[SOLVED] RTX 3070 causing black screen issues with audio still playing

V3rS3

Reputable
Oct 3, 2019
Hello, my ASUS TUF Gaming 3070 OC (that I bought off of Ebay in November 2022) has been acting up for about ~4 months now, before I would be able to play as much as I want with no black screen, but for these past 4 months any GPU intensive game just gives me a black screen after about 10 to 40 minutes (depending on graphics settings),When I get the black screen I can still click use my keyboard and mouse (can also hear audio) and can also use shortcuts like Alt+F4 to exit spotify, etc. I've basically confirmed that this is a GPU issue by using my old RX 580 to try to replicate the issue and couldn't.

This issue seems to sometimes stop or take longer to happen when I lower power consumption in MSI Afterburner, by the way I don't think the issue is happening because of temps because I noticed that the crashes are happening even when I am averaging 77C. (By the way I have to force shut down after black screen happens)

This issue first started happening when I started playing The Last Of Us Part 1, and now it happens in basically most GPU intensive games like FIFA, Spiderman Miles Morales and Forza Horizon, in these games I can sometimes at most play an hour with no blackscreen but for example when I play games like Overwatch 2 I can play for as long as I want with no black screen.

PC Specs: Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 3070 OC | Ryzen 5 5600x | Aorus B550 Elite v2 | RM1000x PSU | 8x2 GB 3000Mhz corsair ram

Some fixes I've tried: Many different GPU drivers (Using DDU)
Different Bios versions
Using 2 PCI-e 8 cables instead of 1
Undervolting
Using 1 stick of ram
Re-seating the GPU Changing
PCI-E speed to gen 3
Disabling XMP and PBO
Formatting Windows 10 and Installing Windows 11

In reliability history I see that when the PC black screens I get a DWM.exe appcrash and also a livekernelevent 14, only thing I haven't done now is change the thermal paste in the GPU but I think that's unlikely to fix the issue since it rarely ever goes above 82C, and I don't think I can RMA since I got it off of ebay even though it's still under warranty. What can I do at this point? Any tips would be appreciated, thank you!

Solution
Hello, my ASUS TUF Gaming 3070 OC (that I bought off of Ebay in November 2022) has been acting up for about ~4 months now, before I would be able to play as much as I want with no black screen, but for these past 4 months any GPU intensive game just gives me a black screen after about 10 to 40 minutes (depending on graphics settings),When I get the black screen I can still click use my keyboard and mouse (can also hear audio) and can also use shortcuts like Alt+F4 to exit spotify, etc. I've basically confirmed that this is a GPU issue by using my old RX 580 to try to replicate the issue and couldn't.

This issue seems to sometimes stop or take longer to happen when I lower power consumption in MSI Afterburner, by the way I don't...

This issue seems to sometimes stop or take longer to happen when I lower power consumption in MSI Afterburner, by the way I don't think the issue is happening because of temps because I noticed that the crashes are happening even when I am averaging 77C. (By the way I have to force shut down after black screen happens)

This issue first started happening when I started playing The Last Of Us Part 1, and now it happens in basically most GPU intensive games like FIFA, Spiderman Miles Morales and Forza Horizon, in these games I can sometimes at most play an hour with no blackscreen but for example when I play games like Overwatch 2 I can play for as long as I want with no black screen.

PC Specs: Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 3070 OC | Ryzen 5 5600x | Aorus B550 Elite v2 | RM1000x PSU | 8x2 GB 3000Mhz corsair ram

Some fixes I've tried: Many different GPU drivers (Using DDU)
Different Bios versions
Using 2 PCI-e 8 cables instead of 1
Undervolting
Using 1 stick of ram
Re-seating the GPU Changing
PCI-E speed to gen 3
Disabling XMP and PBO
Formatting Windows 10 and Installing Windows 11

In reliability history I see that when the PC black screens I get a DWM.exe appcrash and also a livekernelevent 14, only thing I haven't done now is change the thermal paste in the GPU but I think that's unlikely to fix the issue since it rarely ever goes above 82C, and I don't think I can RMA since I got it off of ebay even though it's still under warranty. What can I do at this point? Any tips would be appreciated, thank you!
If you are able to lower the power consumption and it works like it should it sounds like one of the power rails is shot. This happens ALOT with mining cards that are being resold afterwards.

V3rS3

Reputable
Oct 3, 2019
If you are able to lower the power consumption and it works like it should it sounds like one of the power rails is shot. This happens ALOT with mining cards that are being resold afterwards.
Oh wow, yeah that would make sense since the seller had 2 other 3070s listed, is there any possible fix or is it a lost hope?

I think that you may be crashing from VRAM overflow, but I don't know for sure. Some games react badly to VRAM overflow and IIRC, The Last of Us Part 1 is one of those games. The fact that this isn't happening with non-GPU-intensive games like Overwatch is very telling because they don't need a lot of VRAM.

See if this fixes the problem:
  1. Reduce the resolution to 1080p (if you're not already at 1080p)
  2. Turn off ALL forms of ray-tracing
If this solves the problem, then I can pretty much guarantee you that the problem stems from the fact that the RTX 3070 only has 8GB of VRAM which can cause problems at 1440p with high settings or even 1080p with ray-tracing.

If the problem persists even still, try running DDU and re-installing the drivers. If that doesn't solve it, I think there's a good chance that your card is defective.

Solution

V3rS3

Reputable
Oct 3, 2019
I think that you may be crashing from VRAM overflow, but I don't know for sure. Some games react badly to VRAM overflow and IIRC, The Last of Us Part 1 is one of those games. The fact that this isn't happening with non-GPU-intensive games like Overwatch is very telling because they don't need a lot of VRAM.

See if this fixes the problem:
  1. Reduce the resolution to 1080p (if you're not already at 1080p)
  2. Turn off ALL forms of ray-tracing
If this solves the problem, then I can pretty much guarantee you that the problem stems from the fact that the RTX 3070 only has 8GB of VRAM which can cause problems at 1440p with high settings or even 1080p with ray-tracing.

If the problem persists even still, try running DDU and re-installing the drivers. If that doesn't solve it, I think there's a good chance that your card is defective.
I am pretty sure you're correct, I undervolted (not sure it matters in this scenario) and I've been doing some tests and monitoring my VRAM and I haven't crashed a single time when I was under my VRAM limit. Thank you!

Reactions: Avro Arrow