Oct 27, 2022
Hello. Recently built a PC in March of this year. Worked perfectly from the first push of the power button. No issues whatsoever. 12700kf intel running stock. Water cooler. Very recently the processor starting getting hot. It was idling at about 90f and now it is at about 150. Under load, playing a game it gets hotter than I am comfortable with.

ASUS Prime Z690-P D4 LGA 1700
64GBS OF MEMORY
SOLID STATE DRIVE 2TBS
nvidia 1040ti
Thermaltake 650 watt power supply

I am going to pop it open tonight and make sure the cooler is secure on the processor and perhaps blow it out but seriously, this thing has been running like a champ since I slapped it all together. The cooler is a closed system and I am kinda new with water coolers having never used them before this build.

BTW: I have been coming here for years (decades?) but am posting for the first time. I said to myself I am done building PCs but, here I am.

Vana Ivan Pandovski

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2014
Download HWINFO64 it is a very awesome software for temps of CPU, GPU, and everything that has a sensor in the system, also a Load of the cores, voltages, power much many other stuff. You say that you have spikes in temps, well you will see in HWINFO64 that when the spikes are happening the load of the CPU is going to a higher % also see watts.

Oct 27, 2022
There was a rise in idle temps. I don't have an explanation as to why that happened. Nothing unusual running in the background. Not even anything really installed on this machine. OK man, I'll check that out, see what is says.

Vana Ivan Pandovski

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2014
There was a rise in idle temps. I don't have an explanation as to why that happened. Nothing unusual running in the background. Not even anything really installed on this machine. OK man, I'll check that out, see what is says.
Are you familiar with HWINFO 64, do you know the program? Want a link or smt? In it, you will see while you are idle temps are spiking a load of CPU spikes too and wattage too!

Vana Ivan Pandovski

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2014
Most common failure in AIOs is the pump. Assuming all else is in working order (no dust buildup, fans working) that would be a pretty likely reason for temps to suddenly increase.
He has now an issue with temps spiking on idle, I remember that was happening with 1000, 2000 series of Ryzen CPUs, for exmp: the temp is 35c and in 2 seconds goes to 45-50c then goes down, then 4 seconds same thing again, but that was just temp spike, there was no load causing that, so now I asked him to check if some CPU load is present when those spikes are happening, if not that is not dangerous but stupid to have it like that.

Oct 27, 2022
Good Morning. So after watching this thing for the past few days, I came to the conclusion that the liquid cooler has failed. There is nothing wrong with this machine. The cooler is snug on the processor, not too tight, All the fans are working but the cooler just isn't doing its job anymore. Nothing else makes sense. I bought another cooler (tower) as recommended by Tom's Hardware. Now I just have to take this thing apart to put the new cooler on. Fun. Shame this cooler didn't last. I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW: No applications open, sitting at the desktop it is at 200f. Too damn hot.

Oct 27, 2022
Good morning. Yesterday I replaced the water cooler with a Thermalrite tower cooler, Tom's recommendation, and the temps are back down to normal. The only thing was is that I had to take the whole thing apart to resolve the issue. Temps at idle now are like 34c which is pretty good IMHO. I adjusted the fans in BIOS too. I think I am done with water coolers for a while. LoL

Thank you all for the advice.