[SOLVED] RTX2080 Display port works randomly

Dec 23, 2021
So I bought a pre built system that does work just fine but there is an odd issue any time I have to move the GPU and disconnect the display cables from it the ports will stop working then I have to sit there and switch ports on the GPU which will eventually work on a different port that it was originally in. Ive verified this by trying again and the port that worked changed again. Im running a display and an HDMI cable. I would think its a monitor issue but the monitors have worked obviously because they are currently working but this issue of the ports changing what works and what doesnt is very weird and I dont even know where to begin to take care of it. Would this be a power issue possibly? its a 750w power supply i9 9900k 32GB XPG 3000MHZ RGB RAM a coolermaster hyper 212 cpu cooler and the rtx2080.

Solution
The only reasons I can think of for ports to start/stop working whenever something is plugged into it are:
1- flaky GPU
2- flaky cables
3- flaky monitors

If you have another PC, test your cables and monitors on it. If the flaky monitor detection only affects your new PC, then it very likely has a bad GPU.

InvalidError

Titan
The only reasons I can think of for ports to start/stop working whenever something is plugged into it are:
1- flaky GPU
2- flaky cables
3- flaky monitors

If you have another PC, test your cables and monitors on it. If the flaky monitor detection only affects your new PC, then it very likely has a bad GPU.

Solution
Dec 23, 2021
i verified that the monitors and cables are good so it must be the gpu. whats your opinion on a bios update? this is NOT a dual bios card though so im worried about the risk

i verified that the monitors and cables are good so it must be the gpu. whats your opinion on a bios update? this is NOT a dual bios card though so im worried about the risk
This should be your last resort when warranty has expired. Messing with vBIOS is a bad idea, you might end up with a gpushaped brick.

I see no reason for you to try repair/troubleshoot the PC since you have warranty. The components inside should work without you doing anything. Contact the shop, use warranty.