I frequently receive "runtime errors" when trying to run programs like
Windows Movie Maker and most often when trying to use Windows Explorer of
all things. What can I do to get rid of them?

I have an Intel Pentium 4, 2.80 GHz processor with Hyper Threading
technology. 512mb DDR SDRAM, 160 GB HDD (5400 rpm), ATI Radeon 9200 AGP
8x graphics card with 128 mb DDR video memory and TV-out.

OS= Windows XP Media Center, sp2.

I'll also add that when I try to upgrade to Windows Movie Maker v2.1, I
receive messages that I can't until I upgrade and install other components,
but when I click the "update" button to do this, the system finds nothing
for me to install. This is so annoying.

Any help truly appreciated.

As posted in reply to your post elsewhere:

IE\Properties\Advanced and uncheck Disable Notification about every script
error and also Disable script debugging
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Katmando wrote:
> I frequently receive "runtime errors" when trying to run programs like
> Windows Movie Maker and most often when trying to use Windows Explorer of
> all things. What can I do to get rid of them?
>
> I have an Intel Pentium 4, 2.80 GHz processor with Hyper Threading
> technology. 512mb DDR SDRAM, 160 GB HDD (5400 rpm), ATI Radeon 9200 AGP
> 8x graphics card with 128 mb DDR video memory and TV-out.
>
> OS= Windows XP Media Center, sp2.
>
> I'll also add that when I try to upgrade to Windows Movie Maker v2.1, I
> receive messages that I can't until I upgrade and install other
> components, but when I click the "update" button to do this, the system
> finds nothing for me to install. This is so annoying.
>
> Any help truly appreciated.

Apart from what the other expert has suggested I shall also advice you
to scan your system with latest versions of Spybot,Search and
Destroy,CWShredder as well as with Adaware.Run all these tools in safe mode.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP
Katmando wrote:

> I frequently receive "runtime errors" when trying to run programs like
> Windows Movie Maker and most often when trying to use Windows Explorer of
> all things. What can I do to get rid of them?
>
> I have an Intel Pentium 4, 2.80 GHz processor with Hyper Threading
> technology. 512mb DDR SDRAM, 160 GB HDD (5400 rpm), ATI Radeon 9200 AGP
> 8x graphics card with 128 mb DDR video memory and TV-out.
>
> OS= Windows XP Media Center, sp2.
>
> I'll also add that when I try to upgrade to Windows Movie Maker v2.1, I
> receive messages that I can't until I upgrade and install other components,
> but when I click the "update" button to do this, the system finds nothing
> for me to install. This is so annoying.
>
> Any help truly appreciated.

Hi Robear

> IE\Properties\Advanced and uncheck Disable Notification about every script
> error and also Disable script debugging

When I do this - the only Advanced properties are Arching and Index
attributes or Compress or Encrypt atttributes - loggin in from User account
with full system privs.

How can I access the Properties you have indicated.

The system is running XP SP2 and up-to-date re all Windows fixes etc, on a
Samsung NX10 laptop ...

Issue is that suddenly - as of today - IE refuses to load/run - I get the
following error..
"Run time Error - program C:\Program File\Internet Explorer\iexplorer.exe
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it ini an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information."

I have AdAware, SpyBot 1.4 and Nortans AV 2005 as my protections.

As of about a week the Spybot updates have been returning 'bad checksum'
errors on it's data updates. However my Server/Desktop system is not affected
by this - else I wouldn't be able to leave this message on the discussion
board.

When I restore the system partition with a prior good versions - using
Acronis - the system appears to be ok - but as soon as SpyBot completes it's
update - then I get requests to allow Register changes for IE - Allowing OR
Debying these changes produce the same result - IE no longer functions (per
above).