[SOLVED] RTX 3080 in Chinese Box ?

hadiahmed29

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Hi,
I previously posted about my RTX 3080 which has chinese written on its box.
So later this week i will be getting it so i just wanted to confirm that what precautions should i take to make sure that the card is authentic and not some replica of it ?
Although the guy said that he has shipped many cards like these from China and he never got a complaint and that they are made in Taiwan or Singapore but the packaging is done in China that's why it's in Chinese. Also the card will be of Asus or Gigabyte not Igame or Colorful one

But my friends made me paranoid me about it.
So what should i do Stress test, Warranty card, check boost clocks ?
Kindly guide me Thank you

Last edited:
Solution
Yeah the guy said that there will be a warranty of it and it isn't a second hand GPU.
  1. Unless you are the first purchaser from an authorized retailer, it is "used"
  2. "the guy" is not the source or validation of the warranty. Many manufacturers limit the warranty to the "First purchaser". Which is NotYou.
  3. Chinese labeling on the box may limit any warranty action to China.

https://member.aorus.com/global/productwarranty
"Regional differences may apply. Please contact the location where the original order was placed. "

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi,
I previously posted about my RTX 3080 which has chinese written on its box.
So later this week i will be getting it so i just wanted to confirm that what precautions should i take to make sure that the card is authentic and not some replica of it ?
Although the guy said that he has shipped many cards like these from China and he never got a complaint and that they are made in Taiwan or Singapore but the packaging is done in China that's why it's in Chinese. Also the card will be of Asus or Gigabyte not Igame or Colorful one

But my friends made me paranoid me about it.
So what should i do Stress test, Warranty card, check boost clocks ?
Kindly guide me Thank you
If it was manufactured for retail sale in China then yes it would be in a Chinese Box.
You can use GPU-Z to check the card.

https://tpucdn.com/review/asus-geforce-rtx-3080-tuf-gaming-oc/images/gpuz-overclocking.gif

hadiahmed29

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hey thank you for the response so if the card is from Gigabyte so i would have to check on GPU-Z if the card is legit or not and how do i check it is it that sub vendor thing ?
Not sure what you mean sub vendor but GPU-Z should catch a fake card.

If your buying the card from somebody in China you would have probably no action you could take if you got scamed so that has to be your choice.

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah the guy said that there will be a warranty of it and it isn't a second hand GPU.
  2. "the guy" is not the source or validation of the warranty. Many manufacturers limit the warranty to the "First purchaser". Which is NotYou.

"Regional differences may apply. Please contact the location where the original order was placed. "

Reactions: norcalsc
Solution

hadiahmed29

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018

If your buying the card from somebody in China you would have probably no action you could take if you got scamed so that has to be your choice.

No im not buying the card from China its a computer store where i usually take my components from i bough i3 8100 gigabyte mobo ram and stuff and they run all fine.

Oh i saw that GPU-Z had that Sub vendor section where its written that which company made the gpu but i guess its totally different to what you've sent
And are you sure it will be able to differentiate and im thinking that i should take your GPU-Z and compare it to the one im getting and if all the settings are similar then it should be genuine right ?

hadiahmed29

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018

I don't know about that i just know that my computer store guy has their distributor in China which he will ship here and i will get it.
Although he said that he has shipped RTX cards in Bulk and never faced any issues.
Will do ask these warranty question whether they will apply here or not

USAFRet

Titan
That sucks big time man and is there any way i can ask Gigabyte to verify the card or not ?
Ask them if he is an authorized retailer.

Where are you buying this from?
An actual store you walk into? Or somewhere online?

"the guy said that there will be a warranty " only counts if it is in writing.
And "a warranty" means nothing, if the terms are not specified. "a warranty" could be 14 days (12 days of which are consumed in shipping).

hadiahmed29

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018

Also i have heard that only the old models of GPUs are sold as fakes and not the recent ones like do you think that the modders will be able to crack all that just few months after the launch ?
And a fake Gigabyte Rtx 3080 would have a different shape or architecture as compared to the real one ?

hadiahmed29

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Ask them if he is an authorized retailer.

Where are you buying this from?
An actual store you walk into? Or somewhere online?

"the guy said that there will be a warranty " only counts if it is in writing.
And "a warranty" means nothing, if the terms are not specified. "a warranty" could be 14 days (12 days of which are consumed in shipping).

Im buying it from a store i regularly buy stuff from i bought different components from years and they are all working fine with no issues.
I don't think he is an official retailer i would've to ask he just told me that the cards are made in Taiwan and then shipped to china for packaging so im assuming that they were made to be sold in China.
Yes the warranty will be in written and if the warranty isn't 2 3 years i won't buy it as there is no official AMD distributor here so the stores here give a warranty of 14 to 30 days that's why

USAFRet

Titan
Im buying it from a store i regularly buy stuff from i bought different components from years and they are all working fine with no issues.
I don't think he is an official retailer i would've to ask he just told me that the cards are made in Taiwan and then shipped to china for packaging so im assuming that they were made to be sold in China.
Yes the warranty will be in written and if the warranty isn't 2 3 years i won't buy it as there is no official AMD distributor here so the stores here give a warranty of 14 to 30 days that's why
All up to you.
A 3080 is a non-trivial amount of money.

Is it likely to be fake? Probably not.
Are you likely to get any warranty from Gigabyte? Also probably not.

TRENDING THREADS