[SOLVED] Running two screens at different refresh rates - will it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidbenpark

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2014
  • I have a Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Pulse graphics card
  • I'm running Windows 10
  • I have this monitor Acer Nitro XV272UP (27", QHD, 144hz refresh)
I'm about to get this secondary monitor delivered soon:
- Acer Nitro VG270U (27", QHD, 75hz refresh)

Both monitors will be attached using DisplayPort.

Will I be able to run the fast one at 144hz to game, while also using the other one to watch Netflix, browse the web etc. at 75hz? Or would both be restricted to the lowest refresh rate of 75hz?

There's still time for me to cancel the 75hz and go for 2x 144hz, but I was thinking that would be overkill as I only use one to game.

Thanks a lot in advance for any advice!

Dec 3, 2019
So I just bought a second monitor and this isn't working for me. One 60, one 144. Wanted to use the former just to have disco/web browsing up and the right one for gaming. Super hitchy and lots of studdering.

And now, when I go back to the NVidia control panel - the option for 144 is completely missing for some reason (only 60 now selectable).

After restarting - 144 is selectable, but when I apply changes, the screen flashes and then goes right back to 60.

Ideas?

Last edited:

JaAntonio

Honorable
BANNED
Nov 13, 2019
Also remember DP is better than HDMI for high refresh rates, could be your problem, if not check your DP version and what need your monitor to run 144hz. HDMI works sometimes but im not sure.

jimbojones19

Prominent
Apr 7, 2019
You can indeed run two monitors with different refresh rates, im running a 144hz
So I just bought a second monitor and this isn't working for me. One 60, one 144. Wanted to use the former just to have disco/web browsing up and the right one for gaming. Super hitchy and lots of studdering.

And now, when I go back to the NVidia control panel - the option for 144 is completely missing for some reason (only 60 now selectable).

After restarting - 144 is selectable, but when I apply changes, the screen flashes and then goes right back to 60.

Ideas?
Right click, then click display settings, the scroll down and click advanced settings then click "display adaptor properties" and there will be a tab in the window that will pop up for refresh rate and choose your correct RR

Dec 3, 2019
Also remember DP is better than HDMI for high refresh rates, could be your problem, if not check your DP version and what need your monitor to run 144hz. HDMI works sometimes but im not sure.

I have one HDMI, and one DP - could that cause a conflict?

Also oddly - new monitor changes from my PC speakers to a different audio output. (NVIDIA HD Audio) - easy enough to switch back - but I'm having to do it every time.

Dec 3, 2019
You can indeed run two monitors with different refresh rates, im running a 144hz

Right click, then click display settings, the scroll down and click advanced settings then click "display adaptor properties" and there will be a tab in the window that will pop up for refresh rate and choose your correct RR

Same issue. It let me change it, I apply and save the changes, then it goes right back when I check.

Status
Not open for further replies.