Question Rtx 3060 or 4060?

Oct 24, 2023
Ive been looking at gpus, and in my last post i was asking about any gpus, however i think ive decided that im definitely picking between the 3060 or 4060 (Mainly due to their price), i have been told about different cards such as some amd cards (Although the prices are alot higher than ive been told so im most likely not going to pick either), My main issue with choosing is that ive been told many mixed views about wich gpu is better, the 3060 usually because it has more vram , although im not sure how much more useful it is, and in videos that ive seen the 4060 seems to have higher fps than the 3060 and also draws less power, but still has less vram, in basic terms what i would really like to know is how important the vram in the 3060 truly is

rene641

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
"Our test suite is generally heavy on demanding games, with eight RT enabled games and quite a few others that can struggle on 8GB of VRAM. Diablo IV, Forza Horizon 5, The Last of Us, Spider-Man: Miles Morales, and Watch Dogs Legion all represent games that can benefit by having more than 8GB of VRAM, even at 1080p and 1440p. We know this by looking at Nvidia's RTX 4060 Ti in both 8GB and 16GB trim. But comparing the 4060 8GB and 3060 12GB, those same five games generally run better on the 4060 at 1440p and below."

https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/gpus/rtx-4060-vs-rtx-3060-12gb-gpu-faceoff

I personally wouldn't buy a 3060 or a 4060. I'd rather buy an used 4070 in good condition.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
in basic terms what i would really like to know is how important the vram in the 3060 truly is
- VRAM doesn't help the 3060 perform better
- it does help run games with lots of mods IF those mods increase VRAM usage.

4060 is faster. The VRAM only makes a difference in very demanding, modern games that both the 3060 and 4060 are going to struggle with, and it makes a difference if running certain mods like hi-res mods or texture packs. Those significantly increase VRAM requiremens.

Better than either 3060 or 4060 is the RX 6750XT - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/GD...hallenger-pro-oc-video-card-rx6750xt-clp-12go
Faster than 4060, plus more VRAM, for almost the same price. 6750XT costs some ~$20-30 more, but you get a LOT better performance for that increase in cost.

That's the one you should buy.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
But 6750 XT has much worse RT than the RTX 40xx series. And I would say, 4070 is better...

https://technical.city/en/video/Radeon-RX-6750-XT-vs-GeForce-RTX-4070#benchmarks

Edit, sorry, no 4070 but 4060...
You won't get any good ray tracing with a 3060 or 4060. They can just barely cope with the strain so it's impossible to recommend them as ray tracing GPUs in good conscience.

The 6750XT is considerably faster in every scenario.
https://versus.com/en/amd-radeon-rx-6750-xt-vs-nvidia-geforce-rtx-4060

I have a 4060 and i would heartily recommend it over the 3060, but not over the 6750XT, and not when the 6750XT is so close in price.

I would only suggest the 4060 if the budget is no higher than $300 or gaming demands are modest.
I'm very happy with my 4060, but i am aware of it's limits. Hella good GPU for not-so-demanding games, but useless for demanding games. Just how it is.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Most people with low end cards are not going to be using RT.
For 1080p get the 4060 over the 3060 if those are your only 2 choices.

You could put 24GB on the 3060 and still not have a better card you get to a point where the power of the card can't push it anyhow.

Ive been looking at gpus, and in my last post i was asking about any gpus, however i think ive decided that im definitely picking between the 3060 or 4060 (Mainly due to their price), i have been told about different cards such as some amd cards (Although the prices are alot higher than ive been told so im most likely not going to pick either), My main issue with choosing is that ive been told many mixed views about wich gpu is better, the 3060 usually because it has more vram , although im not sure how much more useful it is, and in videos that ive seen the 4060 seems to have higher fps than the 3060 and also draws less power, but still has less vram, in basic terms what i would really like to know is how important the vram in the 3060 truly is
A few questions need to be answered here:
  • What games are you looking to play? You don't have to list every one of them, but whatever you think is going to be graphically intense
  • What resolution do you want to play them at? Answer with the minimum you're willing to work with
  • What quality settings do you want to use? For ease of answering, choose Low, Medium, High, or maximum
  • What performance do you at least want to get? e.g., "at least 30 FPS"
  • Do you care about any specific features like ray tracing, DLSS3, G-Sync, etc.?

Reactions: 35below0

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
If you’re worried about ray tracing don’t get the 4060 or 3060. Neither card is fast enough to actually make full use of ray tracing. You want the 6750xt as someone wise said for a similar price.
I wonder how someone wise came up with that?
Since he is probably the future (after us old timers are gone) and a new regular here at least he can learn. Nothing against anybody in fact coming from me it's a complement.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/i-dont-know-what-gpu-to-buy.3847121/#post-23282282

EDIT on a side note from your user name I guess your a buckeye fan? I wonder how much NIL money yall have spent to try to compete buying all the SEC transfer guys. That's not a serious question or is it LOL. Just picking at you a bit. The new 12 team will make things interesting. (AR fan so I can't really say much!)

They should of went to 16 teams and not give the so called top 4 a first round bye.

Last edited:

Joseph_138

Distinguished
3060 isn't a fast card. It's already starting to struggle in many of the newest games, even with 12gb of VRAM. I would go with the 4060, for the updated archtecture, better power efficiency, and DLSS 3 framegen.

I wonder how someone wise came up with that?
Since he is probably the future (after us old timers are gone) and a new regular here at least he can learn. Nothing against anybody in fact coming from me it's a complement.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/i-dont-know-what-gpu-to-buy.3847121/#post-23282282

EDIT on a side note from your user name I guess your a buckeye fan? I wonder how much NIL money yall have spent to try to compete buying all the SEC transfer guys. That's not a serious question or is it LOL. Just picking at you a bit. The new 12 team will make things interesting. (AR fan so I can't really say much!)

They should of went to 16 teams and not give the so called top 4 a first round bye.

As far as the gpu the amd cards can do ray tracing, just not as well as nvidia but that card is closer to a 3070 with extra vram. So it should have more staying power than the 2 cards here.

As far as the Buckeyes and NIL and the SEC…please. 2015 I think it was the first time the playoffs were held, the Buckeyes room down Oregon and Alabama with a 3rd string qb no less and won the championship. Nice try.

The bucks haven’t been as good the last couple of years, but they had the potential. Ryan Day is a good coach, but he’s not Urban Meyer. As far as them losing to Michigan, hey tough game I get it. But for the qb to be a whiner and leave to go somewhere else because he might not start a game? Don’t need a qb like that. As far as the bowl game vs Mizzou. Their issue I think was they only prepped with the 2nd string and when he got hurt they had to put in a freshman who probably hadn’t had many snaps, but then they turned one dimensional and kept trying to run. Had they started throwing the ball they may have had a shot.

Don’t count the buckeyes out. There’s a saying, they don’t rebuild, they reload. But I do think they need to figure out the coaching fast.

I do remember many times as a fight song the band would play hang on sloppy. Which was appropriate at the time because many times they’d just barely hang on. This was when Jim Tressel was there before Urban Meyer.

TRENDING THREADS