Sep 26, 2020
So, the time has come to upgrade my system. However, i've run into a dilemma.

I need to be able to output to 5 separate displays. And it seems neither AMDs, nor Nvidias new cards support that. Only 3 or 4 outputs. This didn't use to be an issue since in the passed i've only run 4 displays. But i want to add my new 4k TV to the output since these new GPUs have such great 4k gaming performance.

My outputs include
3x 1440p 75hz For my driving sim so all 3 must be driven simultaneously.
1x 4k 60hz monitor for productivity and occasional gaming, does not need to be run simultaneously with the others.
1x 4k 60hz TV, for watching videos/movies and occasional gaming. Does not need to be run simultaneously with the others.

I do not have an IGPU so i can't run 4x on my GPU and 1x on IGPU.

As far as i'm aware, i have 3 options.
  1. Run a secondary GPU for the 2 4k display. Which i'd rather not do. Because it would need to be capable of 4k60 gaming. and next to a 7680x1440p gpu that's just too expensive. And i'd rather not integrate a secondary GPU into my MATX custom loop. I've heard it might be possible to drive the displays on 1 GPU even outputting off another GPU. But i haven't been able to confirm this. This would let me just buy a cheap card as an output instead of a second 4k card.
  2. Run a DP1.4 splitter. As far as i'm aware, this should work. Since i won't need to run all the displays at once. But i have no experience with these products and don't know how well they work in practice. In theory it should be possible to run 7680x1440 75hz off of one DP splitter, DP1.4 has enough bandwidth, but i don't know any splitters that officially support that. Just multi-FHD60 and multi-4k30
  3. Run an output switcher. So that i can choose to output to either the 4k monitor, or the 4k tv, but not both at any given time. This just seems clunky to me. But also seems like the cheapest option.
Does anyone here have any experience of a similar situation? Do you have any solutions for me? And can you confirm my possibilities with the 3 options i already listed?

Last edited:
Solution
"3. Run an output switcher. So that i can choose to output to either the 4k monitor, or the 4k tv, but not both at any given time. This just seems clunky to me. But also seems like the cheapest option "

And likely the simplest.

(Possibly barring unplugging 4K #1 and plugging in 4K #2. Or vice versa. Depends much on the physical layout and cable/port access.)

Pushing a button, to me, is not clunky.

Adding other GPUs, cables, splitters, etc. is likely to become even "clunkier".....

Ralston18

Titan
"3. Run an output switcher. So that i can choose to output to either the 4k monitor, or the 4k tv, but not both at any given time. This just seems clunky to me. But also seems like the cheapest option "

And likely the simplest.

(Possibly barring unplugging 4K #1 and plugging in 4K #2. Or vice versa. Depends much on the physical layout and cable/port access.)

Pushing a button, to me, is not clunky.

Adding other GPUs, cables, splitters, etc. is likely to become even "clunkier".....

Solution