[SOLVED] Running 144hz on 1440p Monitor

ajpiper97

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
Looking to upgrade to a higher refresh rate/resolution monitor, been gaming at 60hz at 1080p for a couple years. I think my specs are sufficient but I wanted to double check before I purchase a monitor.

Ryzen 5 3600
RTX 2070S
16GB RAM

Solution
Yes sufficient, will do very well. I run 1440 144Hz on a 2080 Super and achieve over 120fps in games I play. Some more demanding games need settings to be a mixture of medium/high/ultra to achieve this. The 2080 Super isn’t significantly faster than a 2070 Super so I’m sure it can give a good gaming experience as long as you don’t have expectations of maxing out all game settings.

What speed is your RAM and is it 2x8gb?
A 3600 is more than enough. The gpu will be the limiting factor before the cpu in AAA demanding games.
Yes sufficient, will do very well. I run 1440 144Hz on a 2080 Super and achieve over 120fps in games I play. Some more demanding games need settings to be a mixture of medium/high/ultra to achieve this. The 2080 Super isn’t significantly faster than a 2070 Super so I’m sure it can give a good gaming experience as long as you don’t have expectations of maxing out all game settings.

A 3600 is more than enough. The gpu will be the limiting factor before the cpu in AAA demanding games.

Solution
I completely agree with sizzling

I have owned both a 2070 Super and now a 2080 Super within the last 5 months, specifically for 1440p - 144Hz gaming, and the 2070 Super is an excellent GPU for such a setup.

It performs very well, and fine tuning game settings really lets the GPU perform at its maximum.
For example, AA at 2560x1440 isn't necessary in most games, this gains a lot of performance.

Last edited:

ajpiper97

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017

I'm more than willing to play on lower than ultra or play with the settings to get solid performance.

I believe the RAM has up to 2666MHz and it is 2x8gb. 32gb would be overkill, no? Also, how much does RAM speed affect performance? Would it be worth it to upgrade to a, say 3600MHz speed RAM?

Last edited:
I'm more than willing to play on lower than ultra or play with the settings to get solid performance.

I believe the RAM has up to 2666MHz and it is 2x8gb. 32gb would be overkill, no? Also, how much does RAM speed affect performance? Would it be worth it to upgrade to a, say 3600MHz speed RAM?
RAM speed can reduce FPS but at 1440p I’d expect the difference to be less than at say 1080p. How much will be different from one game to the next. In my view it would not be worth changing. 32GB is overkill. My main concern is if you were only running 1x16gb as single channel can have a significant impact on FPS and stuttering.

ajpiper97

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
RAM speed can reduce FPS but at 1440p I’d expect the difference to be less than at say 1080p. How much will be different from one game to the next. In my view it would not be worth changing. 32GB is overkill. My main concern is if you were only running 1x16gb as single channel can have a significant impact on FPS and stuttering.

Ah, I see. The only the other thing I would like to note and get your opinion on if possible is two monitors. I plan on using the 1440p as my main and gaming of course but would like to keep my old 1080p to the side. Will using both monitors cause any performance hits, or the fact that one would be running higher refresh rates? I assume this has more to do with the CPU?