BlazingAngels

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2015
I am not sure if the VBios rom that I linked for the RTX 4080 Gaming X Trio is legitimate or not. I am aware that I will need to back up the current rom with GPU-Z and or NVFlash and I have instructions to restore my previous VBios incase the VBios flash does not work properly. I am concerned where exactly this VBios on TechPowerUp came from. It is not listed anywhere on the download page for my card on MSI's site.

BlazingAngels

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2015
Then updating the BIOS is a terrible idea. GPUs don't have BIOS updates like motherboards. It's a risky process that voids the warranty when you update a GPU bios.
I did not know that. I'll keep that in mind. Not sure if that applies to VBios that are on the vendors site.

It says it is unverified
mine vbios is also unverified, doesnt mean anything if its new
I am not sure if the VBios rom that I linked for the RTX 4080 Gaming X Trio is legitimate or not. I am aware that I will need to back up the current rom with GPU-Z and or NVFlash and I have instructions to restore my previous VBios incase the VBios flash does not work properly. I am concerned where exactly this VBios on TechPowerUp came from. It is not listed anywhere on the download page for my card on MSI's site.
that is for silent vbios

Thought there might be a performance gain or other fixes. The card works fine. Absolutely no issues.
BIOS updates of any sort almost never provide performance gains*. I mean, if you think about it, why would anyone want to ship hardware that was nerfed at the firmware level, then ask people to do something that could potentially brick their video card to get more performance? A one off is acceptable, but if this is common practice, then the hardware manufacturer needs to fire their firmware team and get a new one.

And if there was a fix to something, it would've made the rounds on tech sites. Which as far as I know, there hasn't been any vBIOS updates issued for any GeForce 40 card to fix some kind of problem.

*The only one I'm aware of that did offer a performance boost, although all this did was change the default clock speeds, was the RX 5600/5600XT, and that was right before the card's launch. So it's a bit of a stretch to call this a vBIOS update in the typical sense. By the way, this pissed off a lot of manufacturers.