qqrakka

Honorable
Oct 19, 2018
Hello everyone!

I've recently noticed via event viewer that since last month, every shutdown and restart I initiate is met with a series of processes running when the computer boots into Windows, one being quite strange. Reading:

The process C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe (DESKTOP-S0SEAB7) has initiated the restart of computer DESKTOP-S0SEAB7 on behalf of user DESKTOP-S0SEAB7\Matt for the following reason: Other (Unplanned)
Reason Code: 0x0
Shutdown Type: restart
Comment:
And the same but for shut downs reading:
The process C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe (DESKTOP-S0SEAB7) has initiated the power off of computer DESKTOP-S0SEAB7 on behalf of user DESKTOP-S0SEAB7\Matt for the following reason: Other (Unplanned)
Reason Code: 0x0
Shutdown Type: power off
Comment:
Is this a possible cause for concern? Is it a normal occurence on Windows 11? I don't have malware on my PC, nor do I have bad sectors anywhere, I don't have any issues with system files and sfc & chkdsk come back clean each time. What could be causing this and is it a problem?

From the threads I've seen researching this problem, it seems people's computers are restarting & shutting down by themselves at random, this only happens to me when I click the Windows logo in the taskbar and click restart or shut down, hence why I am so confused on why it says "Unplanned" or "Unexpected".

Thank you!

Reactions: qqrakka
Solution
Normally Runtime Broker is the process that handles UWP app permissions (basically anything out of the Microsoft Store) on your system to things like the camera, microphone, location info, etc. It can however appear to show up in the Event Viewer if something else has initiated a shutdown/restart. Normally I wouldn't worry about it as onespeedbiker alluded to in the post that was linked, but if you're so inclined, you can always have your virus/malware scanner of choice manually scan it for peace of mind. You should find it in the root of the C:\Windows\system32 folder.

Reactions: qqrakka