Rumor: IBM possibly laying off 100,00+ US employees

knowsitall

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2007/pulpit_20070504_002027.html

This is crazy if true. I didn't realize that they employed 350k employee's, but even so... 100k is a major blow to the workforce.

I hope this rumor isn't true.

i take it u work for ibm? u better start bringing donuts in the morning for ur boss, and ask for them to lower ur sallery ;)

Harrisson

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Lets live and see. Intel is on the roll and still canning ~15% of workers, so would be surprised if IBM would do something similar as well to be "lean and clean", but 40+% layoffs? I seriously doubt it. Check IBM financials, they are very strong and such action wouldnt make any sense.

Phanboy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
100,000 might be a misprint, 10,000 sounds more reasonable, IBM is nowhere near the point where they need to consider downsizing of this magnitude -- (finanically anyway)....

Jack,

I think the i the idea was to replace 100,000 US employees with around as many offshore.

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
I doubt that IBM has 350K employees, Intel is the largest Microprocessor supplier in the world and only has about 90k. Not sure what IBM would do to have 4x as many employees than Intel?

But the industry is cyclical and 'tis the season for lay off in the IC industry.

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
I think the i the idea was to replace 100,000 US employees with around as many offshore.

If this is what is going to happen, then I feel for the people who will go through it. I've seen offshoring first-hand and it's a very unpleasant consequence of the ugly money-oriented corporate culture that now exists.

xpresso

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2007/pulpit_20070504_002027.html

This is crazy if true. I didn't realize that they employed 350k employee's, but even so... 100k is a major blow to the workforce.

I hope this rumor isn't true.

This is sick, IBM wants to reduce cost by replacing US workers with oversees jobs, terminating pensions along the way. If this is true, I have completely lost respect for IBM. I never had much respect for their semiconductor division to start with (that latest air gap crap they published is another sign of deparation by their semi division). All the recent publications by IBM semi group gives indications that they are despaerate to be significant, it is typical of money losing or unwanted parts of a company to publish lots of fluff to make themseleves sound valuable when they're about to be sold...been there :)

Harrisson

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Just a thought: the most profitable IBM part is software and its quite easy to move such business to India, etc. Maybe most changes will be done here?

Glacier

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
This is sick, IBM wants to reduce cost by replacing US workers with oversees jobs, terminating pensions along the way. If this is true, I have completely lost respect for IBM. I never had much respect for their semiconductor division to start with (that latest air gap crap they published is another sign of deparation by their semi division). All the recent publications by IBM semi group gives indications that they are despaerate to be significant, it is typical of money losing or unwanted parts of a company to publish lots of fluff to make themseleves sound valuable when they're about to be sold...been there

:evil: Sending jobs overseas seems to be standard procedure these days, and it makes me sick to death. I hope to heck IBM doesn't send 100,000 jobs overseas. The middle-class of America is being destroyed by this offshoring, among other things.