Bobo1458

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
Hello! I was just wondering what the max temps/watts/and volts for the 3080 ftw3 ultra should look like. My GPU temps are up almost 70 C and I'm getting around 270-280w when gaming. My volts are 1.2. I've been getting not the best FPS with this card, nothing near as to what I thought it would be and I only game at 1080p. I should be maxing out all settings and getting well above what I have been getting for most of these games. I'm so confused. I've tried what feels like everything. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

PC Specs:
RTX 3080 EVGA FTW3 Ultra
Ryzen 9 5900x
ASUS PRIME Z370-A
PSU 850w Corsair
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz
H100 Corsair Liquid Cooler
x3 Samsung SSD's - x2 500g x1 1 Terra
144 Hz 1080p Acer Monitor

Solution
Ok so I think I'm sticking with the 5900x! Is there a way to know if my windows is setup for my new cpu? I think it's running fine, I haven't seen too many problems with it at all.

There some thing you may look for, but is kinda long to explain and write down. The short version will be if its working fine then it should be fine. The not soo short version will be go to your Device Manager and check theres no yellow exclamation (!) marks. (should look similar to this https://filestore.community.support.microsoft.com/api/images/0a1132ba-ae62-4ce6-805b-55a95b07b723)

Then again, if you are keeping your 5900X I would eventually perform a clean install of Windows along the road, and download all the latest drivers as I wrote...
Hello! I was just wondering what the max temps/watts/and volts for the 3080 ftw3 ultra should look like. My GPU temps are up almost 70 C and I'm getting around 270-280w when gaming. My volts are 1.2. I've been getting not the best FPS with this card, nothing near as to what I thought it would be and I only game at 1080p. I should be maxing out all settings and getting well above what I have been getting for most of these games. I'm so confused. I've tried what feels like everything. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

PC Specs:
RTX 3080 EVGA FTW3 Ultra
Ryzen 9 5900x
ASUS PRIME Z370-A
PSU 850w Corsair
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz
H100 Corsair Liquid Cooler
x3 Samsung SSD's - x2 500g x1 1 Terra
144 Hz 1080p Acer Monitor

Hello there,

You have a problem with your list, AMD CPU but intel motherboard....

Your temps are fine, voltage seems ok too, Whats the usage of both GPU and CPU while playing?

Anyways, Whats the game thats having "issues", or not working as fast as you wanted to?

Bobo1458

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
Ooops didn't mean to put that motherboard haha here it is.

In RDR 2 getting about 80-90 fps with about 35-55% CPU usage and 88-97% GPU usage.
In AC Valhalla getting about 80-90 fps with around the same as RDR 2.

Forza Horizon 4 runs like a dream though on all settings cranked to max it barely ever dips below 144 fps.

I'm so confused as to why there is inconsistencies. I've had this card for 2 weeks now and I've been doing nothing but troubleshooting it. I have 3D Mark tests if you want me to show you those too.

The videos where I have seen my exact same setup @ 1080p they run almost all the games at max settings with 144+ fps.
Thank you for responding I know this is a lot.

@Bobo1458

Whats the exact model of your corsair PSU?

Please run userbenchmark, and then share the result link here.

GamerNexus runs RDR2 on High-Custom settings (this means not everything at high), with an OC 10700K and they get what you can see in the article: https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3618-nvidia-rtx-3080-founders-edition-review-benchmarks. You can try set the visual setting to high and see how far or close you are to their results, its never going to be apples to apples of course. For RDR2 have you tried DX12 vs Vulkan?

Another thing that comes to my mind is your 3000 MHz RAM, for Ryzen higher speed / lower timming memory can have an impact on your FPS. Are you positive the RAM is working in dual channel and that you have enable DOCP to achieve those 3000MHz?
The speed wont be a huge impact on FPS but its there. Dual channel is a big impact on FPS.

Reactions: dotas1

Bobo1458

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
Ok so my PSU is this and I'm actually getting a new one this weekend which will be this model. I'm testing it out to see maybe if it is my power supply that's holding me back somehow. Because I have 2 6 + 2 corsair power cables that are plugged up to my GPU that didn't come with my PSU only because I wasn't able to find my original cables. And then one 6+2 pigtail cable that's plugged up that came with my PSU.

Results from User Benchmark:
UserBenchmarks: Game 200%, Desk 98%, Work 231%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 95%
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 - 218.4%
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500GB - 74.2%
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500GB - 107.6%
SSD: Samsung 860 QVO 1TB - 91.5%
USB: USB DISK 2.0 4GB - 6.5%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB - 68.1%
MBD: Asus PRIME X570-PRO

So for the RDR 2 high settings they used the FE edition, would they be getting different fps than my FTW3 Ultra edition? I only do DX12 because if I try Vulkan it doesn't let me do anything higher than 60hz refresh rate. Which is super weird.

