Question RTX 3070 + Ryzen 9 5900X underperforming. Can anyone tell me why?

thexyad

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
Hi there! I'm hoping the wise hivemind of Tom's Hardware will help me solve my issue before I reach out to a computer store or whatnot lol.

I have the GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING OC 8G and I have just installed AMD Ryzen 9 5900X with the Zalman CNPS 10X Performa Black cooler.
I upgraded to the Ryzen 9 from a Ryzen 5 3600.
With the Ryzen 5 3600 I was seeing pretty low FPS in Cyberpunk 2077 (for example). My FPS would be at 43-50s when videos on YouTube had it at 60s (obviously with identical specs and settings).
I was told it was likely the CPU that was the culprit so I upgraded to the Ryzen 9
Well, lo and behold, the FPS is LITERALLY the same. So was it the GPU this whole time? I was under the impression 3070 was a pretty high-end GPU?
I'd normally accept my fate but I have compared my FPS to youtube videos of the same CPU+GPU combo and they have yet again more than 10fps on me. :(

What's worse, I did the Time Spy benchmark in 3D Mark and got over 1000 points below average.
Soooo what gives? What could be the issue? Here's a link to my latest results: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING (3dmark.com)

Here are my GPU specs:
cjylo25.png

(I will mention I have made sure to have the GPU at max performance both in Nvidia CP and in power settings.)

larsv8

Distinguished
What resolution are playing at? What power supply?

Cyberpunk is an incredibly demanding game, driving even modern high GPUs to their knees. It is almost certain that you are GPU bottlenecked if playing in 4k or 1440p. It would make perfect sense for your FPS to NOT improve after installing a 5900x if you were GPU bottlenecked.

You can't really compare what online youtube guy is getting, as even mobo, PSU, driver package, settings are all contributing factors. Differences there could easily be worth 15 fps. And not all 3070s are equal.

Reactions: TCA_ChinChin

thexyad

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
What resolution are playing at? What power supply?

Cyberpunk is an incredibly demanding game, driving even modern high GPUs to their knees. It is almost certain that you are GPU bottlenecked if playing in 4k or 1440p. It would make perfect sense for your FPS to NOT improve after installing a 5900x if you were GPU bottlenecked.

You can't really compare what online youtube guy is getting, as even mobo, PSU, driver package, settings are all contributing factors. Differences there could easily be worth 15 fps. And not all 3070s are equal.

I am indeed playing at 1440p.
My PSU is Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G 650W Digital 80+ Gold Fully Modular ATX 12V

I would feel better about the differences between me and youtube ppl if my benchmark results weren't below average. It made me wonder if something's off?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-5900x/21.html

Some clues were overlooked:
In both UBM runs, the base clock and turbo average were the same at 4.2ghz. 5900X's base clock is 3.7ghz.
The first 3D Mark run displayed more normal 5900X clocks and the correct base clock. The latest one is just like those UBM runs.
What's up here?

Going back to when the Ryzen 3600 was in the system... when's the last time Windows was clean installed?
It's not necessary when swapping out cpus, but if the Ryzen 3600 was an upgrade from a different platform, then it's another matter.

Reactions: kurdtnz

thexyad

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-5900x/21.html

Some clues were overlooked:
In both UBM runs, the base clock and turbo average were the same at 4.2ghz. 5900X's base clock is 3.7ghz.
The first 3D Mark run displayed more normal 5900X clocks and the correct base clock. The latest one is just like those UBM runs.
What's up here?

Going back to when the Ryzen 3600 was in the system... when's the last time Windows was clean installed?
It's not necessary when swapping out cpus, but if the Ryzen 3600 was an upgrade from a different platform, then it's another matter.

I reinstalled Windows about a week or so ago while still on the Ryzen 3600. The full reinstall where the files were deleted too. I had to cause I had been on the preview build and it was too buggy for my audio drivers. And they don't let you just switch to the stable build.

I didn't do anything special upgrading from that to 5900X but I just installed Ryzen Master and selected Auto OC and I'm currently optimizing the cores. Dunno if that helps but I thought might as well.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Also, it says your cpu is running only 6 cores and 12 threads on a 5900X?
And with 3D Mark, 12 cores are recognized, but it's like SMT was disabled(12, instead of 24 logical processors).

@thexyad , about all you would've needed to do after a cpu swap like that is update the chipset driver, if it wasn't already.
That's really it.

Windows search: config > boot tab > advanced options. Make sure 'number of processors' is unchecked.

Reactions: kurdtnz

thexyad

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
And with 3D Mark, 12 cores are recognized, but it's like SMT was disabled(12, instead of 24 logical processors).

@thexyad , about all you would've needed to do after a cpu swap like that is update the chipset driver, if it wasn't already.
That's really it.

Windows search: config > boot tab > advanced options. Make sure 'number of processors' is unchecked.

It is indeed unchecked.

thexyad

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
Oh hey, all 24 threads are recognized - base clock and turbo average are still stuck at 4.2ghz though.
That's either Ryzen Master or bios doing that - I'm not that familiar with Ryzen, so not too sure.

It said "4.8 GHz Max Boost, unlocked for overclocking, 70 MB of cache, DDR-3200 support" so is it bad that it's at 4.2?

My BIOS is indeed set on "Asus Optimal". Might be doing that?

Yeah, as mentioned before, your base speed should be at 3.7GHz and it should be able to at least run at 4.5GHz all core, (looking at other 5900X results.) but instead it looks to be downclocking. What kind of cooling are you using and what kind of temps are you seeing when the cpu is under load? To be honest though, I dont think it's a temp issue, like you said, it looks like some kind of settings issue?