Rumor: New Windows 8 64-bit UI Called ''Wind''

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

itookmypills

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
OK... I'm tired of upgrading and paying Micro$oft every 3-4 years for their new OS. I've switched to Ubuntu and I happier than every with being able to move to the newer versions for FREE. MS really knows how to work people over, as a business, for the most money possible through their release schedule. I'm in the military we just got done "upgrading" to Vista and will upgrade to 7 in the near future. WTF? XP worked for what we needed to do!

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Online based DRM means that when the company decided that it is no longer profitable to run those DRM servers, they can kill them and kill your OS along with it.
It has happened with games and it will happen with windows.

Microsoft sees that most people are still using windows xp. so in the future microsoft will probably want to have key files and other DRM related crap on a DRm server so when they release another OS, they can be like
"oh you don't want to upgrade, lets see you try using your computer when we turn the DRM servers off"

Hopefully microsoft does not use cloud based DRM because as everyone knows that it has never been successful in games that do it.

I keep saying this:
Cloud depends on good (by Western standards) internet access. There's a lot of places in the world where that is not available.

And there are places in the world subject to internet censorship (I work in one of them). How will that affect cloud computing?

frostyfireball

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I can't see why they would make a 32-bit OS still.
The people that need that much legacy support are all still on XP and won't have any intention to move on to a later OS. People that have >5 year old hardware that can't run 64-bit software should just buy a new computer since it won't be worth the 220$ to upgrade windows.
I say they should drop 32-bit for windows 8 and put all their R&D/time into getting the 64-bit version right the first time so we won't have another Vista.

frostyfireball

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I can't see why they would make a 32-bit OS still.
The people that need that much legacy support are all still on XP and won't have any intention to move on to a later OS. People that have >5 year old hardware that can't run 64-bit software should just buy a new computer since it won't be worth the 220$ to upgrade windows.
I say they should drop 32-bit for windows 8 and put all their R&D/time into getting the 64-bit version right the first time so we won't have another Vista.
I'm open to the Cloud thing aslong as it isn't mandatory to use the OS fully.

itookmypills

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
[citation][nom]frostyfireball[/nom]I say they should drop 32-bit for windows 8 and put all their R&D/time into getting the 64-bit version right the first time so we won't have another Vista.[/citation]
Oh, they want another Vista! That is how they work it! Win98(great) -> WinME(sucked) then XP(great) -> Vista(sucked) then Win7(great) -> Win8(will suck). Win8 will be replaced by an operation system that will save us from Windows 8, just like Windows 7 saved us from Vista.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
No thanks. I'll stick with Ubuntu.

Google's Chrome OS is nice as well. At least Google is releasing most of its cloud plans as open source. With MS, you would not only pay for the license, but you would be shackled to their cloud FOREVER !

Oh wait, most of you already are.

G

Ubuntu can't run Crisys, so stopping whining, freefaggots.

And to the paranoid ones, without internet W8 will work normally and won't will do online check, when internet enabled It will work and will do online check, simple as that, just like Xbox360.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]rubix_1011[/nom] Consider this similar to trying to play recent games that REQUIRED a web connection to register/start playing...even offline content.[/citation]

Which I have not, and Will not pay for, ever. I've even seen some of these games being sold for as low as $5; ones I would really enjoy playing more than likely. But there is a principle there.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Point taken.

Google is turning Linux into a better proposition in games and in productivity software.

I like open standards better than what Windows offers. It is easier to trust a cloud company that uses open standards than one that keeps its card close to its vest.

pharoahhalfdead

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
[citation][nom]randomhero1090[/nom]Wind...Cloud... Enough with weather already.[/citation]
Sounds alot like the movie "Storm Riders."

If all you need is a hard drive large enough to install windows, then instead of selling windows on disk, Micro-cult will start selling puny 30gb sized hard drives with Windows pre-installed, to cut down on piracy, all in the name of the Almighty Micro-cult. Since you wont need a hard drive upgrade, bcuz Micro-cult will have all the storage you need, let's see how Western Digital, OCZ, Kingston, and other hard drive, and SSD makers react to this one. Will their be a rise in pricing, or drop in pricing? Will they support it or be against it? That's the question for the day...

gomi

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
I don't want my files and information stored in the cloud. No windows 8 for me if thats the only way to store my data.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]FFS why 32-bit aswell...[/citation]

Because there still is a market segment for 32 bit (even if it's small). I think it can't get more simple than that.

The good part is that software developers will focus on the 64 bit platform because that will be dominant.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]And unlike Linux/Unix it has support and doesn't need me to tinker with the kernal or a command prompt to get hardware to work.[/citation]
I installed fedora and ubuntu on several computers, from the most ancient ones, to the most recent one and they all installed all the drivers just fine, just had to enable the video driver on the ati/nvidia based ones. I especially like Ubuntu now because it is easier to install programs and especially video codecs then it is on windows. the only downfall is that it still lacks in support from companies such as skype, whose Video chat is still crap, yahoo M! and games.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Network requirements already are a problem on win7. When a computer need to be isolated because of security, it can't be activated.

If win8 requires permanent (or periodic) network, is a fail.

vectorm12

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
[citation][nom]itookmypills[/nom]OK... I'm tired of upgrading and paying Micro$oft every 3-4 years for their new OS. I've switched to Ubuntu and I happier than every with being able to move to the newer versions for FREE. MS really knows how to work people over, as a business, for the most money possible through their release schedule. I'm in the military we just got done "upgrading" to Vista and will upgrade to 7 in the near future. WTF? XP worked for what we needed to do![/citation]

Paying for a OS upgrade every 3-4 years isn't unreasonable in any way, I mean how long do you intend to use your system anyway? Why would Microsoft pour massive resources into developing a new OS if they can't charge for the improvements? It's like arguing that you should get a free upgrade from XP to windows 7 since you payed for XP 10 years ago.

The most likely reason they chose to upgrade from XP was the fact that XP was a security-nightmare from start to finish. Sure you could (through extensive tweaking) make it fairly secure but the features that were introduced with 64bit Vista(new kernel, memory management etc, etc, etc) makes it a far more secure OS.

However I am not willing to install a OS that relies on Microsoft's cloud-servers in order to operate, no matter what improvements it will bring. A OS that is tethered to anything in anyway will always be a weak one as it's gonna rely on you internet connection to function properly not to mention the fact that it opens up room for more exploits than I care to imagine.

In short 32bit Xp was a more reliable choice than 64bit vista the first year or so but have since then been completely obsolete, primarily from a security standpoint. I will however not under any circumstances upgrade from 7 if 8 is in any way tethered to the Microsoft cloud.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
I realize it's MS' answer to Google which is basically already a cloud setup. Convenience is excellent, BUT there is no way anyone can convince me that data is safe. All it takes is a corrupt employee at the server location and your payment info and taxes and whatever you want to keep private if on his platter. I am old-fashioned, I guess, and will sit back if Win8 has no "clear sky" mode (as opposed to cloud). It's the same reason I don't use Google docs.

Status
Not open for further replies.