Ok so I did go into my bios and I've had the XMP/ DOCP enabled in my bios before I made this post and before I did the UserBenchmark, but UserBenchmark is saying that my ram is under performing D:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)C drive/OS is being choked to high hell. What the heck is going on there? If the OS is being choked, it's going to affect everything else.
Virus/malware? Installed too many files on it?
Either way, it's got too much on it - the 860 Evo is almost there too.

2)860 QVO. I figure this one has too much installed on it too.
The QVOs tradeoff some performance to get the cost down. They're not nearly as bad as dramless SSDs though.

3)Ram is on the slow side for Ryzen 5000, then you have a gpu that's overkill for 1080p, so you're much more likely to be limited by the cpu, or the game engine itself.
The ram config matters more in cpu limited scenarios.
The price to performance sweet spot is 3600 CL16. More on Ryzen 5000 memory performance here:
https://www.youtube(dot)com/watch?v=AGux0pANft0 (change the dot in parenthesis)

4)Cpu. Not sure about this one. It could be that:
-the thermals aren't great. Turbo boost is tied to thermals and power consumption.
-maybe the bios needs to be updated.
-motherboard chipset and other drivers not up to date.
-bad overclock.
I dunno for sure. Hopefully someone else can shed more light here.

Reactions: dotas1
So RAM is not performing as well as you will want, and this is after you enable DOCP in BIOS?...

Are you positive the RAM is intalled in dual channel? Your motherborad have 4 RAM slots, sticks should be inserted on slot 2 and 4 counting from the CPU to the right.

1)C drive/OS is being choked to high hell. What the heck is going on there? If the OS is being choked, it's going to affect everything else.

The QVOs tradeoff some performance to get the cost down. They're not nearly as bad as dramless SSDs though.

3)Ram is on the slow side for Ryzen 5000, then you have a gpu that's overkill for 1080p, so you're much more likely to be limited by the cpu, or the game engine itself.
The price to performance sweet spot is 3600 CL16. More on Ryzen 5000 memory performance here:

-the thermals aren't great. Turbo boost is tied to thermals and power consumption.
-bad overclock.

I think the problem with C drive is that only have 4 GB left of free space.

As for the CPU performance could be tied to both C: drive and RAM performance.

Reactions: dotas1 and Phaaze88

Bobo1458

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
I think the problem with C drive is that only have 4 GB left of free space.

As for the CPU performance could be tied to both C: drive and RAM performance.
Very interesting, I just moved my RAM over to slot 4 from 1 and I got a better rating on UserBenchmark. So my C drive being full like that is because I have a lot of games installed on it. Could that be slowing down my performance in games?

I'm still averaging about 80-90 fps in Metro Exodus 1080p sadly :( with 50-60% GPU Utilization and 30-42% CPU utilization.

Bobo1458

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014

-bad overclock.
With SSDs I thought you could almost max out a hard drive and it would still run fine and HDDs are the one's that take more time to load with a maxed out drive.

Even when I had my 8700k I was still getting performance loss with my 3080. I'm so lost as to what it might be. I'm starting to think my card is defective.

What's a good amount of space to have cleared for my C drive to run optimally?

btw thats a really nice bump on the memory performance!

Besides what Phaaze88 just wrote, you should have at least 10% of free space (if its a little more the better).

So let me recap, you changed from a Core i7 8700K to a Ryzen 9 5900X, question, Did you made a fresh clean install of Windows?

Last edited:

Bobo1458

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
You've got multiple things going on. It's not going to be as simple as 'fix this one thing, and you're done'.
It's also not ideal to have the OS and game library on the same drive.
Ok duly noted. I uninstalled a game off of there and now have 45.5gb of 500gb free space. So what are the steps to take to figure out what the root of the problem is?

Bobo1458

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
btw thats a really nice bump on the memory performance!

Besides what Phaaze88 just wrote, you should have at least 10% of free space (if its a little more the better).

So let me recap, you changed from a Core i7 8700K to a Ryzen 9 5900X, question, Did you made a fresh clean install of Windows?
Ok, I uninstalled a game off of the drive and have 45.5 of 465gb free now.

Yes and I'm going to be switching back to my 8700k this weekend and returning my 5900x just to save some money. I also did a fresh install of windows and cleared my C drive completely when I got my new RTX 3080 thinking it would make my system and games run faster.

