but seriously you don't need to spend that much especially for those kinds for people who want to make money off of competitive online gaming like the Fortnite World Cup.

The only time you want higher hz is the Laptop Linus Tech Tips made a review on where it can reach up too 300hz refresh rates but since Your son doesn't want to change all of his components its just a random suggestion or a reference.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019
Will do! thanks, am keeping my eye on that ASUS MG279Q Black 27" WQHD 144Hz Free-Sync what do you think? @sizzling

Well that's a 1440p monitor but the higher resolution will indeed help but I rather get the one that supports G sync since it helps your GPU from wrecking your performance on your resolution.(G Sync is from Nvidia) but the same specs as your monitor your thinking of.

this is 150 dollars more then your Monitor your thinking of but the specs in here are a incredibly good price for this monitor

https://www.amazon.com/AOC-AG241QX-...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

(Updated Post):Well,I don't think you should upgrade your monitor but instead upgrade your CPU.
(at the same time I agree upgrading the monitors too but please take a look at this post).
Your CPU i7-3770

(4 cores can handle RTX 2080 TI? Especially that the the 4 cores Turbo boost are barley 4Ghz)
I thought of this because when I was looking at stats on how much FPS would you get in AAA titles using the Build you have.DDR3 32gb Ram is overkill but future proof so no problems in performance with that much amount of ram but, its ridiculous to me if you want to upgrade your ram consider changing to DDR4 (you don't have to but your ram speeds are multiplied with higher DDR numbers currently DDR6 is max and don't buy it DDR3 and DDR4 is enough, DDR5 and DDR6 ram is usually for more consistent performance and the ability to make the GPU reach its max running power without any problems).You don't have to change your PSU since its More then enough.Kingston SSD doesn't matter to performance but it makes you transfer data faster then normal depending on Your wifi upload speed.A TB Hardrive is good but more then enough but still its a nice addition.

The bottlenecks are near 20% and I recommend to upgrade to a intel i7-6700k or i7-8700k or i7-9700k the over clock versions 6th gen of i7 can work too.(only if your motherboard can support it.)i7-4790k etc.

if you cant buy those I recommend you to get a AMD CPU only if your motherboard can support it.
Ryzen 7 3700x is a Ideal cpu for it or the expensive Ryzen 9 3900x or you can wait for the better one Ryzen 9 3950x,Ryzen 7 2700x etc.

If you experience bottlenecking you should change your CPU running power if it bottlenecks the GPU if the GPU bottlenecks the CPU consider overclocking the CPU to higher speeds then normal.Like I said, A 900 watt PSU is good and more then enough.You cant overclock the CPU where it requires more power then The PSU can.Intensive GPU,RAM,CPU Overclocking probably needs more then 1000 watt power supplys but im not encouraging you to upgrade your PSU though its enough for now and for the future.

Newer Motherboards may also increase the performance depending if its used for a long time or if it damages it can help transfer power faster and bring data faster.

Higher Resolutions can help keep the games running smooth but the PC may get louder(such as fans at 100 percent max usage) because the GPU needs to work harder to handle the more detail and fans increase in RPM to keep the heat out and keep minimum airflow.(VERY HIGH POWER on a component of an motherboard can damage it and likely damage its lifetime fixing cpus and gpus are hard especially when opening it up and checking the board to see if there any burns).Right now if you don't want to listen to this post and listen to the others about the ones saying use higher resolutions on your computer to smoothen the performance I agree with them but im including the upgrade on the cpu so you can get more performance out of the GPU.

Monitors are expensive especially you want that 1ms 4k 244hz LG or ASUS Monitor lol but seriously you don't need to spend that much especially for those kinds for people who want to make money off of competitive online gaming like the Fortnite World Cup.

The only time you want higher hz is the Laptop Linus Tech Tips made a review on where it can reach up too 300hz refresh rates but since Your son doesn't want to change all of his components its just a random suggestion or a reference.
Please refrain from making these semi-educated posts. Most of the things you said are wrong.
You have confused DDR memory with GDDR. One is used by the operating system and is placed in the motherboard's dimm slots, the other by the GPU. You can not buy GDDR5 or GDDR6 to put in the motherboard slots.

Every SSD helps a system during boot, loading times in games, loading of programs, installing, uninstalling, faster response from your system and many other things. So it does matter to performance.
Also the wifi upload speed matters only when you use wifi, you want to upload something on the internet, or sharing files in your local area network.

His motherboard does not support any CPU from 5th generation and above so if he wants to upgrade he is looking for new motherboard, ram and CPU. Which is way more expensive than buying a new monitor.
If he does upgrade all those things, he will have too powerful of a system that he will not be able to utilise in full as the resolution of his monitor is too low. He will continue to be CPU bounded in 1080p.

Overclocking his system certainly DOES NOT require more than 1000w. He won't even need 700w.

The PC might get louder as you said but that depends on the cooling solutions you have in your case. To have the GPU "work harder" as you said, is the whole purpose. You don't buy a powerful PC to use it at half it's potential.

The motherboard and some of the components have power fail-safes. If the limits are exceeded, the PC will turn off or not boot at all. It's very hard to damage your PC if you have a quality PSU.

The logical thing to do is to upgrade the monitor since it will be used for many years, possibly through more than 1 builds. If he upgrades the system instead he will have a powerful system and he will not use most of it's "horsepower".