Rumor: New Windows 8 64-bit UI Called ''Wind''

Status
Not open for further replies.

daygall

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
well cloud based eh? call me old fashioned but if thats the case im never goin past win7 thank you, i like my computer to have the ability to be off network

like my 1 box i have that has never even seen a network cause i do my taxes on it... cloud based os.... whats next stream your gameing as a video... wait nvm -_-

squanto

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
I am not liking the sound of this cloud stuff. Balmer gave a talk at my school and brought a server bus. I swear one day we will all have only monitors with every peripheral wireless, even the power (as inefficient as it is now)

Horhe

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
What if I don't have an Internet connection?

I know, it's a rumor, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was true.

micr0be

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
The only time Microsoft will make something that doesn't suck is when they start making vacuums cleaners. except i need them for games.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
If you don't have/refuse a web connection, it will still work, but not have the features of backup/restore of kernel files, etc if needed in case of recovery.

It would be the same issue that people have now; not getting updates, etc...however, many applications might fail to fully work without the web dependency as they might be seen as 'not needed'. Consider this similar to trying to play recent games that REQUIRED a web connection to register/start playing...even offline content.

[citation][nom]Spore[/nom]I was kind of hoping Windows 8 wouldn't even have a 32bit version.[/citation]

Although the adaptation of Windows 7 64bit has been very good, in fact the majority of Windows 7 used is 64bit due to it being better than 32bit, there are still and probably will still be some laggers who need a 32bit version. I will bet that the majority of the people who use Windows 8 will be on 64bit but still as I said, we will have a few that need 32bit.

MS cannot kill 32bit unless there is 100% proof that no one uses it and that all software is coded for 64bit.

[citation][nom]micr0be[/nom]The only time Microsoft will make something that doesn't suck is when they start making vacuums cleaners. except i need them for games.[/citation]

Yea........ I actually like 7. In fact I find it better than Mac OS or even Linux/Unix. Unlike OSX, I can put it on any hardware and I have a choice of what I do. And unlike Linux/Unix it has support and doesn't need me to tinker with the kernal or a command prompt to get hardware to work.

I guess I am just a bit lazy that way but if you look at everything overall, Windows is pretty damn good compared to the other stuff.

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
If they really do go cloud based, it's going to be a hell of a long time before I move on from Windows 7. I just though you folks at Microsoft should know that....

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
I understand many people are well behind the curve but seriously? i think they should eliminate it 100% from Windows 8 and just Extend Windows 7 32bit support down the road maybe? incentive to upgrade their machines, because seriously how many people who upgraded XP to Vista to Windows 7 will be able to continue using this machine when 8 comes around? Clean installations = no point in limiting hardware resources available to the system!

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I guess it makes sense why they call it the "Wind". The cloud needs wind to keep it moving.

Sorry MS, I'm not a cloudy day person :D

Ridik876

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]MS cannot kill 32bit unless there is 100% proof that no one uses it and that all software is coded for 64bit.
[/citation]

1. Anyone who still has a 32bit processor when Windows 8 comes out will be doing fine under their rock and won't need the upgrade anyway.
2. 64bit is backwards compatible.

planchero

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Spore[/nom]I was kind of hoping Windows 8 wouldn't even have a 32bit version.[/citation]
I agree why make another 32bit OS at this point? I wouldn’t recommend that anyone with a 32bit processor buy windows 7 let alone 8 2 years from now. Another thing is some things just shouldn’t run in the Cloud the OS is one of them.

(beware the next part is sarcastic if you don’t understand sarcasm or so not enjoy it please stop reading now.) What’s next cloud BIOS? Darn computer won’t boot "No Internet Detected"!

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007

Yeah, it's time to let go. We've had 64-bit processors for almost 8 years now. I thought computers were on the forefront of technology...

I can see cloud functionality being important, but backing up core components for all computers? I don't think anybody has the servers for that.

I'd love to see the 3D interfaces though, and hope it's compatible with Nvidia 3D :)

Status
Not open for further replies.