Rumors: Microsoft May Be Getting Rid Of Windows Numbering, Nokia Brand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaise170

Honorable
I saw the news a few days ago. Maybe it will ease "consumer confusion" whatever that means, but can you imagine working in my IT department? Hi, I have this computer with Windows, can you fix it?

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Actually, they gave me a great deal of what I was asking for - an OS that was 100% as capable as Windows 7 that also had an interface suitable for ultra portable devices as well. Go figure, it's my favourite version of Windows yet and is on possibly my favourite computing device that I have ever owned, for what it lets me do.

I get the feeling that you people who were screaming "WE WANT A NEW WINDOWS JUST LIKE WINDOWS 7!" sometimes forget that Windows 7 still works just fine and dandy if that's what you want...

anneoneamouse

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
"I'd like to buy a copy of windows please, for a desktop. "
"Certainly Sir, which version would you like- Windows, Windows, or the latest generation, Windows?"

christinebcw

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
I understand Microsoft exec's are happy with this possible change since they won't be threatened with removing shoes and socks when subbing at the Tech Support desks.

"Thank you for calling Microsoft. Which Windows are you using? 7... 8... 9... 10... oops... hold on, let me pull off those socks again."

The marketeers will settle for this outcome, since some of those same execs were whining about "Why not call it WINDOWS AND THIS LI'L PIGGY WENT WEE WEE HOME?"

There are strong denials that those meetings also had one camp demanding the next version sequencing be based on "Dasher, Dancer, Prancer..." etc.

Zepid

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Wasn't the whole purpose of buying Nokia to bring on the legendary name to give some credibility to the Windows Phone platform (after Microsoft decided to ditch the enterprise market when moving from WinPho 6.5 to 7)?

I can't fathom the reason behind the Nokia branding being dropped, in fact I don't believe it.

christinebcw

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Microsoft may be showing that far-sighted brilliance of theirs. After seeing Jobs and Yoko & Paul go at it over a certain fruit name, perhaps Microsoft is undermining a threatened Apple suit if Apple proceeds in acquiring a popular Scandinavian home-furnishings conglomerate. After all, it would easily fit within Apple's current product line - iPhone, iPad, iMac, iSpy, iWant, iHave, iKea.

By avoiding the Kia-Kea wars, Microsoft might be saving oodles of money, this way. Plus maybe a certain South Korean car manufacturer has looked up American '70s auto history and discovered how Chevy's innovative Nova (one of the very first aluminum-block engines) actually earned the Spanish word, "No Va" as in "no go". Especially when so many Nova/NoVa's were seen. littering bar-ditches and service roads.

"OK, no more Kia stuff. No KIA is too insulting, so let's get rid of that name..."

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
I'm glad that windows is making their name changes, since windows 8 and RT brought a ton of confusion. At least Microsoft is fixing their windows naming system.

so, do you want windows or windows, though i wouldn't recommend windows for you, and for god sake windows isn't compatible with your system but you are going to want at least windows to go on.

note im talking about 5 different things without identifiers but windows, this is so stupid, getting rid of numbers for what? letters when they decide to put out 14 skus?

StarBound

Honorable
May 26, 2013
Another stupid idea in a long line of stupid ideas from microsoft if rumour is to be believed. Personally I cannot see this happening unless microsoft plans on having a single OS built with a subscription model, because MS will definitely not release windows for free and support it like steam.

weilin

Distinguished
They went down this path before. Windows XP was actually short for "Windows eXPerience". The idea was one version of windows that's continuously updated and enhanced with new features. XP was supposed to be a modular OS, sorta like what Google did with Android. Move as much of the non-core functionality out of the OS distribution and make it part of an software distribution service that's independent of the OS. At the time, the independent software distribution service was windows update (notice how you could, if you opt in, get other Microsoft software on windows update like Defender, Security essentials, Windows (Live) essentials, Bing desktop/toolbar, etc). Today it would be the new Microsoft (App) Store.

Well, 2002 wasn't really the best time for such an idea... 2015 however, sounds a bit more viable. I see 2 implications from this decision. Either Windows is moving towards a monthly/yearly licensing agreement (What Microsoft thought of doing back with XP), or Windows is moving towards being free. For something to be continuously updated, they can't just sell you one license for life, it all comes down to how worried Microsoft is about marketshare. This will be interesting...

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Windows 9 is to be rumored that it detects what devices you have available and installs the version accordingly.

Have a touchscreen and mouse/keyboard? You'll get the Start Menu Desktop interface with tiles.

Have just a keyboard/mouse? You'll just get the Start Menu Desktop (aka Windows XP/Vista/7)

I'm eagerly awaiting the public release of 9 at the end of the month. See if it's worthy enough to leave my Windows 7.

plast0000

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013
I hope that Windows 9 is worth the upgrade and I'm 100% sure that it will, 7 is not a real upgrade for me and 8 has an annoying UI (plain white? no, metro? it's not very helpful and the classic shell has some bugs)

Vista SP2 x64 user

christinebcw

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Oh, don't worry. Windows 9 will be the greatest operating system on earth! Yessirreee... and all the Win 8 fans should be loading on the very first thing - after all, they whined and cried that everyone else was "afraid of change", so I'm soooo sure they'll all be the first ones switching. From one "greatest OS" to the next one. Uh huh.

TRWRacing

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
@Christine Actually it was the Chevy Vega that had one the all aluminum engine not the Chevy Nova and it was developed by Cosworth.

christinebcw

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
I thought the Nova had an alum block, not the engine, and that caused so many head-gasket issues then warping. Hubby said they made a nice burbling sound before the engine block cracked, though.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Wow...could be big news. In my mind, this can only mean the next Windows may be the last--Windows will be an evolving platform like Office 365. Once that happens there will be little reason to differentiate between versions, since it's either "Windows" or "Windows 8.1/7/Vista/XP" or whatever. Big and bold--and probably still hated. But at some point necessary, it's too difficult for them to keep supporting six different versions of Windows at once. They can finally consolidate around a single platform as early as 2022.

Of course I could be 100% wrong.

TRWRacing

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013

There was a high performance Yenko aluminum block around 1969 but what you describe with warping head gaskets was the Chevy Vega.

christinebcw

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Bourg, I think this is indeed a grandiose vision slammed onto our oh-so-perfect world. I wish Redmond folks would move out to rural America and see how "Always On" looks like, then. Stick 'em with a dial-up or ADSL for a couple of winter months.

And I might ask them to next move to inner Detroit or just east of LAX and let them experience what "urbanizing everyone" might look like. I just don't know anyone who has dreams of living in urban blight, but I know lotsa folks who idolize wide-open spaces and blue skies, streams and forests.

This to me is what an Always On OS would require - everyone living in a few urban centers. One massive freeway, where everyone's living in Downtown Someplace.

Fortunately, we can be certain that Microsoft's first versions won't be very good so we might have more time to convert DVD Shrink over to Slackware Puppy or something!

christinebcw

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Could be. Long before my time. Hubby's discussion was about the NoVA naming flop and their dead cars along the way.

My first car was a fancy-dan one in the mid-90s when I moved from Paris to LA for several month-long stays and everyone said I needed a car there. Yes. I did. But marriage brought me to the first TR6s and an XKE which remain more fun than the Boxster.

Status
Not open for further replies.