Ok, I uninstalled a game off of the drive and have 45.5 of 465gb free now.

Yes and I'm going to be switching back to my 8700k this weekend and returning my 5900x just to save some money. I also did a fresh install of windows and cleared my C drive completely when I got my new RTX 3080 thinking it would make my system and games run faster.

I see but no, this is not what Im asking up there. When you changed the platform, from the core i7 to the Ryzen 9, that moment in time, Did you made a new fresh clean install of Windows?

Runing the same windows install when changing from intel to amd never leads to good results.

Bobo1458

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
I see but no, this is not what Im asking up there. When you changed the platform, from the core i7 to the Ryzen 9, that moment in time, Did you made a new fresh clean install of Windows?

Runing the same windows install when changing from intel to amd never leads to good results.
Ohhh no I did not do fresh install when I changed processors.

Well crappppp. How do I even know what my windows is updated to in regards to what CPU I'm using?

Well you had core i7 8700K right?, one day you shut down the PC, removed the motherboard and core i7 8700k, and installed a brand new mobo + Ryzen 9 5900X (please correct me if Im wrong at any time). Then you turned the PC On and instead of installing a brand new fresh Windows 10, you just let it start and "auto fix" itself to try to "survive" to this new "body" and "brain" you just installed.

Windows 10 is not like previous Windows which would have refused to load, instead Windows 10 try to move on and load at all cost.

If thats what happend to your PC, then installing a clean Windows 10 + all latest drivers may help with your current low FPS situation (remember to donwload chipset drivers from AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support, they should have the latest ones).

Need to go sleep, too late already have to work tomorrow, good luck!

Bobo1458

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
Well you had core i7 8700K right?, one day you shut down the PC, removed the motherboard and core i7 8700k, and installed a brand new mobo + Ryzen 9 5900X (please correct me if Im wrong at any time). Then you turned the PC On and instead of installing a brand new fresh Windows 10, you just let it start and "auto fix" itself to try to "survive" to this new "body" and "brain" you just installed.

Windows 10 is not like previous Windows which would have refused to load, instead Windows 10 try to move on and load at all cost.

If thats what happend to your PC, then installing a clean Windows 10 + all latest drivers may help with your current low FPS situation (remember to donwload chipset drivers from AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support, they should have the latest ones).

Need to go sleep, too late already have to work tomorrow, good luck!
You nailed it right on the head! Ok, so I'm going to have to wait on this one. This weekend my brother and I are going to install my old CPU and Mobo back in again. Once I do this, will I have to do a fresh install of windows again? Or will I be able to just run it after installing?

Goodnight friend! Thank you for all the help, this is greatly appreciated!

Remeca

Reputable
You nailed it right on the head! Ok, so I'm going to have to wait on this one. This weekend my brother and I are going to install my old CPU and Mobo back in again. Once I do this, will I have to do a fresh install of windows again? Or will I be able to just run it after installing?

No need to install the old cpu and motherboard, just create a usb installer (you can do that if you can play games) and then boot from that and format over the old install and install again (rough description, there are detailed guides around here.) Not redownloading all your games in the event of needing a clean Windows install is just one reason it's a good idea to keep the OS and games on separate drives.

Im kinda lost, Are you giving up on the Ryzen 9 5900X and are going to return it?

All you need to do to really test your new system is get a usb drive, go to microsoft and donwload Windows media installation tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10), run the small program and follow the instructions to make a bootable usb device to install Windows on the new 5900X.

Once you are done, just download all the drivers (specially chipset and gpu) and test the games one more time.

If you go back to your old CPU, you will have to install Windows again anyways!

Oh well, good luck!

Bobo1458

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
Im kinda lost, Are you giving up on the Ryzen 9 5900X and are going to return it?

All you need to do to really test your new system is get a usb drive, go to microsoft and donwload Windows media installation tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10), run the small program and follow the instructions to make a bootable usb device to install Windows on the new 5900X.

Once you are done, just download all the drivers (specially chipset and gpu) and test the games one more time.

If you go back to your old CPU, you will have to install Windows again anyways!

Oh well, good luck!
I'm definitely on the fence! I feel like I'll save a lot of money if I just switch back to my 8700k. I was doing some research and it looks like there isn't a substantial increase in gameplay FPS from the two processors. What do you think I should do? I know this should ultimately be my decision, but I'm really just stuck in the middle. I just ordered some new ram x4 8gb 3200 mhz so maybe that might help a little with the 5900x?
(once I figure out which one I'm staying with I'll do the windows update process :))